8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need to get my car inspected i have the kidd racing with no cat and i have a CEL and i need to get rid of it asap in order to get an inspection, so im gonna buy a defouler but i wanan know exaclty what one is the best, thier are like 4 types out their and i jus wanna know what the best one is from ppl who have experience with it, also i live in north jersey, does anyone know a place to get an inspection?!?

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
I have a T1R defouler on my BCRH. I had a Strup defouler before but I would get a CEL from time to time. So far with the T1R defouler I have not had a CEL and its been about 500 miles.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
were can i buy one and how often would u get cel with the strup and have u hard anything about the weapon r and are they all universal

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
well ur gonna fail inspection cuz u have no cat :pat:
plus, that cel will be in the system when they plug in to the car...
which will let them read the error code to see if u have fixed the problem...

ur best bet is go back to stock...then re insstall ur stuff after u pass

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im gonna go to a gas station by me that can pass me, i jus need to have no check engine light on so i need to get a defouler thats why im askin what one is the best and were can i buy it

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
were can i buy one and how often would u get cel with the strup and have u hard anything about the weapon r and are they all universal
You can get one from one of the site vendors. Its about 45 shipped or you can try to make one from spark plug defoulers yourself. I would get a CEL about every 2000-4000 miles. They are all universal.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
hey guys i need to get my car inspected i have the kidd racing with no cat and i have a CEL and i need to get rid of it asap in order to get an inspection, so im gonna buy a defouler but i wanan know exaclty what one is the best, thier are like 4 types out their and i jus wanna know what the best one is from ppl who have experience with it, also i live in north jersey, does anyone know a place to get an inspection?!?
autozone sells them cheap, buy two. and your all set, have mine for 3 years no problem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why would i have to buy two? i jus need one for after the cat and autozone cells them? if im lookin at corosport they have a strup one for 45 and a megan one for 25 is thier a difference i just need to no what ppl have used and whats the one that doesnt get CEL, i have kidd racing header into a tic exhaust

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
why would i have to buy two? i jus need one for after the cat and autozone cells them? if im lookin at corosport they have a strup one for 45 and a megan one for 25 is thier a difference i just need to no what ppl have used and whats the one that doesnt get CEL, i have kidd racing header into a tic exhaust
You need to buy two because they are short, you need to combine them for it to work good.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
also remember that if you install teh defouler and reset the ecu, you cant just go for an inspection right away. you ahve to let teh readiness codes set or else youll fail.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i learned that the hard way, i reset my ecu becuase i knew my cel would go off and i thought i would pass but of course not, so should i install the defouler reset the ecu and how long do i have to wait. i reset the ecu yesterday morning and by 5ish it went on maybe 20 miles or so

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
yeah i learned that the hard way, i reset my ecu becuase i knew my cel would go off and i thought i would pass but of course not, so should i install the defouler reset the ecu and how long do i have to wait. i reset the ecu yesterday morning and by 5ish it went on maybe 20 miles or so
put the key in the ignition. turn it to teh start position, but dont start teh car.
your dash lights shoud come on; one of them being your CEL. it will stay on for about 20-30 seconds. if you car is ready for inspection, it will turn off. if your car si not ready, it will flash 5 times then turn off

it usually takes me at least 50 miles to be ready for inspection

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wait what lol so i put the key in the ignition and my cel should stay on for 20 30 secs then go off then i should go to inspection im kinda lost on what u are tryin to say sorry

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
wait what lol so i put the key in the ignition and my cel should stay on for 20 30 secs then go off then i should go to inspection im kinda lost on what u are tryin to say sorry
is your CEL is currently on all the time?

1. install the defouler
2. remove the negative terminal from the battery
3. wait 30 seconds.
4. reconnect the negative terminal to the battery (now your CEL shoudl not come on while your driving)
5. you cannot go for inspection yet, the readiness codes in the ECU are not set
6. drive around for about 30-60 miles
7. turn car off
8. insert key in the ignition, turn to "on" position, but do not start teh car
9. dash light shoudl light up, your CEL is one of the lights that will light up
10. after about 20-30 seconds your CEl will either flash 5 times and then turn off, or it will jsut turn off without flashing.
11. if it flashes, your ECU does nto have the readiness codes set...do not go for inspection (repeat steps 6-10)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
well ur gonna fail inspection cuz u have no cat :pat:
plus, that cel will be in the system when they plug in to the car...
which will let them read the error code to see if u have fixed the problem...

ur best bet is go back to stock...then re insstall ur stuff after u pass
All is false....not everyone is in Cali>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts