8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been through the D.I.Y. forums and I've seen a ton of very simple things that make me wonder "Why would someone do a D.I.Y. on this?" Then it hit me, not everyone out there knows how to change a headlight bulb or replace the shift knob. While it may seem simple to some people, sometimes it just doesn't click with someone else. So today when I decided to change my rear shocks ("dampers" as the Brits and Yanks call 'em) I grabbed my camera and snapped a few shots.

BTW, I can't post in D.I.Y, so don't flame me for posting in the wrong section.

This is my first D.I.Y. so it won't be perfect, but I'll try.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:
-14mm socket and wrench
-Pliers/Visegrips/Channel Locks-any of the preceding tools will work
-Jack and jack stands
-5mm Allen(hex) key
-Flat tip screwdriver

****Don't clip the wires off the shock absorbers before you get to the step that says "clip the wires..." You'll see why.****

Now, I'll be starting on the driver's side of the vehicle. It doesn't matter on which side of the vehicle you start, they are mirror images of each other. Granted the passenger side is a little easier with the muffler out of the way.

For those of you that don't know, this large tubular object is your shock absorber/damper. It's main function is to keep your springs from bouncing around all willy nilly when you hit a bump. It is held in place at the base by the large grey bolt you can see. At the top in the trunk it is held in place by a nut that threads onto the shock itself(more on that later)
PB010074.jpg

Step 1: Let's get this thing in the air! Put the jack under the pinchweld, lift, and place your jack stands in a position where the car is level.
PB010073.jpg

Step 2:Take your 14mm socket or wrench, whichever you prefer, and loosen the bolt at the base of the shock absorber.

Note on step 2: If you place your jack under the rear control arm and lift ever so slightly, the bolt comes out easier. Once you get the bolt out and lower your jack, the shock absorber will be dangling by the bolt up top, this is okay.
PB010078.jpg

Step 3: This little fella has to come out in order to get to the top of the shock absorber. It is located in the trunk, about on third of the way from the hinge to the back corner, all the way at the top of the carpet. Take your flathead and unscrew it just like a normal screw. When the center part comes out enough to grab it with your fingers take it out the rest of the way by hand. This is much easier than trying to finesse it out with a screwdriver. Once the center is out, pull the outer ring out. Finally, peel the carpet back to allow access to the shock absorber.
PB010081.jpg

Step 4: Once you have access to the nut, take your 14mm wrench and place the box/closed end around the nut. The 5mm hex key goes in the tiny little hole on top of the threaded shock bolt, that is, if you still have OEM shocks as I did. This is used as an attempt to keep the shock absorber from spinning when you try to loosen it. I had to use the hex key as well as a pair of pliers to have enough force to get the nut loose.
Note: I didn't get a picture of the hex key in the bolt, but I'm sure you'll find it.
PB010084.jpg

Step 5: Once you have the shock absorber loose form the vehicle, pull that puppy outta there. There are two washers and two rubber bushings on the shock absorber. All parts must be removed from the vehicle. When you buy a new shock it comes with two new washers two rubber bushings and a new nut. *No pics of step 5*

Step 6: Basically, reverse step 5. You'll need to put a washer on the top of the shock with the convex side down, then put a rubber bushing on top of that. The bushing should fit perfectly into the concave side of the washer. Put the bolt through the mounting hole on your car, place a bushing on the trunk side of the bolt, put the last washer on, and thread the nut on. Hand tight is good for now. The shock absorber will be hanging by the nut on top. I regret not taking a better pic of this step, as it seems to be one of the more FAQ's out there.
PB010086.jpg

Step 7:If you let your jack down and moved it out of the way, please retrieve it. Place the jack underneath the control arm once again and start to raise it. While you are raising it, maneuver the bottom of the shock absorber into the bracket. Line it up and put the bolt through it. Hand tight is ok for now. After you get the bolt in, you can **clip the wire off the shock absorber.** (see, I told you) I find it easier to move the suspension up and around than it is to try and compress the shock to line it up.
PB010087.jpg

Step 8: Run the bolt and nut all the way down and tighten. Once these are done, go ahead and replace the fastener in the carpet and repeat all steps on the opposite side of the vehicle.

As I do quite enjoy working on my own vehicles, and I try to spread what little automotive and mechanical knowledge I have, this probably won't be my only D.I.Y. so any comments on how I can make it better would be appreciated. Other than that, enjoy! :vtec:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch for your compliments. I've got a few more ideas in store. All of which happen to be things that the ol' EX needs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks so much for the write up. I'm actually going to be doing this tomorrow. Out of curiosity, what new shocks did you go with? I bought Monre OESpectums.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks so much for the write up. I'm actually going to be doing this tomorrow. Out of curiosity, what new shocks did you go with? I bought Monre OESpectums.
I bought the exact same ones. I work at Advance Auto Parts and I get a pretty good discount on those. I figured I might as well get them now. I had to have some and I don't have the cash to get a good setup yet.

P.S. They work fine and the car rides a billion times better with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This DIY is great...very clear and concise. I used it yesterday to change out the rear shocks on my 06 EX. I spent about 80-90 bucks total on the pair of shocks at Advanced Auto. The reason I decided to change them out is b/c the Honda dealer (while my car was in their shop getting the rear control arms replaced as part of a recall) told me my rear shocks were "leaking" and needed to be replaced. They *literally* quoted me at $695 dollars for replacing the shocks alone! They also wanted to do the rear pads and rotors for a cool $594. Needless to say, I'm doing the brakes myself as well.

So, anyway...your DIY saved me 600 bucks, ha. Thank you!

·
Registered
220 Posts
This should be stickied. Nice and simple write up and should save me a bunch of money. Thanks for educating us man, I' vehad experience with dealers and their prices are off the hook. They tried to make me change my micron filter for $99 plus tax. I laughed and bolted from there.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I could have used this a few weeks ago! Honda quoted me almost 600 for the job so I put it off until I couldn't take the clunk any more. I brought it to an independent shop and they did it for less than 300.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a couple questions regarding replacing the shocks and struts on my 08 Civic EX. I recently had the oil changed and tires rotated and they told me one of my shocks had a slight leak. Since the car has 114k miles on it and the shocks and struts have never been replaced, I figure it's time to get it done. I see a couple of you went with the Monroe shocks, I was wondering if that's the recommended brand or is there another brand I should be looking at that is more reliable, better quality, gives a better ride, etc...? A relative of mine suggested Bilstein but I think they're over the top and I haven't found one that would fit anyway. Are KYB any good?

Forgive me but I'm not very auto mechanically inclined. What exactly does the 08 Civic have, 2 shocks and 2 struts? How much should I expect to pay to have this done? I was quoted $300 plus labor by an independent mechanic. TIA for any suggestions.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It has 2 struts in the back for sure. They're roughly 75 dollars a strut for the Monroe brand and cost about an hour of labor. Not sure about the front.. I've been happy with the Monroe so far.. I'm just happy to have a quiet ride !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Does this do anything?
2,716 Posts
I have a couple questions regarding replacing the shocks and struts on my 08 Civic EX. I recently had the oil changed and tires rotated and they told me one of my shocks had a slight leak. Since the car has 114k miles on it and the shocks and struts have never been replaced, I figure it's time to get it done. I see a couple of you went with the Monroe shocks, I was wondering if that's the recommended brand or is there another brand I should be looking at that is more reliable, better quality, gives a better ride, etc...? A relative of mine suggested Bilstein but I think they're over the top and I haven't found one that would fit anyway. Are KYB any good?

Forgive me but I'm not very auto mechanically inclined. What exactly does the 08 Civic have, 2 shocks and 2 struts? How much should I expect to pay to have this done? I was quoted $300 plus labor by an independent mechanic. TIA for any suggestions.
Your Civic has two struts in the front and two shocks in the rear. Monroe OEspectrum (the ones the make for the Civic) are mediocre at best, KYB is much better quality for both ride comfort and longevity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Coilover Shock Install

8thgeners I need your help! So the other day I tried to replace my shock absorbers on my 06 ex coupe but I could not for the life of me get the bottom bolts out. I tried it on both sides using a ratchet and also tried using air tools but it wouldn't budge. please help meeeee!

T

·
0 Posts
Use a tire jack or other jack to lift up the assembly under the bolt (under the spring) two or three inches up. That will make the bolt easy to get out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts