8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I loved my EP3. Sure it looked funny, and the shifter was in the wrong place, but it was fast and fun. After 103k+ miles, she was just worn out. The steering box was shot and I'd driven the fourth set of tires down to the wear markers. The third set of breaks needed to be replaced too. The passenger side window was smashed one night by a thief robbing me of my flight bag and even though I got it repaired, the window really didn't work well. So it was time to say goodbye and hello FG.

In late November I started looking around for my EP3 replacement. I went to Right Honda in Scottsdale, AZ. The same place I bought my EP3 and had a very good experience. Now, at this point I've been researching the new SI for about four weeks so, I know exactly what I want. The sales person (sp) and I sit down at his desk and he asks what I'd like. I tell him that when I bought my EP3, I wished I had got the HFP package and a couple of other things and when I buy my new car, I'm going to get it the way I want with all the extras installed before I take it off the lot. I guess all he saw was a sucker with too much money.

So I lay it out. I said "I want a Black Si coupe with navi, HFP front, side, and rear skirts, HFP suspension package, HFP brakes, auto day/night mirror, all season floor mats and trunk tray, tint, sunshade, and fog lights". While I'm saying this, he's writing all this down. After he's done, he turns to his computer and starts typing. A few minutes go by and he turns to me and says "Honda doesn't make a black Si coupe with navi".

Okay, strike one. This guy has no clue what's going on. Reality hasn't paid this guy a visit today but I'm a forgiving and forgetting kinda guy. So, I go on...

I throw him a look like "what'chu talkin' 'bout Willis?" and before I get a word out, he says "the computer shows that there's none here in AZ" Now I'm getting a little uneasy. So I tell him that on Honda's web site I can build my Si in black with navi. He turns to, who I can only assume is the fleet department manager, and asks for help.

Okay, that's cool in my book- you don't know, ask. +1 for the SP.

Now the manager is typing away on his computer and shaking his head. "nope! no black Si with navi in the US," I was shocked. No one in the US had a black Si with navi. He went on, "but we have a silver one ready to go today!" Hmmm, how convenient. So I pretty much know what's going on now. They don't have it so they want to sell me a car that I don't want. I calmly explain to the both of them, again, that when I bought my EP3 I wanted it a certain way and didn't get it. Now that I'm buying a new car, I'm going to do it right and get it the way I want and that includes the car being black. The manager leans back into his chair and says, "we can order it but it'll take four to six months". Finally, they're getting it! He finishes with "but we have the silver one right outside, ready to go".

I look at the sp and say "how 'bout I put down a deposit and you keep looking for my car?" He agreeably says okay and takes my credit card. After signing the receipt I shake his hand smile and think to myself that I'll probably never see that money again.

After a week had gone by, and without me knowing, my dad calls another dealership and asks about a black Si with navi. They tell him that there are none in AZ but they'll get one on the 24th December. That it was on its way over from Japan on the cargo ship.

300 miles away, I'm sitting in Parker, AZ in the pilots lounge watching tv and my phone rings. Its the sp from Right Honda "great news! We've located the car you want and it'll be here on the 25th! You still want it right?" I was very happy to hear this and I told him that I did want it and that I'd be down to buy the car after the weekend. I call my dad and told him the good news. My dad started laughing and told me what he was told by the other dealership. We concluded that both dealerships were expecting the same car. After I got of the phone I made an extensive list of what I wanted with my new car.

A couple of days later, we went down to the dealership to buy the car. He explained that the car would be ready before Christmas. I handed him my list and he looked over it. He said we'd have to go over to parts and see if they had all of the things I wanted. Line by line the sp and the parts guy went over the list. Everything was smooth till they got to the HFP suspension. The parts guy said that Honda didn't make a HFP suspension kit for the Si Coupe, only for the sedan. I said I was alright with that and to cross it off the list. Everything else they either had or could get before the car arrived. I looked at the sp and told him that I wasn't going to pay full retail on it. He said he could do cost plus ten percent. We agreed on that for the accessories and returned to his desk.

Now here's where things get all out of whack. The sp gets a call on his phone. After he finishes, he apologizes and says that he's got another customer coming in. He then turns to the fleet manager (the same guy who told me that they would get the car for four to six months) and asks if he'd take care of us. It pissed me off that I wasn't important enough to finish the deal. I got up, reluctantly, and moved over to the managers desk. The manager smiled shook our hands and began to type on his computer for several minutes. Every once in a while a paper would shoot out of his printer and he'd reach over pick it up, look at it, and shove it in folder. After sitting there for about fifteen minutes he finishes, picks up the folder and tells us to follow him. My dad and I get up, look at each other and follow him to another part of the dealership. We stepped into a guys office and the manager introduced us to the finance guy. So, we shook hands and sat down. The finance guy proceeded to thumb through the file, then type wildly on his computer. He stopped, looked at us and said "how would you like to take care of this?" I said that I'd like to finance the car and I have a trade in. He shuffled through the file whipped out a piece of paper and said that my trade-in was worth $5k. I agreed. He then typed in a couple of things and told me my payments were going to be $600 per month. I almost laughed. "We haven't even talked about numbers yet" I explained "I know how much you pay for the car. I've done a lot of research and I'm paying $500 over invoice plus the extras." he looked at me and asked "didn't you go over the price with the sp?" I said "no, no one has told me any price for anything. But I do know how much I'm going to be paying". He turned his monitor around and stared pointing at figures and explaining what was what. After we haggled for a few minutes, I cornered him into a deal. A price that both of us could live with and my payments only went up by $2 month over my EP3. Sweet! We singed a whole bunch of papers, shook hands, and headed out. On the way through the dealership we bumped into the sp. He asked us if everything was okay. "well, besides tossing us over to a different person mid-sale, and never going over the prices with us, the finance guy and I reached an agreement and I've purchased the car". The sp was seemed happy shook our hands and hurried off. I left there not feeling like I was a valued customer. More of an inconvenience. "oh well," I thought "at least I got the car I wanted, the way I wanted it."

Three days later I get a call from the sp. I was really excited "you've got my car? It came in?"

"no, not yet. I've got bad news." he sp said

"what is it?" I thought the ship had sunk or they dropped my car off the truck and it was totaled.

"I forgot to add in the labor for your accessories and you owe us $1200." I was instantaneously furious. I couldn't speak, I couldn't find words. "hello? are you still there?" he asked.

"I need to talk to my dad" I said. Then he started to explain that it only increases my payments by $50 a month. Again, I thought I was going to explode I was so mad. "no, I better talk to my dad. he was there when we closed the deal, he'll know what to do." I couldn't believe that three days after I had bought the car, he had big enough balls to call me and ask for more money- a lot of money!

I called my dad and explained what had just transpired between the sp and I. He too was pissed. Maybe even more than I. He told me he'd take care of it. I thought that was a good idea because I was so mad all I wanted to do was call him names and punch him.

My dad called and talked to the sales manager. He told him that we had a deal that was signed and that the dealership was going to eat the $1200 mistake. Not surprisingly, the manager told him that the dealership would cover it.

Now, so far I've been treated like crap, passed from one person to another, to another, never been given a price for my car, and told after I bought the car that I owed another $1200. On the good side, the dealership said that they'd cover their mistake. So all in all, I thought we were even except the fact that they have treated us like crap. Then my car came in. The sp called me and told me I could pick the car up anytime. I told him that I'd be in on Saturday to pick it up.

Saturday rolled around and my dad and I drove up to the dealership. I spotted her right away and she was gorgeous. I walked over to the sp office and got him. We walked outside and started looking at her. Indeed she was beautiful, but things weren't right. No tint, no auto day/night mirror, no trunk tray, and on top of that, they put on the HFP muffler (WTF? that wasn't on my list)! To top it all off, they lost the OEM brakes (and muffler) that I was going to sell to recoup some money. I was getting pissed... again! We went inside and the sp got the folder. He pulled out a sheet of paper with a whole bunch of parts on it. He explained that we had agreed that these were the parts bought and installed. I told him that I had never seen this paper and that I had handed him a list of parts that I wanted. I demanded him to get me my list that I made. He disappeared for a minute and came back with it. I put the next to his and asked him to show me why the items that I specified hadn't made it to his list. He hymned and hawed and went back to "this is what we agreed on" line of bs. I told him that that was his problem, not mine and he needed to fix it. A half hour later and a couple of trips to and from the sales managers office, I agreed to split the cost of the auto day/night mirror with the dealership at their cost and they would put the tint on, and throw in the trunk tray. I was still a bit on edge but I soon would be driving it home. (so I thought)

Then, the sp hands me the grey valet key and says "one of our sales people moved your car and we can't find your keys. Go ahead a take it, get it off our lot because we don't someone scratching it or damaging it."

Again, I was pissed. "How the f could you have lost the keys to the car? This is your job! You sell cars! You can't sell cars unless you have the keys!" He responded by saying that they couldn't find the sales person that moved the car from the garage and that he had the keys. But as soon as they found the keys they would drive them to me. He made it sound like it was going to take a couple of hours so I conceded. As 9:00 pm came and went I got more and more angry. So I called, and guess what? The sp told me they still hadn't found the keys! He told me that he'd get them in the morning and had them driven over to me at my house.

The next morning came and went. The afternoon came and went. Evening arrived and again, I was pissed- NO KEYS!! I got in my car and drove to dealership. I went to the front desk and asked for my keys. The lady asked who my sp was and I told her. She got on the phone and called him. After she had a conversation with him she called someone else. Soon another manager showed up and introduced himself. He said he'd get my keys for me and that they were in my sp's desk and he'd gone home for the day. WTF! I told the manager that he'd promised me that he'd drive those keys to me as soon as he found them. I grabbed my keys and left.

The next weekend I showed up to get my tint and my auto day/night mirror installed. I told the service guy that I needed my parts back and to put them in the trunk. Three hours later, my car was done, the tint looked awesome and the mirror was installed. The service guy explained that all of my OEM parts were in the trunk, the front and rear brake discs, brake pads and hardware, the muffler, and the OEM mirror but they couldn't find the I-Vtec decals that came with the HFP Aero kit. He told me he'd get them and to call on Monday.

I drove over there today and guess what? No decals. I wish I could say I was surprised but I wasn't. I walked over to parts with my service manager and ordered them. Hopefully they'll be in next Monday.

Over all, I would rate the experience with Right Honda a D-. The only reason I didn't give them a F is because they did admit to one of the biggest of their mistakes and took care of it, although not in it's entirety.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
After a week had gone by, and without me knowing, my dad calls another dealership and asks about a black Si with navi. They tell him that there are none in AZ but they'll get one on the 24th December. That it was on its way over from Japan on the cargo ship.
:rotfl:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm shocked they'd be that outright rude and scummy with you.....

If you didn't mention the Si part I'd guess you were trying to order a bare bones DX.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Can't believe I read the whole thing.

I would suggest a new dealership for service. Even though the sales floor isn't the same as the shop, who'd want to associate with that place at all.

Aren't all Civics built in Ontario Canada...?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts

I would suggest a new dealership for service. Even though the sales floor isn't the same as the shop, who'd want to associate with that place at all.

Yeah, 8th civic on this continent is made from Canada. How could it possibly be shipped from Japan? BECAUSE IT WASN'T!

Anyway, that was a huge wall-o-text.

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
+1 rep for being sooooo tolerant but stealership fo sho!!!

I have a stealership that is about 10 mins away from my house that I bought my '98 EJ8 & '02 EP3 from & they BS'd me about not being able to get me what I wanted(TW FA5). So of course I went to another dealer(Holler :thumb:) & they found my car in less than a week. Needless to say that I may have to drive about 25 mins to get to Holler but customer service is WAY better there.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts

Freaking liars. The Si's are made in Ontario, Canada. Christ, these people sell these cars for a living and they know absolutely nothing about them.

I read your entire post and I'm just as disgusted as you are. However, I would be taking this key thing very seriously and perhaps even threatening some legal action unless they can produce the keys. There's a theft waiting to happen.

When you buy the cars, you are buying two keys + fobs and a valet key. You get all three. If they can't get you the keys your car was supposed to come with, they need to buy two new ones and program them to your car for free.

You've got more patience than I have my friend, because heads would be rolling if it were me. This, however, is a typical dealer experience for me.

·
Registered
959 Posts
damn that was long. but hey...welcome to the 8th! at least your ordeal didn't have the attorney general of your state get involved like mine did.

·
Registered
497 Posts

All the coupes are. Some of the sedans are built in Suzuka, and all the Hybrids are.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Great write up! I almost forgot which site I was on for a minute.

Sorry about all your troubles. Definitely not a classy way of running things.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Great write up! I almost forgot which site I was on for a minute.

Sorry about all your troubles. Definitely not a classy way of running things.
Ya, I'll give the OP props as well. This was one of the most eloquently written posts I've seen on here in a LONG time :thumb:
Maybe "eloquent" is too much praise, but my God, he had sentences, and it flowed well!

·
Registered
72 Posts
A few minutes go by and he turns to me and says "Honda doesn't make a black Si coupe with navi".

When I first became interested in the Si, I took a trip to my dealership to check it out. The sales person goes on to tell me about the Mugen Si and how they make only 600 a year or something. I ask to see a coupe version and he goes, "They make a coupe version??"

Wtf, but since I was just checking stuff out, I took a seat in the Mugen and didn't call him out on his lack of brain.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

hybrids are made in Japan I thought? What's the VIN code to tell where it was made?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
A few minutes go by and he turns to me and says "Honda doesn't make a black Si coupe with navi".

When I first became interested in the Si, I took a trip to my dealership to check it out. The sales person goes on to tell me about the Mugen Si and how they make only 600 a year or something. I ask to see a coupe version and he goes, "They make a coupe version??"

Wtf, but since I was just checking stuff out, I took a seat in the Mugen and didn't call him out on his lack of brain.
PLEASE tell me that was sarcasm.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts