8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to become an IT manager at a S&P 500/Nasdaq 100 company!
I'm scared! Any other IT managers out there with hints and or tips?:xyxnervou :eek:hnoes: :thumb:

-J

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Be friends with the employees and don't rule with an iron fist, but don't be a complete pushover as well.

Where I work all the managers are hard-asses with no people skills except one of them. He was super friendly with us, made jokes and just talked to us like any other person would, and oddly enough he is the one moving up to a corporate job out of just one of the regular businesses and into the main corporate office.

I'm sure there are more reasons than that as to why he was promoted, but it does help. Plus higher employee morale is always a good thing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sunshine said:
What college did you attend? What will you make in one year? I'm sure you're going to upgrade your car too....
I graduated from DeVry with a BS in Computer Science in late 2005. I'm currently back in school for my MBA from Keller Grad.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Vtec said:
Be friends with the employees and don't rule with an iron fist, but don't be a complete pushover as well.

Where I work all the managers are hard-asses with no people skills except one of them. He was super friendly with us, made jokes and just talked to us like any other person would, and oddly enough he is the one moving up to a corporate job out of just one of the regular businesses and into the main corporate office.

I'm sure there are more reasons than that as to why he was promoted, but it does help. Plus higher employee morale is always a good thing.
I wouldn't be in the position that I'm in now if it wasn't for my current manager leaving the company. He was a great guy and believes that I can fill the void perfectly. I will try my best. :box:

·
Registered
99 Posts
congrats!!
remember IT is hectic and your techs and engineers feel the brunt of user complaints and issues....... treat them well and they will do wonders for your department

1 - 13 of 13 Posts