8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the CVT Transmission fluid from Honda cost $13qt. Has anyone paid less than that? The dealship is charging $120 to chage it out. If you have any info, please let me know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
$120 for CVT fluid change? What a rip off. It's as easier than an oil change since there is no filter.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
To drain the fluid did you have to remove part of the car underbody panel?

Just wondering. If it's really that easy I might try it myself when the time comes.

Which brings up another question: How do you know when the CVT fluid needs a change?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just got done changing mine and it was a piece of cake to change. I didn't even have to fold back the under panel. I am glad I read a few things about it before I did it like having the dip stick out before I drained it and having the 3/8 socket drive or I would have called the dealer on that one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It seems like the CVT Transmission fluid from Honda cost $13qt. Has anyone paid less than that? The dealship is charging $120 to chage it out. If you have any info, please let me know.
Have had trans service 2 times at Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA. First one was $70, second was $89 with coupon. Invoice indicated $10 per quart of oil.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I change CVT fluid and filter at 3K miles. Then every 30K miles.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Why at only 3K?

Did mine at 50K. Was still pretty transparent colored.
Change it all out at 3k miles to get rid of the funky break in fluids. Then 10k mile oil change with 30k mile CVT fluid and filter change. But over all it does not matter. The wife wrecked the car last month. So it's rolling junk now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have changed my trans fluid 4 times. it is simple. Drain out the bottom, fill through the top. the dealer told me that it was 3 quarts - just put it in and I would be good to go. You don't want to overfill it because the additional pressure that builds up in the tranny will blow out some seals.
I pay about $10 per quart. Pretty cheap insurance. My '06 has 115,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I changed my ATF to Red Line H-Type CVT ATF about 5000 miles ago. No significant performance difference, but the tranny does "buzz" less.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts