8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after getting my system all setup I have had several people who've sat in my car and have heard my system ask me to get a decibel meter and get it tested.

I've never really gotten this far in to hooking up a car (as far as parts etc;) to have learned anything about Decibel Meters. I did the usual 'google it' thing and saw a bunch of random stuff and yes...I have typed in 'Decibel Meter' in the search function for this forum and came up with 2 threads. Anyways...I just wanted to get your opinions on prices, brands, where to get them, what have you heard about them.

I'm guessing it for bass only during competitions correct? And...windows up, everything closed (sealed like sunroof etc;) and a bass cd is playing? And they take the highest number or something?

Also...what's a good number? I was in a local audio shop and some dude was saying his car did 129? Is that high?

I know my car is loud and insane with bass after my setup. I wanna start getting some numbers and possibly getting in to some competitions.

Also...is it in catagories during these competitions? Like 2 12" subs, 10" sub area etc; or just bass? If so...then some dude with like a 23" would win? Just because he has a big ass sub?

Talk to me guys!
-Andre

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
This should help you get started:
IASCA
MECA

Just to throw in, from what I know about SPL comps, measurements are usually taken via a termlab mic. I know nothing about this so I'm just recalling.

As for the 129db...that's fair. That's definately not the best. The high(er) numbers are low 150's IIRC. Also, keep in mind there are different ways to test this. The links I provided should help explain all the rules to the comps.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
they arent very cheap. best off just going to a sound competition and entering your car.
some places have different rules..but there are differnt classes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I guess...since I will be upgrading my alternator to a 180amp HO Alt...that will disqualify me from the Rookie division...

That blows...

However...I am only upgrading it because of my lights dimming and I will have like an underbody light kit and interior neons etc;...

I guess I'll have to swap them out if I go to a competition.

I don't want to go to another class because I am a newb/rookie at this.

-Andre

Thanks Bikin too, you always come through with links and stuff =D

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
No problem. Glad to help (work is sllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwww).

I'd give it a go before upgrading the alt. Just to see what it's like. Might even talk to the shop that did your crazy install and see if they'll "sponsor" you at an event. Maybe just pay your way in so your first experience won't be out of your pockets. Plus, it'd be a great way to advertise their work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah unfortunately for the Rookie Class you can't be sponsored and stuff I believe it was saying. So I may just give it a go by myself and see how I do. I'm excited about it. Now I just gota figure out when they do these competitions and stuff and where. I would hope living near Seattle there is something going on.

-Andre

(Edit: Also just looked at the IASCA member list and there is only 1 other 07 Si on there. Some dude in Florida.)

·
Registered
302 Posts
They are somewhat expensive. 129 is okay. I did 158 with one 9515.

To test, you just want to burp the system. one quick short tone.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I used to compete IASCA back in 1997. I placed 9th at the world finals in '97. I got screwed by the second set of judges. There was a 100 point difference between the morning judges and the afternoon judges...and that was only on my car and not the others in my class! :chill: This is why I stopped competing. I had 2 setting on my EQ's. One for sound quality and one for SPL. I hit 139 with 2 12's but my car was built for sound Q not SPL. SPL is lame IMO. The only reason I changed my settings was because you needed to hit 130 to get the full possible points.

Save your money and just go to a DB drag event if you want to see what it hits.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks you guys for the feedback. Yeah after reading you guys response I will probably just enter my car and see what I can get for my first attempt. So SQ is for both bass and then mids and stuff? Or what?

And SPL is for?

Rasky what is a DB Drag Event? Meaning just something random people are doing and stuff at meets and stuff?

-Andre

·
Registered
681 Posts
SPL = Sound Pressure Level

I'd try splmeter.com $150.00 I heard it was less than 1db difference than a TL but the site doesn't work?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
SQ= sound quality (what the typical bass hands don't go near)

SPL= sound pressure level (bassheads)

SQL= sound quality level (a mix of the two)

IMO, of course. ;)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Andre07FG2NBP said:
Thanks you guys for the feedback. Yeah after reading you guys response I will probably just enter my car and see what I can get for my first attempt. So SQ is for both bass and then mids and stuff? Or what?

And SPL is for?

Rasky what is a DB Drag Event? Meaning just something random people are doing and stuff at meets and stuff?

-Andre
There are a lot of factors involved in Sound Q. Imaging, staging, depth, width, DB and so on...get your hands on an IASCA judging CD and you will see what I mean. Judges will sit in your car and listen to different tracks. If you close your eyes and listen things should sound the way they were recorded. Singer should be in the center and just above the dash, drums to the left, bass guitar to the right and so on. They have a track that places 7 drum beats from left to right and you should hear them evenly space with the 4th beat being in the center of the dash. Keep in mind some things may have changed since I've been out of the loop for some time now.

A DB drag is an event usually held by a local shop and you just pull up and compete for the loudest SPL in your class. USAC was big into those back in my day...not sure if they are still around or not. I think it was like $15 or $20 back then.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So when they can't dissipate the heat fast enough are they blown? Or just...too heated up and just stop working but once cooled they are good to go?

-Andre

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Andre07FG2NBP said:
So bassheads mean the subs and that's it I'm guessing (sorry newb when it comes to terms).
LOL. It’s cool. A basehead is one who drives around with extremely exaggerated bass, car is rattling like crazy, screws are coming loose, fillings falling out, half deaf, and you probably can't hear the words to the music.

sorry not a bass fan. :biggrin:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahh ok I gotcha LMAO I'm a dummy.

Well with my setup I **** you not, I can have the bass all the way up and my front component and rear sound crystal clear, it's like you're in a concert. Music is extremely clear.

That was actually something I was mentioning to a friend of mine yesterday. When I had my eclipse. I turned my subs up and you couldn't hear the words to the song for nothing. All it was, was BUMMMMMP BUMMPPP etc;

Now it is very smooth bass (barely any rattling at all, I have several layers of SD in the back and sides) and the music mid's etc; are very very clear.

-Andre

1 - 20 of 24 Posts