8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a newbie to civics and new to working on cars in general. I have an 06 LX automatic with the 1.8. Nothing special, but I'm hoping to learn with it.

Anyway, I just changed the plugs out b/c my gas mileage is low and it had a bit of a rough idle, and since doing so the idle is much better but now the defrost makes the radio fuzz out.

I've seen this is a common problem, but I'm wondering if I somehow caused it by doing something wrong changing the plugs. I used Denso plugs, gaps seemed to be in the .39-.43 range, and I torqued them to 13 ft/lbs. The car was a little bit warm when I did the change but there seem to be no other issues I can tell.

Anybody got any thoughts?

·
Registered
175 Posts
The spark plugs and radio shouldn't be related.

Are we talking about re defrost blower or the resistive heat defrost for the rear? The rear defrost is relatively high current and just happens to be located right next to your antenna traces on the rear windshield, so the interference is pretty much inevitable. Do you have an aftermarket head unit? My previous car had an aftermarket head unit and it was really bad, but on my civic it's only noticeable when I already have a weak signal on the radio. If you're convinced it's well beyond typical and you have a good strong signal you could look at improving your shielding or adding a filter. Possibly you could go crazy with a capacitor on the defrost circuit, but I've honestly never tried it or talked to anyone who has but it theoretically should clean up your power in that circuit to help.
Now that I'm thinking of it, how fresh is your battery? If its weak, your voltage (or current in this case, thanks to V=IR) will fluctuate more than usual as the alternator spins, causing extra interference. A bad battery connection (loose or corroded) can do the same thing.

Sorry theres no specific answer, but hopefully I've given you some things to consider

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think the resistive heat defrost. The bottom right on the above pic. I'm not sure how fresh the battery is, but I had it and the alternator tested about a month ago and they were both within the ranges they're supposed to be. It's possible that this has been an issue since I bought it in the beginning of April, and I just haven't had the rear defrost on yet with the radio on at the same time. It's been pretty warm here since then, but we had a recent cold snap so I had to turn it on the other night.

It seems like it was the worst the first night I noticed it, and since then it's not quite as bad. I'm wondering if the computer is perhaps adjusting to the slight variations in voltage with the new plugs. And it also is less noticeable when the radio signal is strong.

Idk, I'm just a bit gunshy since I've never really worked on my own cars before, and I changed the plugs when the car was still a little warm. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just to follow up, yes thats the resistive rear defrost. If your battery is good I would check the cables to make sure they're tight without no corrosion (don't forget to check the connections between cable and terminal clamp) and that's all I would do unless you're super bothered by the static.

Personally I always just changed the channel or switched to a CD or streamed something off my phone when it happened so I never put much work into the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
MisterBek
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing