8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a bit of help with this...

Today my electronic dashboard display started blinking and failing to display accurate information. The speedometer is just displaying zero, the tank appears empty, the odometer is blank, and the lights behind the rpm display were blinking constantly. Eventually the blinking stopped and the rpm light went off. At the same time a bunch of random warning lights showed up (check engine, for example).

Has anyone heard of this happening? Any idea what the problem may be?

I tried restarting the car a bunch of times, but that didn't change anything.

I'm driving an 07 Civic LX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just heard back from the dealer, who looked at the car today. They said that instrument panel cluster control module needs to be replaced, and that "we'll go from there." The part by itself is 385 CAD. They want another 150 to put it in.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Is it not under warranty?

Pull your battery cable for a while just to make sure it's not something really simple. I've had a cars digital cluster go completely insane on me before, and disconnecting a battery cable for a few minutes fixed it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
U-0155 F-CAN malfunction

I actually wasn't precise in my terminology before I think. The code that came up was apparently U-0155 F-CAN malfunction (ECM/PCM Gauge Control Module). I would be very interested in doing the work myself, but don't really know where to start. Anyone care to give me some instructions?

I'm trying to find the gauge control module from a scrap yard. One guys suggested there are actually two gauge control modules (one upper/one lower) in this car. Anyone know about this?

This isn't under warranty because I have over 120,000 kms on the car. Drove like mad for the past two years. This is the first big (read: expensive) problem I've had.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks quickfit.
A few questions:
1)You said part 2 at that link. I only see one part on that link.
2)There are good DIY instructions for radios on 8thgen. Do you know where specifically I need to look for the part I'm replacing?

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Thanks quickfit.
A few questions:
1)You said part 2 at that link. I only see one part on that link.
2)There are good DIY instructions for radios on 8thgen. Do you know where specifically I need to look for the part I'm replacing?
sorry, it was s differnt link that i was referenceing "part 2"...i linked you directly to the part instead of the image of the group of parts.

follow this on how to remove most of the dash.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/audio/37564-diy-aftermarket-radio-install-ex.html

in teh 7th pic you can see the lower gauge cluster is able to be removed. i dont 100% remember if it had to come out when i removed mine, but it cant hurt, its only a few screws. and harnesses at the back. aall harnesses only fit in one place, so you dont have to worry about mixing up harenss locations.
the you need to remove the dash area thats above the lower gauge cluster/infront of the upper cluster. theres a few screw and clips...just unsrew obvious screws and lightly tug on he part. where ther is resistance, look around for a screw or clip. once that is oout, there is a few screws around the upper cluster. unclip teh harensses and pull it out.

it is very easy to remove. should only take a little more than an hour, 2 at the most. have a assortment of screwdrivers. short ones for hard to reach areas, and a flat head for light prying.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had this issue with my 87 300ZX, it was and easy fix, just had to track down a working control box. That took about a week to get. That was about 5yrs ago. I'll check my helm and see what it says.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ok, I looked at the manual. Troubleshooting the speedo and tach modules is a PITA. Not to mention you need and HDS computer to test them... They are self contained units and self calibrate. Make sure you find out which one is causing the issue and order that one.

If you still have a warranty, use it. This is one area, I would personally avoid trying to fix myself.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
^why?
if he knows (the dealer told him its the speedometer unit) why cant he just replace it? a few harness plugs and thats all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, actually the dealer told me they would have to replace the gauge cluster control module, and see if that works. They seemed unsure that it was actually the problem. They were just following the codes. Seems to me like a good way to experiment on the customer's dime. Couldn't they temporarily replace it with a working module to find if that is the problem before making me pay the 385 for a new one? I'm not sure, and perhaps I'm missing something (perhaps that code only comes up when the module is toast).

I would be quite happy to let them frig around in there if it was under warranty. I just don't want to spend almost 600 bucks on something that might not work.

Jeff

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Well, actually the dealer told me they would have to replace the gauge cluster control module, and see if that works. They seemed unsure that it was actually the problem. They were just following the codes. Seems to me like a good way to experiment on the customer's dime. Couldn't they temporarily replace it with a working module to find if that is the problem before making me pay the 385 for a new one? I'm not sure, and perhaps I'm missing something (perhaps that code only comes up when the module is toast).

I would be quite happy to let them frig around in there if it was under warranty. I just don't want to spend almost 600 bucks on something that might not work.

Jeff
if they replace somthign and it doesnt fix the issue, you dont pay for it. your not responsible for their mis-diagnosis and extra parts they install.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On top of that, I don't expect many dealers to be carrying spare parts for cars that they don't forsee selling immediately. A gauge cluster would be one of those.

Hell, the dealership working on my tranny right now had to order a synchro. I would think most dealers would have that part. Then again, it would make sense why they wouldn't carry one. Most dealers don't work on tranny's everyday for a particular car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hadn't realized they won't charge me for the parts that are replaced as a result of a mis-diagnosis of the problem. I just talked to the dealer and explained my concern, and they said the same thing.

What made me concerned is that there are actually two gauge control modules (speedo & tach), both of which seem affected in my car. They are proposing that I replace the tach gauge control module. To me this seems odd, that the most likely problem is earlier along the line at the fuse box or wiring, etc. Anyway, perhaps they know something I don't.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, the speedo and tach modules are self contained individually. Sounds like they are proposing a coin toss. It could be the fuse block... I can't say. But they have the equipment to test everything but, I'm sure they want to charge for the labor to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
I hadn't realized they won't charge me for the parts that are replaced as a result of a mis-diagnosis of the problem. I just talked to the dealer and explained my concern, and they said the same thing.

What made me concerned is that there are actually two gauge control modules (speedo & tach), both of which seem affected in my car. They are proposing that I replace the tach gauge control module. To me this seems odd, that the most likely problem is earlier along the line at the fuse box or wiring, etc. Anyway, perhaps they know something I don't.
both units are effected?
its definatly not he gauges themselves then.
could be your ECU....which is maybe what they mean by control module.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: I forgot to update this a while back, when it was fixed. I didn't end up getting anything fixed by the dealer, or replacing any parts myself. The problem just went away on its own one day. It hasn't come back (in over 2 yrs). I still don't know what the underlying issue was. Perhaps Honda should advertise that their vehicles are self-repairing...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts