8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my goals for this year is make my daily FG1 look as clean as possible.
Right now I’m fixing bunch of issues (new rack and pinion, new control arms, tires, at some point new ecu, etc.) after that I would like to make some under-the-hood mods to improve performance.
What would be the starters modification that I can go with?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic SI
143 Posts
One of my goals for this year is make my daily FG1 look as clean as possible.
Right now I’m fixing bunch of issues (new rack and pinion, new control arms, tires, at some point new ecu, etc.) after that I would like to make some under-the-hood mods to improve performance.
What would be the starters modification that I can go with?
I recently picked up a 2008 Civic SI and have similar goals. Here's areas to consider:
  • Paint - This one is often overlooked but invest in supplies to wash and protect your paint. Maybe pay to have someone do a full paint correction and ceramic coating. Either way, the main takeaway is keeping your car clean (wash and wax 1x per week) and this is an easy way to feel good about your car as well as have it stand out from most cars. Also, don't forget the interior. Invest in good supplies to fully clean and maintain the interior on a weekly basis as well. If your paint is trashed, maybe a new paint job?

• Shifter - This is something you touch and use every time you drive. There's lots of things you can do with the shifter to change the feel and driving experience. Shifter bushings, detent springs, shift knob, shifter base bushings, or even replace the entire assembly with a short shifter. I would include changing your transmission fluid in this category as well. This was one of the best things I did to the car so far. Change it with Amsoil MTF and enjoy the buttery smooth shifts!

• Suspension - The feeling of how your car rides is important in my opinion. As well as how it looks with it's stance. These cars can be so fun on the right roads with a good suspension setup even without modifying the motor. You also can never get tired of walking out to your car and seeing it lowered just how you like it.

• Wheels & Tires - Every car stands out and looks good with new wheels. Upgrading to good tires is probably the best "performance" upgrade you can do to your car. I would not cheap out on tires and they will give you way more performance gains than bolt-ons.

• Bolt-On's - What @Andr3w said: FlashPro, intake, header, exhaust, tune - My personal thoughts on bolt-ons for my build is that my car will look clean with or without bolt-ons so it's not a priority for me at this point.

• Appearance Mods - New Headlights, Fog lights, LED Bulbs, Lips, Taillights, Tints, etc. - These are all mods that will for sure help make your car look clean.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently picked up a 2008 Civic SI and have similar goals. Here's areas to consider:
  • Paint - This one is often overlooked but invest in supplies to wash and protect your paint. Maybe pay to have someone do a full paint correction and ceramic coating. Either way, the main takeaway is keeping your car clean (wash and wax 1x per week) and this is an easy way to feel good about your car as well as have it stand out from most cars. Also, don't forget the interior. Invest in good supplies to fully clean and maintain the interior on a weekly basis as well. If your paint is trashed, maybe a new paint job?

• Shifter - This is something you touch and use every time you drive. There's lots of things you can do with the shifter to change the feel and driving experience. Shifter bushings, detent springs, shift knob, shifter base bushings, or even replace the entire assembly with a short shifter. I would include changing your transmission fluid in this category as well. This was one of the best things I did to the car so far. Change it with Amsoil MTF and enjoy the buttery smooth shifts!

• Suspension - The feeling of how your car rides is important in my opinion. As well as how it looks with it's stance. These cars can be so fun on the right roads with a good suspension setup even without modifying the motor. You also can never get tired of walking out to your car and seeing it lowered just how you like it.

• Wheels & Tires - Every car stands out and looks good with new wheels. Upgrading to good tires is probably the best "performance" upgrade you can do to your car. I would not cheap out on tires and they will give you way more performance gains than bolt-ons.

• Bolt-On's - What @Andr3w said: FlashPro, intake, header, exhaust, tune - My personal thoughts on bolt-ons for my build is that my car will look clean with or without bolt-ons so it's not a priority for me at this point.

• Appearance Mods - New Headlights, Fog lights, LED Bulbs, Lips, Taillights, Tints, etc. - These are all mods that will for sure help make your car look clean.
This is literally what im looking to do with a 07 Si i just picked up. im looking for used suspension and engine mods just have no idea where to look lol

·
Registered
709 Posts
@MauiSI .... take a look at this forum's "for sale" section, and 'follow' it. There are other "Civic/Honda" forums out in the world as well, that will also potentially be a benefit. Lastly, you can search your local Craig's list, eBay, as well as letgo, and offer up apps. Personally I cringe about buying used suspension (mainly coil overs) but you could find a good header and/or cat back exhaust to start with.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic SI
143 Posts
This is literally what I'm looking to do with a 07 Si i just picked up. im looking for used suspension and engine mods just have no idea where to look lol
@209_fc1 I agree with @Jayro, I would not recommend getting used suspension. But if you are looking for a budget setup, I just received my Maxpeedingrod coilovers yesterday. They run for around $350 so you can follow my build thread and see my review on those but if those work out, that would be a good option.

I initially went the route of Tein S-Tech drop springs with Koni orange shocks/struts and they are alright but don't ride like I would like it. Just my thoughts. You can see my full review on my build thread as well on that setup. What I learned is suspension is a hard thing to recommend as everyone wants/expects something different. So I came to the conclusion of this...

If you don't understand or know what you want, get something with as much adjustability as you can afford. This way you can learn what you like best. That's why I'm moving towards a fully adjustable coilover. I may think I want "soft" suspension but maybe I actually want a stiff setup? I won't know until I have the adjustability and can test different settings.

As far as engine mods, I don't have any recommendations there as I plan on keeping my engine stock. The only thing I have is an axle back exhaust for sound. But same goes here. You can save some bucks going used but best to get brand new parts from reputable companies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.