8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went for an oil change at my dealership for my 2007 Honda Civic LX sedan and only asked for an oil change and the guy calls me up and tells me that my front brake pad has ZERO percent left and I needed a brake pad replacement.

The guy told me that I never had the brakes replaced which was a B.S.

I told him that I had the front brakes replacedment in 2009 and I told him to check the computer system for my history. Then, he said, "O.K., yeah"

I told him that I've driven the car for just a little over 20,000 miles on the brake pads from 2009. The brakes don't squeak and the braking performance is excellent.

I can't believe they still put zero percent brake pad life left for the front brakes in the service sheet for my oil change. What a load of B.S.!

ALSO!!!!!!

I doubt they even did an oil change at all because the engine felt EXACTLY the same before and after the oil change! After an oil change, the engine should rev smoother and quieter which it did not happen.

Your opinions please?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dealerships use cheap oils when you get a regular oil change. And the brake pad thing most of the time is BS. They will look over the car to tell you to change this, that, etc to get more money off you. You can always change brakes yourself, or go to a nondealership like a small autoshop. It's simple and shouldnt cost the amount dealerships charge you for.

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
I went for an oil change at my dealership for my 2007 Honda Civic LX sedan and only asked for an oil change and the guy calls me up and tells me that my front brake pad has ZERO percent left and I needed a brake pad replacement.

ALSO!!!!!!

I doubt they even did an oil change at all because the engine felt EXACTLY the same before and after the oil change! After an oil change, the engine should rev smoother and quieter which it did not happen.

Your opinions please?
lol @ the ZERO percent life remaining... especially if you've only put 20k on them... sounds like they want your money!

and w/ the oil change, yes, you should feel a difference. the motor will be quieter and smoother.. my Si gets around 4k miles on an oil change and starts to get a little louder/not as smooth so that's normally when I change it..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Correct me if I'm wrong but, you can't always easily check if they changed the oil with a simple dipstick check, unless the unchanged motor oil is very old and dirty.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
they want money. id take a pic of your brake pads which are probably good and go back to the dealership and explain to them on a barney level why the brake pads arent bad.

Ive had to do it before with pep boys. I went to get a CEL scanned and cleared (already knew what it was, bad EVAP solenoid)

it was a bad EVAP solenoid (on my car it takes literally 5 mins to swap out, its 1 screw)
the pep boys mechanic was harassing me about fixing it and i told him exactly what was wrong and how to fix it and he decides to be a smartass asking me if im obd2 certified and yadda yadda.

so i take out my new solenoid, swap it in front of him, OMG, the CEL is GONE! stupid "certified" mechanics. and he thought it would be an hour or two long task per the service manual. ha...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Every dealership wants money, its more like "we're honda, we do our jobs better than other 3rd party mechanics" Not honda exactly but you get the point. Toyota, lexus, bmw... and so on

·
Registered
551 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but, you can't always easily check if they changed the oil with a simple dipstick check, unless the unchanged motor oil is very old and dirty.

You can EASILY check it by looking at your dip stick. The visual difference between NEW motor oil and motor oil with as little as 1k+ miles on it is noticeable. OFC they would try to up-sell you on brakes. Do you get pissed when you go through a drive-thru and they try to up-sell you a drink or burger? It is business, no need to take it personally.

·
Registered
779 Posts
OFC they would try to up-sell you on brakes. Do you get pissed when you go through a drive-thru and they try to up-sell you a drink or burger? It is business, no need to take it personally.
That's a bad analogy. The drive-thru place isn't lying to you to get you to buy something. The drive-thru place is asking if you'd like something in addition. A better analogy to what happened with the OP is like going to the dentist and them saying "You have a cavity, you need to get this crown ASAP!" when there is absolutely nothing wrong with your tooth in the first place. Would you be pissed if that happened to you?

If you had 0% brake pad life left, your brakes would be making a horrible grinding noise from the back of the pad rubbing against the rotors. Your caliper's piston would also likely be extended past the length the rubber gasket can extend and would have likely torn and be leaking fluid. Don't ask how I know. lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your car won't run any different after a oil change unless you are 10k miles overdue and the oil has completely broken down to the point of getting premature engine wear. If you think it does run better, it's just in your head. Also when they say you have zero pad life left they most likely mean the pads are in the red by the gauge honda provides which means they are in need of replacement, not that they are on the rivets and going metal to metal. If you wait till that point you'll be needing rotors and pads.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
brakes and oil... easy enough to do at home and save yourslef the trouble...

also if you never hit the squeeler bar on th brakes, you got atleast 20% left, prob closer to atleast 30% left.. lol

·
Registered
914 Posts
my dealership doesnt mess with me bc I know my car, idk about you tiger but maybe you two are going to the same dealership... feel sad for you.

·
Registered
551 Posts
That's a bad analogy. The drive-thru place isn't lying to you to get you to buy something. The drive-thru place is asking if you'd like something in addition. A better analogy to what happened with the OP is like going to the dentist and them saying "You have a cavity, you need to get this crown ASAP!" when there is absolutely nothing wrong with your tooth in the first place. Would you be pissed if that happened to you?

If you had 0% brake pad life left, your brakes would be making a horrible grinding noise from the back of the pad rubbing against the rotors. Your caliper's piston would also likely be extended past the length the rubber gasket can extend and would have likely torn and be leaking fluid. Don't ask how I know. lol.

TBH, not really. I have the ability to choose if I wanted to get that treatment or not. Like I said, business of business some people are more ethical than others and that's a fact.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your car won't run any different after a oil change unless you are 10k miles overdue and the oil has completely broken down to the point of getting premature engine wear. If you think it does run better, it's just in your head. Also when they say you have zero pad life left they most likely mean the pads are in the red by the gauge honda provides which means they are in need of replacement, not that they are on the rivets and going metal to metal. If you wait till that point you'll be needing rotors and pads.
That's right.

Your brake pad will be consume according with your daily driving use. If you brake a lot because you drive in areas of a lot traffic your brakes will go fast... If you don't trust in what the dealership told you just go pep-boys or any mechanic that you trust and confirm that. Don't take the risk to drive with brakes in that condition.....

I think dealers are obligated to disclose those details with you because if they don't mention that to you (in the case that is true) you can go back an sue them in the case that you have an accident because your brakes didn't work.

Just double check. I think is something important that you shouldn't take the risk.....

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

1 - 20 of 42 Posts