8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... After the problems I had with the Honda-branded iPod accessory (detailed in this thread and my original article entitled Honda Music Link iPod Adapter Review) I decided that I should just built my own adapter.

Well, it's done.

If you look here you can see what the driver sees. That is, a solidly mounted iPod which hooks up to the AUX input, and the only visible wire is the short one leading to the iPod's dock connector.

The rest of the photos, from the start of the process through the end, are all available here: iPod in 2006 Honda Civic (EX w/ Navigation System) » Second Version (Built-In).

Hopefully you'll find the photos useful. If you have any questions about the setup and/or how I made it, I'll do my best to answer. If you are interested in the first iPod hookup I built which is all external and nestles inside of the pocket in front of the gear select, I might be willing to sell it. Or, if you want to make one yourself, it contains about $30 in parts and the aforementioned link should give you all the info you need in order to do it.

-Steve

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
amazing work again steve. So does it work with the screen and buttons now? I know the original was giving you all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
webby said:
amazing work again steve. So does it work with the screen and buttons now? I know the original was giving you all kinds of problems.
Thank you. And yep, that's exactly what it does... It's just hooked to +12v and Aux In without any visible wires. It's solid enough so that when I press the rocker wheel, nothing moves. I'm quite happy with it.

I'd also like to be able to press Next and Previous and have it jump forward and backward through the tracks while still having the iPod interface available, but would be revision 3... If I even do it.

-Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
how to remove front panel to expose radio

hello steve (or anyone),
i just bought an ipod adapter for the 2006 honda civic lx sedan radio aux port (www.icarkits.com). i'm going to install it myself but i'm having trouble getting info on how to remove the panel to get to the radio. anyone know how and can share preferably with photos but anyway you like.

thanks
michael

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
mammy said:
hello steve (or anyone),
i just bought an ipod adapter for the 2006 honda civic lx sedan radio aux port (www.icarkits.com). i'm going to install it myself but i'm having trouble getting info on how to remove the panel to get to the radio. anyone know how and can share preferably with photos but anyway you like.

thanks
michael
Nice to see you on this forum tooo, it me, from edmunds chat :)

doan4u

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice work! Im just curious why didn't you just use the belkin charger part and hide it under where you put you home made supply?
mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mammy said:
hello steve (or anyone),
I suggest grabbing the install manuals for accessories for your car sites like College Hills Honda and H and A Accessories and reading them. There are complete directions in them for taking apart various parts of the dash.

-Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
windsurf7 said:
Nice work! Im just curious why didn't you just use the belkin charger part and hide it under where you put you home made supply?
Because I wanted my own solution without the amp which the Belkin has. It was easy enough to make...

-Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
c0nsumer said:
Because I wanted my own solution without the amp which the Belkin has. It was easy enough to make...

-Steve
ahh I forgot about that stupid amp they put in that Belkin put in that one! I should have known I have that one in my pickup. That would be sweet solution if it didn't have the amp. Again Nice Work!

·
Registered
602 Posts
hmm nice me hooking my IPOD to my deck was easy since i replaced the factory deck witha alpine deck and just got the $30 ipod cable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
windsurf7 said:
ahh I forgot about that stupid amp they put in that Belkin put in that one! I should have known I have that one in my pickup. That would be sweet solution if it didn't have the amp. Again Nice Work!
Thank you. :) The amp isn't bad, but it's also not needed. I did basically what you are describing on my Grand Am back in 2003 (crappy photos here), but when I got this vehicle I wanted to do it right. What I like most personally is the holder... It's all matte black and blends in great.

-Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BLACKFG said:
hmm nice me hooking my IPOD to my deck was easy since i replaced the factory deck witha alpine deck and just got the $30 ipod cable.
Thank you. May I ask what cable that is?

-Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts