8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
Long story short, my car incurred lift damage at the dealer. The lower portion of the passenger side fender was not sitting flush with the door. The rocker has a small dent and paint damage, and the rubber rust guard underneath the rocker was peeled in a horizontal direction as well.
The dealer was able to adjust my fender, although the very lower portion of the fender, where it meets the rocker under the door, sticks out slightly. They are also going to apply touch up paint to the dent, and spray the rust guard underneath the rocker.
I want to make sure there is truth to this: I was told in order to completely adjust the fender (by bending it) the factory rust guard around the fender bolt would need to be removed, and the fender might not align elsewhere, thus not being a good idea. I was also told the rocker and fender would need to be repainted as well, and that they cannot obtain Honda paint, other than touch up paint?
I just want to make sure I am not being fed BS, and if it's best to leave it as is instead of risking what I was told.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey sleepy, do you mean a second opinion on what's the best repair, or what caused the damage?

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
on how to best repair..... I will never take my ride to get body work done through the dealership.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I hear you. They were able to tweak the fender, it looks good, but it's not perfect. I hope they did not damage anything by doing so.

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
I think the whole touch up paint repair bothers me....you will notice this and your car did not go in looking this way. I would tell them to send your car to a proper body shop of your choice and they pay the repair.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to, but the dealer is denying the whole thing. They are just doing this at "goodwill". They said this is all they are going to do. He was trying to talk me out of having a body shop do the work, the paint would not match, the factory rust guard would be taken off etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
He's trying to talk you out of going to a bodyshop so he does not have to pay for the repair . If the dealer damaged your car they should pay for the repair , they have shop insurance for this reason , they just don't want to use it .
Any good bodyshop can match paint , as for the rust guard , it too can be re-applied and does not have to be a "Honda" product . He's feeding you B.S.

Good luck .

·
Registered
406 Posts
First, photograph the damage if possible
ALWAYS document.
I would go to three shops in the area.
Get three estimates in print.
Bring those estimates to your dealer, and politely ask for their insurance company's name, phone number, and a contact person.

Their attitude should change drastically.

I personally wouldn't settle for the car looking anything other than perfect if that's how it went in. If a dealer damaged my car and offered touch up paint as restitution, I would absolutely lose it, but maybe that's just me.

And yes, body shops can match the color of your paint.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had a body shop replace my door, they painted it off the car and it matched so perfectly they didn't even have to blend it. You should definitely have theirinsurance pay a different body shop fix everything perfectly. They'll probably replace the whole fender.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. The only problem I see is at the end of all this, it's my word against theirs. I wish I had seen the damage right after it came out of the dealership.
He is also claiming the car was only on a lift once and it did not have arms. BS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts