8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Jazzie said:
I also believe that besides using a clay bar is paint cleaning. I use the following method:

1:) wash
2:) clay bar
3:) paint cleaner
4:) polish
5:) sealer
6:) wax

Regards
Jazzie

thats what i was thinkign also. i haven't washed my car in ages and i know it has sap and tar all over it. i was thinking fo doing this whole step but will it damage the paint to clay bar then clean it?

what brands are you suing? meguires sells the paint cleane, the polish, and wax. but no sealer, i'm sure they do, but wanst' looking hard enough. Where can i find these products? my pep boys and autozone usually just have meguires. is meguires carnoba wax also good? it comes in that bergundy bottle, the whoel 3 step process does.

·
Registered
63 Posts
that 3 step stuff is amazing, I used that on my accord when I first got it. the whole car looked like it was allways wet, and shiny. you could see your reflection in it if you parked in the shade. but it's about time for me to clean my car again

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
yea, it's beena while since i last posted but i just finished my si w/ the following steps and it looks amazing along w/ being sooooooooo smooth. smoother than my unclayed glass!

wash
clay
cleaner (meguires step1)
polish (meguires step 2)
wax (meguires step 3)

amazing results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
radiocontrolhead said:
yea, it's beena while since i last posted but i just finished my si w/ the following steps and it looks amazing along w/ being sooooooooo smooth. smoother than my unclayed glass!

wash
clay
cleaner (meguires step1)
polish (meguires step 2)
wax (meguires step 3)

amazing results.

Okay, the waxing part is straight forward, but I'm a little confused on what specific products to use for steps 1 & 2 (even looking back at the original post of this thread, under waxing).

And looking at the Meguires product line makes my head spin :eek:

Would you please elaborate....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Indigenous said:
Okay, the waxing part is straight forward, but I'm a little confused on what specific products to use for steps 1 & 2 (even looking back at the original post of this thread, under waxing).

And looking at the Meguires product line makes my head spin :eek:

Would you please elaborate....
Meguiars Products in order of use if you're going with the Deep Crystal system:

Deep Crystal Car Wash

Detailing Clay (take your pick of which one you'd rather use)

Step 1 - Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner

Step 2 - Deep Crystal System Polish

Step 3 - Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax

Quik Detailer - for that "Just waxed" look anytime! ;)
Not really - only use it like any other QD product - when the car is mostly clean...

·
Registered
32 Posts
sweet . . .

CoryB

excellent, thank you.

i am not familar with the d.c. line, but i will see if any of the local retailers in so-cal carry it.:thumb:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Question on waxing...I know to apply the wax with the Yellow Applicator pads...but buffing it off...can I use a regular terry cloth to buff it off and expect not to get any microscratches?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
maiku said:
I would never use a terry cloth on the paint. Your better off buying a box of microfiber towels. They're about $1 each depending on the size and where you get it from. Way worth it IMO.
Do make sure not to drop them on the ground, because they hold everything they touch.

if it's 100% terry, it's absolutely fine. meguiars sells some that are amazingly soft and very paint safe. and those cheap microfiber towels marr the paint.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
detailing

radiocontrolhead said:
if it's 100% terry, it's absolutely fine. meguiars sells some that are amazingly soft and very paint safe. and those cheap microfiber towels marr the paint.
I don't know why but for some reason I thought he meant cotton. Like the rag towels you buy at the auto store. :pat:

Anyway, I've also heard people recommend getting some real good high quality towels at say Bed Bath 'n Beyond.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hello all, I just spent like $60 with the meguiars kit :)
I'm still missing the clay.. Tomorrow I'm going to wash my little NHBP and post some pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
car washes here are cheap. i have my car washed in a professional detailer's shop and they use pressurized water to soak and rinse it, microfibre towels to soap it, dry it with water blades and leaf blowers, vacuums the interior of your car and adds rubs tire black on your wheels. all for $3.

·
Registered
260 Posts
radiocontrolhead said:

wash
clay
cleaner (meguires step1)
polish (meguires step 2)
wax (meguires step 3)

amazing results.
I have a Grand AM that I bought in 02 I use the above method on it twice a year and it still looks new to this day. I wash it with eagle one bucket free car wash. I use mothers clay bar. Then the meguires 3 step process. I'm a firm believe in those product. I will use the same on my SI :thumb:

·
Banned
339 Posts
miestro said:
i just bought a bottle of meguires gold class liquid wax...any good???
I got the 3step kit as well, would it be better to substitute this wax for the step 3 deep crystal carnauba liquid wax?? and with this deep crystal system, no sealer is required to seal the pores of the paint or does the carnauba (step 3) have some in it to do the trick???
cant wait to detail the fiji blue:eek:hnoes:
want to do it right!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some more good detailing info

The Zaino products are excellent also. I need to reorder so I can do my civic, but at the time I last used it I owned a black Altima and when I finished it looked great. Check out the testimonial section on their website.

http://www.zainostore.com

Also the is some more great info in the (Tips and Tricks) section. I plan to order soon and will post pictures when finished. :laughing:

·
Registered
56 Posts
soo I read this great info from the OP, what can I do to fix the mistakes I've done that have lead to major swirls and spiderweb scratches?? wish I read this when I got my car =(

also where can I get a cheap but reliable leaf blower? I've heard from numerous ppl that its great for preventing swirls. but now that I got the swirls can I get rid of them is my question?? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
eminence88 said:
soo I read this great info from the OP, what can I do to fix the mistakes I've done that have lead to major swirls and spiderweb scratches?? wish I read this when I got my car =(

also where can I get a cheap but reliable leaf blower? I've heard from numerous ppl that its great for preventing swirls. but now that I got the swirls can I get rid of them is my question?? thanks in advance
polish then wax :thumb:

and instead of a leaf blower.... a big compressor is INDISPENSIBLE for car detailing... i used compressed air to blow out my interior like every other day... takes 1 minute and makes the black seats look flawless

california duster is amazing too

21 - 40 of 87 Posts