8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you guys are all doing well :wavey: . Just wanted to share my recent experience with a dealership and see what others thought about this. Ill keep it short as possible.

I posted a few months ago here about my Si getting hydrolocked and the engine getting replaced.. (Geico covered this).

That was all fine an dandy, except the fact it's been a nightmare ever since. This started with the dealership putting on the wrong serp belt. It wasn't wide enough and it kept slipping off. It then somehow sucked in my hood insulation into the alternator.. big freaking mess. (original dealership paid my honda dealership for new belt and insulation). But that's a minuscule issue compared to what else I've delt with. Lets revert back to the motor install. Prior to this motor install I had NO CLUTCH ISSUES whatsoever. Not a problem. No slipping no nothing. The clutch grabbed like a beast.

After my motor install the dealership told me afterwards that I actually had a scorched clutch. They said they decided to trash it and use the one from the previous motor. They said it looked "like new". They also said they replaced the clutch master cylinder as well. They informed me of those things AFTER the job was done. Their job was to replace the motor, that was all. Looking back at my paperwork, they did not document any of this. You may ask how I'm sure they messed with it, well one they told me... second, the clutch used to engage near the floor, and engaged almost at the complete top after I got it back. I babied this car for the 1 month I had it back. I had posted it for sale as soon as I got it back anyways. In my one month I noticed a few things. I know the first day I had it, the clutch seemed perfect. I know a week after having it, I noticed some slipping. I noticed two weeks after having it the car would actually seem to "rock" a little when letting it out.. to reduce this, I would let it out as slow as possible.. it would help. Third week.. I noticed slight grinding sounds between gears when the clutch pedal was fully pressed in....

Final week, I'm pulling into work.. I press my clutch pedal in. And I hear a bang or something.. then no clutch. The pedal will still go to the floor and will come back up from the floor, but will not disengage the clutch. Geico got this towed to honda. Honda evaluates and decides it's definitely the clutch. Geico states they replaced my motor, and my motor only. They said since none of this is documented, there's nothing they can do. I've got with the general manager of the dealership. She seemed concerned then never followed up after a week. I got turned over to the service manager. He seemed concerned, said he'd call me back. He called honda for the quote. He said he would get back to them as well. Never got back to either of us. We both called him the next day and left voicemails.. still never heard anything. That was Friday morning. Today I filed my complaint with the BBB.....

At this point, what do you guys think will happen??

Am I in the wrong, could this be pinned on me?

Should I keep fighting this?

Honda wants 2300$ for clutch, pressure plate, flywheel resurface, labor, etc

I don't drive like a hooligan but I vtec once or twice daily. I don't see how a "like new" clutch could give out in a week. It's sketchy and it was undocumented. I feel they're trying to walk over me at this point.

Rant Over :deadhorse:

·
Registered
122 Posts
After my motor install the dealership told me afterwards that I actually had a scorched clutch. They said they decided to trash it and use the one from the previous motor. They said it looked "like new". They also said they replaced the clutch master cylinder as well. They informed me of those things AFTER the job was done. Their job was to replace the motor, that was all. Looking back at my paperwork, they did not document any of this.

At this point, what do you guys think will happen??

Am I in the wrong, could this be pinned on me?

Should I keep fighting this?
Unfortunately because you took possession of the car after all of this, and because it wasn't documented and there is no proof apart from "what was said", you have no leverage. The only way you're gonna get this repaired at no cost to you is if the service manager offers a goodwill service- and good luck with that. If this was documented, you'd likely have a new clutch by now. Because it ISN'T, its you versus the dealer. Some sap who just wants the dealer to pay for a new clutch because "he says we messed it up". There's no proof they altered anything... lol. Hopefully you can get this resolved.

If it were me, I wouldn't have even touched the car until *everything* they did was on the document.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol yes you prove a very good point. The odds are definitely not in my favor at this point. I have immediate family with a garage that will do it for the price of parts.. would be dependable and next to nothing. I just would like to see them make this right. I've driven stick for over 4 years and feel user error isn't a possibility here even though they could easily blame that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dealerships are known for cutting corners. It sounds like they botched the install of your "new" clutch. Not sure why they even bothered taking it out in the first place.

Always always, always get everything in writing. If that was the case you could've even took them to small claims.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those interested on the verdict of this...

Their service manager got back to me today after contacting their GM this morning. He expressed the over charge of Honda wanting 2300$ but he said he wanted to come to a resolution. That was understandable so I mentioned my uncle's shop about an hour and a half out. I mentioned I could not get the car there though. He offered to figure out the towing for me AND to pay for the cheaper repair...:vtec:

I've been on them for two weeks since this happened. I did file my complaint with the BBB on Sunday. I'm not sure if that helped or not. Either way it's an unexpected out come but I couldn't be happier about it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't hesitate put it in their ass promptly and forget to wipe when your done with them. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot they wouldn't hesitate. Make em pay every red hot cent. I had one tell me I need to buy another motor for a headgasket job to pay 5k on a used motor I told em wheres my keys and foh. Dont go to westbroad honda in VA ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts