the light that illuminates my temperature knob went out a few months ago
the dealership said $90 to replace
but gosh
anyone know who to get to these bulbs?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so the light isnt just a remove and replace this will require the dash to come off and be soldered?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
The new bulbs come as a bulb and plastic socket assembly, you twist the socket to the left with a flat blade screwdriver for removal and twist to the right to install replacement.

And yes to the dash disassembly to access.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
If you can get the neo # somehow from the original part # you might be able to cross to an LED replacement.

The original bulbs still run quite hot and are prone to failure sooner than you might think.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
If you decide to get those and only replace one, it's not gonna match the rest of your AC controls. If you decide to do ALL of the AC controls, it's not gonna match your radio. And it's gonna be a tight fit. I had dremel it so that it'll go in, even after that, it's still a little tight.

If you wanna keep it simple, just buy the replacement bulbs from your dealership. If you wanna do LEDs, go all out and change everything, which means soldering.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How the hell did this burn out in a car that can't be more than 5 years old?!?!?
burned out after bout 2 years

If you can get the neo # somehow from the original part # you might be able to cross to an LED replacement.

The original bulbs still run quite hot and are prone to failure sooner than you might think.
its a 4mm i think and yeah thats part of my reason

If you decide to get those and only replace one, it's not gonna match the rest of your AC controls. If you decide to do ALL of the AC controls, it's not gonna match your radio. And it's gonna be a tight fit. I had dremel it so that it'll go in, even after that, it's still a little tight.

If you wanna keep it simple, just buy the replacement bulbs from your dealership. If you wanna do LEDs, go all out and change everything, which means soldering.
this has been a consideration and ive mostly decided to replace it stock

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
On my 05 I had a single bulb that was out for quite a while, I just ordered all of the bulbs for the audio/hvac pod, about 5 total. The 8th gens use several so a group relamp could get costly though. Another lamp may fail & you will have to disassemble again.

It did look much better & brighter after the change as the heat over time tends to darken the glass & dim the output.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Well, if mine burns out after 2 years, not only is the dealership going to fix it free of charge, but HoA is going to get a nice little letter. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous after just 2 years. I've had previous Hondas for 12 years w/o any lights going out. This isn't a pontiac.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so im officially upset with honda and my dash lights
i fixed the first one myself and now another one went out
this should not be happening

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I did the entire set on my 05 (5 bulbs total) about double that I would guess on an 8th gen. The illumination was much brighter afterwards. The bulbs run hot & can fail and they form a dark coating inside that makes them dimmer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts