8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the effects ( as far as fuses go, or shorting out a bulb )
of what would happen if i cut the park lights wire on my park lights? Will the turn signals still work? I want to have only my turn signals work when i need to use them and i want to hook up my Halo's to the park lights wire. I dont like the way the amber park lights look with they are on.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
found this on ebay....

Most of the aftermarket headlights you see selling on eBay usually have two major features. One being a projector headlight, because most cars don't come equipped from the factory with projectors, they usually just have regular reflective headlights. And two, most aftermarket headlight have what are called "Halos" or "Angel Eyes". This feature is very popular because of it gives regular cars a very distinctive look. This feature can only be found on most high end BMW's.

In 99% of aftermarket headlights with real halos, WILL require some modification to your vehicles wiring harness. A lot of eBay sellers like to use the term "PLUG AND PLAY", but that term has been mis-used by many sellers. Real aftermarket Halos lights will require a separate connection, because most cars don't come with Halos from the factory, so your vehicle won't have a plug or harness for it.

***PLEASE REMEBER. IF YOU HAVE NO PROIR KNOWLEGDE OF YOUR VEHICLE'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OR HAVE NEVER DONE ANY KIND OF MODIFICATION TO YOUR VEHICLES ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND HAVING A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL INSTALL THE LIGHTS FOR YOU. ***
*This is just an Example, your actual lights may not look like what we shown, but the blue prints are very similar.

So here are some tips on installing aftermarket halo headlight into your vehicle. First let me show you what a typical Halo connection looks like on most aftermarket lights.

First you have to identify which wires are for the Halos. Example of what they may look like

The colors of the wires will vary. But in most cases they will be two different colors, to separate the GROUND wire from the POWER wire. To identify which is which can be tricky in some cases. But in most cases Black or White wires are usually the ground wire, but not in all cases. When you finally make the connection, just experiment with the two wires to test to see which wires are which.

WHERE TO CONNECT THE HALO WIRES TO:.

The most common and recommend place to connect the Halo wires to are on your vehicle's PARKING light wiring harness.
Example of what a common parking/ signal light harness looks like:

Your signal/ parking light harness will have 3 different color wires. For ground, parking and signal. THE ORDER OF THE WIRES WILL VARY.

After you identify which wires on your vehicle's harness are which, again, if you are not sure, you can just experiment to check which wires are which.

You than connect the ground wire from your aftermarket light to the ground wire on your vehicles signal/ parking wiring harness.
And than you connect the power wire from your aftermarket lights to your PARKING light wire, and not your signal light wire.
o
If you connect your power wire to your vehicles signal light wire, this will cause your halos to blink whenever you turn on your signal lights.
There are various ways to connect the two wires together.
o
We recommend using a wire clamp or tap, it is the easiest, fastest and safest way of doing this, they can be found at most auto part or electrical stores. Basically it is a small clamp were to put two different wires together and close down on a locking clamp. It properly connects the two wires together without any cutting of any of the wires yourself.

If you cannot find or get any of these clamps, you do have other options. But the general rule is to somehow connect or tap into your vehicles wiring harness to connect the halo wires properly.

After that you test the lights to see if they are working properly by turning on your parking light. Here is where you can check to see if you connected the right wires together. If it does not work properly, here is where you experiment with the different wires to see if maybe you connected them incorrectly.

Some aftermarket headlights have what are called a Dual Halo or Twin Halo, that is where there are two halos on each light instead of one. The installation of those are exactly the same process we just went over.

This is a similar way to connect LED lights as well. Adding LEDs to aftermarket lights are now becoming very popular. Than installation of the LEDs on aftermarket headlights are very similar to connecting Halo.
***IMPORTANT TIP***
If you are curious to see what kind of Halo lights you're about to purchase is to just ask the seller a question about it. REPUTABLE SELLERS should be able to tell you how the Halos work and how they should be installed properly.

Hope this guide helps you in making a purchase of aftermarket lights,

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This will work.
I'm 100% sure it would give the desired effect because I just went out and ripped out my bulb so I could multimeter it :)
You should do the same thing with your new projectors when you get them. Are you hooking up your Halos?

I think for my idea i would have to cut the factory park lamp red wire and hook it up to the red halo's wire..Ground the black Halo wires to the black factory park light wires. By cutting the Factory Red wire should eliminate the pars coming on in the factory park light. The blinker wire should be brown wire. If you would...please confirm. My car is in the garage and its like 20 degrees outside.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm sort of doing the same thing, but opposite. I only want them on with my turn signals, haha.

You can ground the halos anywhere, no real need to wire the ground to the parking light unless it's convenient.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i taped into my parking lights when i wired up halos so i would assume that you could just cut the wire and safely cover it and your parking lights woulnt come on just your turn signals, or you could get chrome bulbs for them

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
You should do the same thing with your new projectors when you get them. Are you hooking up your Halos?

I think for my idea i would have to cut the factory park lamp red wire and hook it up to the red halo's wire..Ground the black Halo wires to the black factory park light wires. By cutting the Factory Red wire should eliminate the pars coming on in the factory park light. The blinker wire should be brown wire. If you would...please confirm. My car is in the garage and its like 20 degrees outside.
You are correct.

Brown on one side, Blue on the other side. That will be the flasher.

Red wire is where you want to install the halo to be the parking light only.

*from the diy*
It’s time to determine how you want to wire your sidemarkers. You have three options-
1) The sidemarkers will flash in time with the turn signals only
2) The sidemarkers will be on with the parking lamps only
3) The sidemarkers will be on with the parking lamps, and when you turn on the signals they will alternate (wig-wag) with the signals (IF THE PARKING LAMPS ARE ON. if the parking lamps are off they signal like option 1).

I originally chose option 1, but Nguyen, who posts on the Wichita Kansas chat and BS thread suggested the last path. I tried it today, and it works!

Your turn signal bulb has three wires- a red wire for the parking lamp, a black wire that is the ground, and finally a BLUE (left/driver’s side) or BROWN (right/passenger’s side) wire that is for the turn signal.

If you want option 1, wire your power wire from the sidemarker to the blue or brown wire and your sidemarker ground wire to the ground on the turn signal.

If you want option 2, wire your power wire from the sidemarker to the red wire and your sidemarker ground wire to the ground on the turn signal.

If you want option 3, wire your power wire from the sidemarker to the turn signal to the blue or brown wire and your sidemarker ground wire to the red wire.

I’m guessing this works because the circuit is still “grounded” via the ground at the turn signal, but I’m not a genius when it comes to electrical.

Make your decision and wire it up!

·
Registered
176 Posts
that is correct anywhere on the frame, the whole frame of your car is grounded if you follow the negative terminal from the batter you will see it is connected to the frame at one point

1 - 16 of 16 Posts