8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
28 Front seems MORE overkill....
I thought 28mm is the same as the Si from sway...

I meant to ask you something last time.....Like you said before bigger front doesn't mean you will go through the corner faster.....Does that apply for the vehicle that doesn't have LSD????:thumb:

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I meant to ask you something last time.....Like you said before bigger front doesn't mean you will go through the corner faster.....Does that apply for the vehicle that doesn't have LSD????:thumb:
True an LSD can help with corner exit acceleration, but they also tend to add to "throttle induced" understeer on corner exit as well. I should have gone into more detail with my last post sorry.

"For example, Take an open Diff FWD car accelerating out of a turn. The outside tire is heavily loaded (lots of traction) and the inside tire is lightly loaded (very little traction). In this instance the outside front is using 99% of its avalible traction making the car turn. Once the driver starts adding in throttle, thanks to the open diff, the front inside ends up getting most of the power = possible inside wheel spin, the outside gets a small fraction of power, and has to split its avalible traction between cornering and accelerating.. so you get a little more push and not much acceleration.

Add in an LSD... same instance as above, inside lightly loaded, outside heavy load... except in this case, thanks to the LSD, as the driver adds in throttle, the LSD now forces a lot more of the cars power to the tire thats heavliy loaded and not much to the tire thats lightly loaded... SO, now the front outside tire loses a substantial amount of the traction it was using to make the car turn in order to use it for acceleration, and the inside tire doesnt spin... So you've reduced/eliminated inside wheel spin and increased your rate of acceleration out of turns at the cost of increasing the amount of throttle on understeer the car has...

This only gets worse as you increase the effectiveness of the front anti-roll bar. Because the anti-roll bar effectivly increases the load on the outside front and decrease it more on the inside front... which means the car is relying even MORE on that outside front tire to make the car turn, and any loss in cornering traction in favor of acceleration = more push."

·
Registered
214 Posts
True an LSD can help with corner exit acceleration, but they also tend to add to "throttle induced" understeer on corner exit as well. I should have gone into more detail with my last post sorry.

"For example, Take an open Diff FWD car accelerating out of a turn. The outside tire is heavily loaded (lots of traction) and the inside tire is lightly loaded (very little traction). In this instance the outside front is using 99% of its avalible traction making the car turn. Once the driver starts adding in throttle, thanks to the open diff, the front inside ends up getting most of the power = possible inside wheel spin, the outside gets a small fraction of power, and has to split its avalible traction between cornering and accelerating.. so you get a little more push and not much acceleration.

Add in an LSD... same instance as above, inside lightly loaded, outside heavy load... except in this case, thanks to the LSD, as the driver adds in throttle, the LSD now forces a lot more of the cars power to the tire thats heavliy loaded and not much to the tire thats lightly loaded... SO, now the front outside tire loses a substantial amount of the traction it was using to make the car turn in order to use it for acceleration, and the inside tire doesnt spin... So you've reduced/eliminated inside wheel spin and increased your rate of acceleration out of turns at the cost of increasing the amount of throttle on understeer the car has...

This only gets worse as you increase the effectiveness of the front anti-roll bar. Because the anti-roll bar effectivly increases the load on the outside front and decrease it more on the inside front... which means the car is relying even MORE on that outside front tire to make the car turn, and any loss in cornering traction in favor of acceleration = more push."

Oh...I see......doesn't matter whether the car has LSD or not, bigger front sway generally doesn't help corner faster..........got it......:thumb:

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Oh...I see......doesn't matter whether the car has LSD or not, bigger front sway generally doesn't help corner faster..........got it......:thumb:
I would say that is more "to a point" than "in general." If you have super stiff front springs, smaller is better. If you don't, bigger is better to a point and I think that point is 28mm for the Si, which is the stock sized bar.

For much much much more information on how suspension actually work, read the "Suspensions ..." sticky and the "Suspension theory and chat" sticky.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would say that is more "to a point" than "in general." If you have super stiff front springs, smaller is better. If you don't, bigger is better to a point and I think that point is 28mm for the Si, which is the stock sized bar.

For much much much more information on how suspension actually work, read the "Suspensions ..." sticky and the "Suspension theory and chat" sticky.
Yeah ! I read the stickies....but there isn't any more specific about the car that doesn't have LSD. So, if you want to get a sports tuned suspension like HFP. Then, 28mm sway will help you more in turns.....than you have a racing spec suspension setup........am I right? :help:

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Actually, even for a non LSD car, the principle is still the same. Also, a sway bar ties the to sides of the suspension together. If you are accelerating out of a turn, a sway bar is actually trying to lift the inside tire off the ground. With an open diff, the tire with the least traction gets the power and in our case, thats the inside front wheel that is being lifted off the ground by the sway bar. A softer sway bar will help keep the inside tire more on the ground and thus create more traction. This added traction helps the car acceletate out of a corner.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Actually, even for a non LSD car, the principle is still the same. Also, a sway bar ties the to sides of the suspension together. If you are accelerating out of a turn, a sway bar is actually trying to lift the inside tire off the ground. With an open diff, the tire with the least traction gets the power and in our case, thats the inside front wheel that is being lifted off the ground by the sway bar. A softer sway bar will help keep the inside tire more on the ground and thus create more traction. This added traction helps the car acceletate out of a corner.
Good info.............Thanks....:thumb:

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
The downfall tot he softer front bar is the potential to go into a positive camber situation.. and therefore needs to be compensated with by slightly stiffer springs...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts