8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 Civic SI and the dealer filled it up with 87 octane. I have read the threads about 87 and I want to put 93 in it as soon as possible. Will it cause any damage driving it with 87 especially since it is in the break-in period and had 3 miles on it when I drove it off the lot? I haven't heard any pinging or detonating and everything sounds normal. I'm sure the cooler weather, around 40 degrees, is helping with the detonation. I just want to be sure that it will be fine to run the tank out so I can go to 93.

link added by Qshooter151 on 9/24/08

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/75975-si-87-octane-gas-threads-merged.html

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don't worry dude. 87 octane is NOT going to do any harm to your engine! All dealers use cheapest gas to fill up their cars.

Performance wise, 93 octane is better, so fill it up with premium gas next time you go to gas station.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
87? wow. because i thought all Si are recommended 91 and up.
They do recommend 91 and up. I want to put 93 on it after this tank is gone. I don't know why the dealer does that. I asked them and they said that they put 87 in all of their SI's. I was like what the hell. I just hope it doesn't do any damage even if it is minor or damages the engine in the long run.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't worry dude. 87 octane is NOT going to do any harm to your engine! All dealers use cheapest gas to fill up their cars.

Performance wise, 93 octane is better, so fill it up with premium gas next time you go to gas station.
Thanks dude! I was thinking it was fine, but just wanted to make sure since it had 3 miles on it when I drove it off. I didn't know if it was more susceptible to damage since it was brand new with 87 in it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have another question. When I switch to 93 octane will the ecu automatically recalibrate for 93 octane or do I need to reset the ecu by taking out a fuse or disconnecting the battery? I know some cars you have to reset the ecu to calibrate it to different octanes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
everything will recalibrate properly when the correct octane of fuel is in there. Until then your car just wont perform as well. Than engine is basically fool proof in respects to detonation, as it can control every aspect of mechnical operation (not saying you cant break the engine no matter what, but if the car is stock or even slightly modified, it wont detonate). It has a knock sensor. all will be well, no worries man. sucks to drive off the lot like that though, with low octane

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
I would talk to your dealer and tell them how disappointed you are that they didn't even know that one of the cars they sell requires premium fuel, as it even says it in the freaking gas cap.

They put 5W-20 oil in my car on my first oil change, and I demanded the switch it to the proper 5W-30. I know it doesn't make much of a difference, but I told them it would be the last time I would be requiring their services, as they should know what car requires what.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
everything will recalibrate properly when the correct octane of fuel is in there. Until then your car just wont perform as well. Than engine is basically fool proof in respects to detonation, as it can control every aspect of mechnical operation (not saying you cant break the engine no matter what, but if the car is stock or even slightly modified, it wont detonate). It has a knock sensor. all will be well, no worries man. sucks to drive off the lot like that though, with low octane
Thanks man! Everyone has been so helpful!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldnt let our local dealer work on a Vega......Lets see when they replaced my daughters xmsn on her 07 Si they left an air intake hose off, overtightened the xmsn fill bolt,and when I had my 02 RSX they ganked up my driveshaft input seal while drainng and refilling the tranny. They are a scary lot. I dont believe they know what a torque wrench is and thier QA is non existent......

·
Registered
337 Posts
It wont hurt the motor, the ECU will retard the timing though. Fill it up with premium next time and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Yeah, my dealer put in 93, but didn't tell me it needed 91 or up... I filled it with 87 my first time. No harm done, you'll be fine!

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
OH man... Your motor = oh so gone...

Kaboom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.