8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to buy a new camera and I have it down to these two. i already have a Nikon Zoom Lens (55-200MM VR LENS). yes it has vibration reduduction. think it was released around march of 07. any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
there are only three differences.
1. sensor 6mp (200-1600ISO) vs 10mp (100-1600ISO)
2. continous speed (2.5fps vs 3.0)
3. and a mechanical shutter for the D40x which only allows of a flash sync of 1/200 only over 1/500 in the D40.

heres what i think:
-the megapixels arent going to make a difference.
-the lower ISO and flash sync is not something that will matter to the majority of non professionals.
- the continous speed is is something you'll have to decide on.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have the D40 an absolutely love it.

I was worried about the 6.1mp when I first looked into it and got it but the Point & Shoot world got me so hyped up about megapixels like they were the end all be all of digital photography.

The 6.1mp is more than I need at the moment, even at 100% the clarity of the picture far surpasses most p&p cameras.

Like e.60 said you'll have to base other things on your own opinion. The 100 iso in the D40x would be nice to have but only if you're doing lots of landscape shots or something in really bright daylight where fast shutter speeds aren't an issue.

If you only plan on using the pop-up flash then, like said, you're limited to 1/200 shutter speed in the D40x, where in the D40 you can get up to 1/500.

As far as the continuous shooting speed, I don't think I've ever even used that feature, and if I do I think 2.5 would be fine enough.

Overall I'd say both the D40s are pretty good cameras for the price and great intro cameras. However, unless you're planning on printing bigger than 8.5x11 then you'll get the bigger size out of the 10mp in the D40x.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
arisenfury said:
I have the D40 an absolutely love it.

I was worried about the 6.1mp when I first looked into it and got it but the Point & Shoot world got me so hyped up about megapixels like they were the end all be all of digital photography.

The 6.1mp is more than I need at the moment, even at 100% the clarity of the picture far surpasses most p&p cameras.

Like e.60 said you'll have to base other things on your own opinion. The 100 iso in the D40x would be nice to have but only if you're doing lots of landscape shots or something in really bright daylight where fast shutter speeds aren't an issue.

If you only plan on using the pop-up flash then, like said, you're limited to 1/200 shutter speed in the D40x, where in the D40 you can get up to 1/500.

As far as the continuous shooting speed, I don't think I've ever even used that feature, and if I do I think 2.5 would be fine enough.

Overall I'd say both the D40s are pretty good cameras for the price and great intro cameras. However, unless you're planning on printing bigger than 8.5x11 then you'll get the bigger size out of the 10mp in the D40x.
Just bought the D40. Got it for $495 at Best Buy. they priced matched and took a 10% off coupon i had. cant wait to start using it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts