·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I found the steps to do this in this thread (posted by dentrecords):
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29193

1. Turn car on.
2. Turn temperature knob all the way cold and turn the fan knob to off.
3. Put vent location to "face"
4. Turn car off
5. Hold down the Recirculation Button and the A/C Button.
6. Hold down both buttons and turn the key all the way to the on position.
7. Keep both buttons depressed until one of the lights blink a few times, then you get a solid green light once the change has been made. Then let go.
8. See if it works by putting the fan on in Defrost. You should see the A/C light turn on and you should be able to turn it off.

The steps worked like a charm. I can now defrost my frozen windows without waisting money (and slowing things down) with AC.

Good luck!
Scott

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, because I never want to go back, but I would assume so. Worst case I bet pulling the battery for a while will do the trick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Scott,

Great find and thanks! I did it w/out turning the car on. Just turn the key to the on position instead. Ye it's good not 2 turn on AC when all we need sometimes it's only heat.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you want to turn it off?

If so you could probably call your local dealership for the procedure. You could also PM dentrecords to see where he got the procedure, maybe there is a reversal. If neither of those works I believe that pulling the battery resets the ECU.

Scott

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone figured out how to return to the default setting of AC on when in defrost mode? I have been reading about this for a while both here and on other forums but no one seems to know how to revert back to the factory setting should the need arise.

Edit:

I found instructions in a Honda Element forum explaining how to return to the factory setting. I have modified them to apply to the Civic. I have also tested them and it works!

View attachment 4765

To deactivate automatic a/c feature:

1. Select dash vent button
2. Turn fan knob to off position.
3. Turn temperature knob all the way to coldest setting
4. Turn vehicle off.
5. Hold down both air re-circulation button and a/c button while starting the vehicle.
6. Continue holding for 7 seconds until air re-circulation button stops flashing.
7. Now when you select defrost mode the a/c compressor will turn on but so will the a/c light on the a/c button. You can now press the a/c button and turn the compressor on or off. Even when you turn the car off the setting will be stored.

To reactivate automatic a/c feature:

1. (Select defrost mode button)
2. Turn fan knob to off position.
3. Turn temperature knob all the way to the coldest setting.
4. Turn vehicle off.
5. Hold down both air re-circulation button and a/c button while starting the vehicle.
6. Continue holding for 7 seconds until air re-circulation button stops flashing.
7. After this, the a/c light will turn to green and it's back to factory setting!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the stock civics, although the AC light does not come on when you activate your defrost, the AC compressor does. There is no way to change this unless you do the said modification.

I will try and observe your second question next time I drive.

Scott

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Hi All,

I found the steps to do this in this thread (posted by dentrecords):
Why is my A/C always on? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

1. Turn car on.
2. Turn temperature knob all the way cold and turn the fan knob to off.
3. Put vent location to "face"
4. Turn car off
5. Hold down the Recirculation Button and the A/C Button.
6. Hold down both buttons and turn the key all the way to the on position.
7. Keep both buttons depressed until one of the lights blink a few times, then you get a solid green light once the change has been made. Then let go.
8. See if it works by putting the fan on in Defrost. You should see the A/C light turn on and you should be able to turn it off.

The steps worked like a charm. I can now defrost my frozen windows without waisting money (and slowing things down) with AC.

Good luck!
Scott
awesome. thanks for the directions.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Now guys (and girls) remember, this was done for a reason. I'm not telling you not to do the hack, I did it myself a few weeks ago. The reason your A/C comes on when you hit the defrost is that the A/C takes moisture from the air and your windows will clear much faster with the A/C on.

So, in the past Hondas used to be the way ours will be "after the hack", that is, you hit defrost and the A/C light comes on and gives you the choice to turn it back off (Some still are this way, my mom's Accord is) but people would turn it off thinking they didn't want the air on and then complain that the defrost didn't work well (duh! why do you think it came on in the first place?!?)

So, long story short, don't be hasty to hit the button of you need the window cleared. Once it's clean, if you like to leave your fan on the defrost setting then you can turn the A/C off so that the compressor isn't running all the time, that's why I did it...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I did the mod back in December and noticed that my average fuel mileage increased. But at the same time I noticed that my windows take a bit more time to defog.

Strangely, when I turn on the window defrost, I don't have to turn off the AC compressor.. although I can turn it on if I wish.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts