8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, and I'm debating on buying a Mazda 3 or the Civic. Right now I own an Element but I want to get into something smaller and more economical gas-wise. I really like the looks of the Mazda 3 and I have test driven one and like it. Just uncertain of reliability down the road on it. I really like the Civics, and I know about their reliability. I had a '93 Civic that had 150,000 miles on it.
I'm just undecided about which one.......feedback would help!!!!! Give me your thoughts between the two.
Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The Mazda 3 is faster, gets worse gas mileage and looks better, IMHO (at least the hatch does-I think the Mazda 3 sedan looks like ****). The Civic is more fun to drive, once again IMHO. They are both very reliable cars, it's just going to have to come down to what you want more, a LITTLE bit more speed, or increased gas mileage? As well as looks, interior, etc...go test drive both of them.

EDIT: Also the Civic's stock sound system is much better than the stock sound system on the Mazda 3-unless of course you get the Bose upgrade. I've sat in both cars played the same song from my iPod through aux. and the sound quality in the Mazda 3 is really shitty and distorted.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
My personal opinion on the matter is that the Mazda3 is a better overall car than the Civic sedan. If you were looking for a coupe, I'd say go for the Civic, but the Mazda has a better interior in terms of quality and refinement. However, the gas mileage is considerably weaker than the Civics.

I think that it really depends on which trim level and price you're looking at. What exactly were you looking for?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I go with the Mazda I want either the SportTouring or Grand Sport Touring because I want the 17" wheels. I liked the interior and gauges on those models because I liked the electroluscent red color. The interior is quite nice, and the one I test drove had the Bose system, moonroof, leather interior. Actually I like the sedan better then the hatchback.
I still need to try out the Civic. I'm thinking the SI, but I'm not sure. How about comfort in the Civics? Are the seats decent, and what about road noise?? I know the tires on the Mazda were Goodyear RSA's which are pretty expensive to replace, and they seem to be crap tires. What have you all experienced with the OEM's on the Civics?

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you are looking for something that is economical on gas, why not boost the MPG and go with an EX or LX that has an R18 engine? It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for something that has that fun to drive factor with some power and decent MPG, then the Si is what you are looking at. If you are looking for great gas then stick with an R18. I'm not going to say if you should get a civic or a mazda 3 since it looks like you will be testing it out yourself. I just want to make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I go with the Mazda I want either the SportTouring or Grand Sport Touring because I want the 17" wheels. I liked the interior and gauges on those models because I liked the electroluscent red color. The interior is quite nice, and the one I test drove had the Bose system, moonroof, leather interior. Actually I like the sedan better then the hatchback.
I still need to try out the Civic. I'm thinking the SI, but I'm not sure. How about comfort in the Civics? Are the seats decent, and what about road noise?? I know the tires on the Mazda were Goodyear RSA's which are pretty expensive to replace, and they seem to be crap tires. What have you all experienced with the OEM's on the Civics?
I thought you were comparing a Civic EX/LX to a Mazda 3. Go get a Mazdaspeed 3 if you're going to compare it to an Si!

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Keep in mind that every car is different, and some of us have more positive experiences than others. I have a 2006 Fiji Blue Si coupe and here are some of the things I notice about it:

Interior Plastics:
The plastic is not a very high grade quality. A lot of users have issues with scratching, especially on the door sills, window switches, and where the seatbelt retracts into the car (where the buckle would hit the plastic). A theory is that the plastics "harden" over time, because I don't have the plastic scratching TOO badly.

Interior Fabrics:
Fabric wear seems to be an issue for some of us. The Si fabric is an alcantara (sp?) material. It's really comfortable and super supportive, but it has a tendency to get matted down and mine, at least, are starting to show a few signs of discoloration and wearing at the seams that slightly concern me. It does, however, suck up every piece of dust, dirt, and lint, and they don't vacuum easily, I don't think. Some larger people have issues getting comfortable because the seats are narrow and supportive.

Transmission:
The gearbox is amazing. You won't find a more pleasing gearbox for a 20,000 dollar car. The only quirks is that the car is very lurchy until it is warmed up (so keep the RPMs and accelerating low). Many users, however, have issues with the 3rd gear, which occasionally offers resistance when attempting to engage in 3rd, or even pops out. If you switch the MTF with the new Honda stuff (or use teh even better Amsoil), it cuts down on the problem.

Paint:
The paint is very thin on the Civics, and of questionable quality. I've seen more than one Civic (mine included) that were poorly painted in certain gaps (door jambs, under the hood, and inside the trunk). I would highly, HIGHLY recommend getting a clear bra used on the front end of your car.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Mazda 3 hands down! i wish i made the decision of getting one its a nice car far better build quality than the civics and its also made in JAPAN!! :thumb:

Also on the civics another thing thats common is body panel gaps and misalignments in the interior trims,dash,doors,fender,hood,trunk,head and taillights. I also saw this on a $40,000 2007 Acura MDX the brand new redesigned one the gaps were so huge by the glove box i could open it with my index finger! I don't know how the hell Honda lets this pass by on quality control! Honda and Toyota's quality is slipping and fast. Go check out the Mazda 3,Sentra and Elantra.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
While I do have a lot of the same problems Jon has, I haven't noticed panel misalignment at all, and if they have, they've been minimal and far less than the average in this class.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
Welcome -> 8th

I am very happy with my '07 Si coupe. I always love getting in it and driving it anywhere. It's a blast.

Good luck with your decision. :wavey:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also considering a Civic, but am between the 5A EX-L and 6M Si. Cost the same, but have to compromise on different things. For the record, I'd be replacing either car with my '06 400hp 6M GTO. Time to be more environmentally conscious, plus am not crazy about its build quality, and the ticking of these engines at idle. Only thing that has me baffled is insurance: $411 vs $345 for a 6L V8; WTF??

Anyway, what I'm concerned about is the Si screaming on the highway. Is that the case?? I'd love the 6M, but want a relatively quiet car on the highway. The 5A EX-L fits that bill, so am not being too picky here. The manual doesn't appeal to me on the EX; only on sport/sporty cars, and like 6 speeds. And besides, it has higher rpms (and lower EPA numbers) in 5th than the auto, and don't want that.

The 5A EX-L turns around 2,500 rpm at 70 mph. How about the Si in 6th?? And how about road noise differences at 80 mph on the EX-L and Si?? Thanks folks.
JC

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
I'm going to throw out an estimate of highway 65-70 MPH for my Si, and say its around 3,000 to 3,200 RPM. It's noticeable and you can hear it, but it has never been annoying to me. In fact, I tend to forget about it after awhile.

It might be really hard going from a GTO to an automatic Civic with 140 horsepower, so I would highly recommend taking it for a test drive to make sure you could handle it.

Personally, if you're looking for a quiet, more comfortable, refined ride, go with the EX-L. The suspension is a lot more touchy on the Si, and the car has a lot more quirks than the R18 models do.

If you want a more sporty drive, go for the Si, but be prepared for some quirks common with a sports car. If you want economy, fun to drive factor, and good looking, go with the EX-L. You can't really go wrong either way.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
People seem to be ignoring the fact speed was never mentioned in the OP lol...

Buy the civic IMO. Coupe EX. Cheaper to insure (off my brief esurance gander) than the 3 plus better economy. Civic reliability is proven fact in history.

I have the hybrid with tires inflated to the max (over inflated in some peoples illformed opinions) and the ride is still more comfortable that my girls mazada 6. Of course everyones opinion varies. You seem to want a practical car thats good for down to road. If thats the case the civic sedan/coupe will prolly fit you best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for your help. Hope to find an Si to drive it and see how I like it.
Would I miss the GTO? Yes, that V8 roar is addictive, and the power is there when I need it (but honestly don't need ALL the power it has), but it guzzles gas. On the other hand, even a EX-L probably handles better than this car. This car is very similar to my now departed Lexus SC430; harsh suspension, but handles badly. Am sure the Si is even better. And for speed thrills, still have my motorcycle. Thanks again.
JC

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
While I do have a lot of the same problems Jon has, I haven't noticed panel misalignment at all, and if they have, they've been minimal and far less than the average in this class.
Minimal yes, there are none on mine but ive seen some civics with some in parking lots and dealer lots with some gaps. Overall i think its a great car and as we always say we wish that Honda would improve the interior quality so hopefully when the 09 civics roll out they will. Go check out the Civic EX and EX-L you'll like it and plus you dont have to fill it up with premium gas!

·
Registered
661 Posts
mazda3 sedan was my second choice, when i was in the market, i like the interior better and more horsepower and lesser price compare to the civic EX. if i were you i would get mazda3, the loaded one!!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts