8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Dealer Transmission Rebuild Cost

12K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  EdNaviEx 
#1 ·
Long story short, my transmission is trashed. Honda said they can put a used one in for $4500. I took my car there because they quoted me $2250 for a rebuild but are now saying it is only for labor. I got a quote from a transmission shop for $2800, but I'd like to not tow it again and Honda wont tell me a quote with parts because despite me wanting a full rebuild there's "a million different parts in a transmission." So, has anyone ever had a transmission fully rebuilt at a dealer and if so what was your end total?

#2 ·
I would recommend you stay away from the dealership unless you intend on going back again later down the road for the same issue...

I would recommend you send it to a shop the specializes in only transmissions and rebuild that sucker with some synchrotech innards.

I got lucky and snagged brand newish transmission from HMO for 1500 and its been good to me since... buuuut I know finding one of these in good condition is like getting a handy from a unicorn.

Regardless or where you get it rebuilt, our transmissions are still basically just as brittle as a wine glass if you abuse them. Drive with care buddy :vtec:

#4 ·
I would recommend you stay away from the dealership unless you intend on going back again later down the road for the same issue...

I would recommend you send it to a shop the specializes in only transmissions and rebuild that sucker with some synchrotech innards.

I got lucky and snagged brand newish transmission from HMO for 1500 and its been good to me since... buuuut I know finding one of these in good condition is like getting a handy from a unicorn.

Regardless or where you get it rebuilt, our transmissions are still basically just as brittle as a wine glass if you abuse them. Drive with care buddy :vtec:
Made me laugh at loud, nice. Anyway, the OP can find low mileage tranny, he just has to look. They are out there.

Dealership would probably be more money than a specialized transmission shop. If you go the shop route definitely look for somebody reputable and with a very good warranty.
Yeah, I would stay away from the dealer as well. If his rig was newer, then maybe the dealer.

A quick search on google: I'm seeing used trannies for less than $600 with 1 year warranty. I have 228,000 on mine (I change the ATF religiously @ 30K miles......... so far, so good). Just throwing it out there.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.