8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in desperate need of new suspension! About 2 years ago, I bought the Ground Control sleeves for my 06 SI coupe and at first, loved them but it rode rough. Well the first winter, the rear struts blew and started handling like ass. This winter that just ended, well now the rear tires are so out of whack on the toe side of things, they wore out some OEM tires from about 70% tread to 0% in a couple months of winter driving! I'm desperately in need of suspension upgrades to get it back to handling like a civic should and then I can get an alignment to make it all gravy.

So I want a car that rides as close to stock as possible. I'm 29 years old and am finding myself getting more and more "old" in my driving routine. Sure I'll still race once in a while but it's always a straight line. The worst thing I'd do is take an offramp a lil faster than I should. I will never track the car and I don't care about making it handle on rails. I have my shocks right at the fender meeting the top of the tire (not tucking but no gap either) and love how it looks. I'd like to keep it there if possible but maybe up a bit won't kill me either. I don't want to go "two finger gap" HFP style either! One finger, max. I don't know how much of a drop that is so I'll go off everyone's opinion there. I was going to drop 9-1000 on a set of Buddy Club N+ coilovers so I can get struts too but that's really pushing it in terms of money right now. Plus, I won't be the kind of guy to ever adjust anything. Once the height is set, it stays. Once I find the spot for comfort, it stays. I thought about just getting the Tokico HP's to fix the issue and leave my sleeves in place but worry about the longevity that low. I always heard they weren't that great and don't handle well but after reading my boy Jon from Z1's review, I'm convinced their an option now. I have heard the Eibach's are a nice spring and one of the best drop springs with no squeaking but what do you think?

And on to the question, knowing a bit more of my situation, here's what I'm thinking so pick your choice with an explanation please.

1. Buddy Club N+ coilovers...
2. Tokico HP's with a new set of Eibach Sportlines (or other springs, explain)...
3. Tokico HP's with my GC Sleeves...

Give me your opinion on the options! I'm looking for thoughts, not just a "Go Buddy Club" posts with no explanation. Those posts will be ignored honestly. Thanks everyone.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I'd go with the Buddy Club's as well. I think I'm going to get them a little further down the line.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I am in desperate need of new suspension! About 2 years ago, I bought the Ground Control sleeves for my 06 SI coupe and at first, loved them but it rode rough. Well the first winter, the rear struts blew and started handling like ass. This winter that just ended, well now the rear tires are so out of whack on the toe side of things, they wore out some OEM tires from about 70% tread to 0% in a couple months of winter driving! I'm desperately in need of suspension upgrades to get it back to handling like a civic should and then I can get an alignment to make it all gravy.

So I want a car that rides as close to stock as possible. I'm 29 years old and am finding myself getting more and more "old" in my driving routine. Sure I'll still race once in a while but it's always a straight line. The worst thing I'd do is take an offramp a lil faster than I should. I will never track the car and I don't care about making it handle on rails. I have my shocks right at the fender meeting the top of the tire (not tucking but no gap either) and love how it looks. I'd like to keep it there if possible but maybe up a bit won't kill me either. I don't want to go "two finger gap" HFP style either! One finger, max. I don't know how much of a drop that is so I'll go off everyone's opinion there. I was going to drop 9-1000 on a set of Buddy Club N+ coilovers so I can get struts too but that's really pushing it in terms of money right now. Plus, I won't be the kind of guy to ever adjust anything. Once the height is set, it stays. Once I find the spot for comfort, it stays. I thought about just getting the Tokico HP's to fix the issue and leave my sleeves in place but worry about the longevity that low. I always heard they weren't that great and don't handle well but after reading my boy Jon from Z1's review, I'm convinced their an option now. I have heard the Eibach's are a nice spring and one of the best drop springs with no squeaking but what do you think?

And on to the question, knowing a bit more of my situation, here's what I'm thinking so pick your choice with an explanation please.

1. Buddy Club N+ coilovers...
2. Tokico HP's with a new set of Eibach Sportlines (or other springs, explain)...
3. Tokico HP's with my GC Sleeves...

Give me your opinion on the options! I'm looking for thoughts, not just a "Go Buddy Club" posts with no explanation. Those posts will be ignored honestly. Thanks everyone.

So you are looking for:
1) A drop
2) Maintain near-stock ride comfort

AND your struts/shocks are toast. The Tokico + Sportline combo should be perfect for you. IF you don't have the SPC front/rear camber kits I'd highly recommend them as you really want that lowered suspension to be properly aligned. You can manage a fairly aggressive street alignment that will balance out some of the understeer from the factory alignment while keeping tire wear normal.

The misnomer about the Tokico HP's on this board is that people expect a "race ready" shock at a bargain price. It ain't gonna happen. The HP's are an excellent replacement for stock that are slightly more aggressive and designed for use with lowering springs. This is NOT a competition damper, nor will it perform like one. However, it will provide good ride quality on the street, and should last longer than the OEM's.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^Which is exactly what I'm looking for. I have rear camber kit but not up front. I might pick up a set of front bolts just in case.

I'm glad everyone (other than tricky) who recommended the buddy clubs know how to read. I ended the post with "I'm looking for thoughts, not just "Go Buddy Club" posts with no explanation." I'm looking to pros/cons of these set ups...

Anyone care to say anything about option 3?

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
^Which is exactly what I'm looking for. I have rear camber kit but not up front. I might pick up a set of front bolts just in case.

I'm glad everyone (other than tricky) who recommended the buddy clubs know how to read. I ended the post with "I'm looking for thoughts, not just "Go Buddy Club" posts with no explanation." I'm looking to pros/cons of these set ups...

Anyone care to say anything about option 3?
Front bolts are not necessary, but recommended - I can toss in a set for you for whatever route you choose if you end up ordering a new suspension from us.

I ended up with about -1.4 front camber with one set of bolts and I set the rear to -.8 if I remember correctly. This was enough to change the steering balance from a tendency to understeer while still keeping tire wear and tramlining under control as the car is a 100% daily driver. Also, if you are running an aggressive wheel/tire package, the additional camber will prevent rubbing the plastic inner fender liner on compression.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting ready to roll my fenders hopefully soon as I might have found access to one. I have 18x7.5 +35 rims with 225/40 tires and it rubs pretty bad on the plastic (not the metal). I'm gonna PM you for a price Jon...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.