8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
I Beez In The Trap
24,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading many posts from people all over the place, it seems that sometime or another just about every exhaust made for the 8th gen was called "rice." I'd like to know what makes them "rice." There's no need to start bashing different exhausts or giving your opinion on any one in particular. I'm looking for adjectives that describe a "rice" exhaust in general.

My question to you is...

What exactly makes an exhaust "rice" ???

·
Registered
462 Posts
rice for me is too much raspiness, albeit having a tinny sound in the exhaust note as the RPM's climb higher.... its like you hear the deep baritone f your exhaust note but there's that annoying high-pitched tinnying on the side you just cant get rid of.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
A good exhaust should have a nice burble down low and up high the overall note should be smooth and consistent as the rpm's climb. It should not sound bratty, farty, or drone.

Nomar has the best exhaust I've heard. He's got an Evo2 and a comptech header.

·
I Beez In The Trap
24,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the input so far. part of the reason i'm asking is because i think that the word "rice" is being used when one just does not like a certain exhaust. which in my opinion, does not make an exhaust "rice" just cuz you don't like it. the term is overused, kinda like the use of "LOL" in chats, email, AIM, etc, etc. i'm curious as to what they would call a "rice" exhaust in Japan...

...yes, Nomar's car does sound really nice. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
when its loud at low RPMs. i mean when your just pulling out of your driveway at 5mph and you can hear it 5 doors down.

i dont think raspy has to do with it. most of the high end cars, especially high revvers have very raspy oem exhausts, like BMW M3, Porsche, etc..

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am not rice crazy like a lot of ppl on here are. A lot of ppl on here consider anything "ricey". I think of "ricey" as when people can't afford to get the real deal and put cheap parts on their car that were not meant for it. Like two diff. kinds of rims on one car, a fricken weld on canister exhaust tip on an automatic honda and ppl think just cause they have a Honda they have to do that. Also when people put those cheap ass aluminum wings on any kind of car like a 95 Neon... comon now! Things like that are ricey to me, and just plain retarded!

Not a raspy exhausts... most of the time I prefer them raspy, I think they sound good. Like the person above said, the M3... that has a raspy exhaust, so does the 350Z and the G35 but they sound damn good!

Each person is gonna have their own definition of rice.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i think the term raspiness may need to be clarified as well. like one of the above posts, i agree that vroom sounds better than vraam.

theres sexy raspy...like..angelina jolie's voice (or maybe even amy winehouse when she's sober)
then theres annoying raspy like a screaming 13 year old boy who just hit puberty.

·
I Beez In The Trap
24,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when its loud at low RPMs. i mean when your just pulling out of your driveway at 5mph and you can hear it 5 doors down.

i dont think raspy has to do with it. most of the high end cars, especially high revvers have very raspy oem exhausts, like BMW M3, Porsche, etc..
this is very true. yet another reason why i'm confused. thanks for the input man.

·
Registered
326 Posts
its all based on personal preference. to me anything that is really loud that comes out of an econobox car is ricey, but thats just my opinion. Personally, I think that the only cars that should be loud have 8 cylinders or more

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.