8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im willing to spend 500 for a nice resonator and canister... I dont care about the sound really but dont want it too loud... I just want performance, it can be any type and I dont know the differences between a canister and a stock type (circular vs oval) and which provides better gains. So far I have had my eye on apexi and hks because they are the most expensive, but im sure there are other worthy companies out there... and I dont want an American exhaust (ex magniflow)

I will be getting an exhaust shop locally to put it together since there are no large exhausts for the r18..

Any help would be appreciated.... PS. I made a thread earlier but lost it, and nobody gave any helpful info.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Im willing to spend 500 for a nice resonator and canister... I dont care about the sound really but dont want it too loud...I just want performance,
If you're going turbo then you will make gains, if not, then it's just noise with a 3" on an R18.

So far I have had my eye on apexi and hks because they are the most expensive, but im sure there are other worthy companies out there... and I dont want an American exhaust (ex magniflow)
Don't buy an exhaust just because it is expensive. There is also Tanabe which makes universal mufflers. Straight through is usually louder than chambered mufflers. Depends on the company.

I will be getting an exhaust shop locally to put it together since there are no large exhausts for the r18..
You'd want mandrel bends for the piping then.

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
Never thought I'd see the day when R18 & 3" exhaust is used in the same sentence.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
1.If you don't care about sound then why spend(waste) money on a resonator?

2.Around or oval canister won't differ in gains so it would matter.But again..why waste money when you don't care about sound...just run straight pipe all the way back to the bumber.

3.WHY do you feel a 3" exhaust will give you better gains than a slightly smaller exhaust like a mandrel bent 60mm?If you are going to boost please forgive and ignore this last question but if you are not strapping a snail on your engine you might as well aim just a little lower in the exhaust size department.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
im boosting with the tsi kit, and a new sheet metal IM, im aiming for 12 psi...

I care about sound and a straight through would be too much noise, i just mean im not picky...

There is also Tanabe which makes universal mufflers. Straight through is usually louder than chambered mufflers
im interested, straight through is a cannister, chambered is what is a stock exhaust? I like the chambered look better because it looks like stock

hahhaha cause there expensive...hahaha
Personally I have found that more expensive items are that way because of R&D and quality of materials, which you haven't found out yet, I guess your K-Mart jeans look good on you? Say something useful or don't say anything.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
im interested, straight through is a cannister, chambered is what is a stock exhaust? I like the chambered look better because it looks like stock

Canister or stock oval shaped mufflers, come in both straight through OR chambered. It depends on the company that makes the system and application. Greddy, Tanabe, HKS for example make oval shaped exhaust systems in both straight through and chambered.

My Si is FI so I went with this muffler, it's a straight through design.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
dude get it done by a shop i paid 320 for my 3" and you'll have money left over and for a tip go to the f/s thread if u need stuff

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks so much for the responses, so for f/i thats the greddy dt right? that has the best gains? I am not worried about money for a good cannister / resonator... but I would rather spend on quality rather than name brand... im going to look at the greddy dt now, I think thats the one you have...

as far as the shop I just need to find a good exhaust shop, from what I understand the resonator and muffler distance is what makes the resonator work... so I am guessing that an experienced shop is what is required...

other than the greddy anyone have an opinion on a specific cannister and the reason behind?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
thanks so much for the responses, so for f/i thats the greddy dt right? that has the best gains?
Best gains? I've never compared dynos with other mufflers on my car, but it was straight through and very quiet. There is a noticeable difference if I take off the secondary plug. Best of all it was on clearance from Greddy for 99 bucks. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts