8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got the 06 coupe navi auto, loving it, but not loving the airbag light going on 1 out of every 5 times i start the car and it annoys me i feel like if i get into an accident the bags wont deploy. number 2 an awful sound from the left windshield wiper blade which btw it poured in ny for the first time since i got the car and the blades move way to slow, number 3 no matter how much i lower the bass and shut the woofer off i still get bass rattles in my rear when i blast the music
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
you should have stuck with the Benz. seriously though, the airbag light should turn on briefly every time you start the car. read your owner's manual.

i don't know about sounds from your wiper blades.

the rattle from your back windshield: there was another post where a 3 people had a rattle from back there. 2 had problems with the interior deck not being properly installed. there was one clip that was not properly inserted so removal and reinstallation was necessary. the other person tied down his subwoofer's wiring harness and that fixed it.

http://www.8thgencivic.com/honda-civic-forum/649-pulled-rear-shelf-today-mini-how-those-curious.html?highlight=back+rear+clip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never had a benz, just a die hard fan, i did have a 05 caddy cts which was a lemon and hence i went back to honda for realiability and 400 dollars cheaper a month, caddy was nice but i always had loaners, anyway the airbag light does not go off it will stay on for the duration of the trip unless i shut the car off and try it again, sometimes i have to do this multiple times otherwise the light will stay on (scary)

the wipers i dont know either,

and i do not have a rattle in my back winshield scroll up and read again if i have no music on i dont get a rattle, if i blast the music i get a bass shaking sound in the back is that the same thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
bass rattles with no bass on, you got me beat.

back to the air bag: there are two air bag lights, one for you and one for the passenger. let's say the one for you is the dash light and the one for the passenger is the yellow light. which light is coming on? the dash or yellow light?

they should both come on briefly when started. in addition to that, if something that weighs less than an adult human is in the passenger seat, or you've stuffed something under the passenger seat, then this light will stay on as a safety feature. again, "read the owner's manual for an explanation."

i believe if your dash light is staying on then, yes you have something wrong with your airbag, or you've stuffed something under your drivers seat and it's messing with that sensor.

take it to the dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the one that comes on and stays on is by the tachometer its red its a person sitting down with an inflated airbag infront of them, its not the yellow side airbag light and its not the yellow passenger light, nothing under any seats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
I have the same airbag light comming on. I determined that it will only come on after brief stops. Like if you stop at the gas station and buy a coke or something, then get back in the car. If i leave it sitting for about 30 mins it doesnt come on.
I plan on taking mine too the dealer sometime next week. And im am going to ask about the rattling too, which I also have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Are you riding around with stuff on the front seat? I've noticed that when I put something on the passenger seat, like say a gym bag or something, the pass airbag is off with the light on. Must be a weight sensor in the seat and the car thinks a child/child seat is on it thus turns it off. who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
C17chief said:
Are you riding around with stuff on the front seat? I've noticed that when I put something on the passenger seat, like say a gym bag or something, the pass airbag is off with the light on. Must be a weight sensor in the seat and the car thinks a child/child seat is on it thus turns it off. who knows.
Yeah, same thing happen to me... When I had my backpack on it, the light went on... Even when I had my lil bro in the front... He weighs about 60 pounds... Its because of the weight and how you cant have a child in the front... Also if someone were to lean on the passenger side door, the light would come on too, saying the side are bags are off...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I also have the airbag light problem. Sometimes it comes on at startup & shuts off like it should, other times it stays on for the entire trip. Doesn't seem to be any pattern. It happens when the passenger seat is empty or occupied.

Well, I'll let them work on that next week when I take it in for the 4th time for the oil leak they can't figure out. So far this, car has been a real disappointment. I have 2200 miles so far, and here is the problem list:

1 - First took it in because the oil pan, filter, & my garage floor were covered in oil. First visit they put dye in the oil. Second visit they replaced the oil pan & gasket. Third visit they replaced the oil pan gasket & put some sealant on it. It's still leaking, waiting for them to hear from the Honda Rep.

2 - The rear deck wasn't installed properly from the factory. They ordered a new one. On backorder.

3 - The trim piece around the emergency brake handle wasn't installed properly / broken from the factory. They ordered a new one.

4 - Power steering leaking. They replaced o-rings.

5 - Air bag light comes on & stays on at random.

Other than that, it's a fun car to drive, just don't have it to drive very often.

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
SRSchang said:
Well, I'll let them work on that next week when I take it in for the 4th time for the oil leak they can't figure out. So far this, car has been a real disappointment. I have 2200 miles so far, and here is the problem list:

1 - First took it in because the oil pan, filter, & my garage floor were covered in oil. First visit they put dye in the oil. Second visit they replaced the oil pan & gasket. Third visit they replaced the oil pan gasket & put some sealant on it. It's still leaking, waiting for them to hear from the Honda Rep.
2 - The rear deck wasn't installed properly from the factory. They ordered a new one. On backorder.
3 - The trim piece around the emergency brake handle wasn't installed properly / broken from the factory. They ordered a new one.
4 - Power steering leaking. They replaced o-rings.
5 - Air bag light comes on & stays on at random.
Other than that, it's a fun car to drive, just don't have it to drive very often.

Scott
Damn thats a whole gang of problems.... Only 2200 miles... I gotta keep my eye out on those... Thanks for the list...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I had the light come on once for about a 4 mile trip. I turned off the car at a red light and it quit. My Jeep Liberty did the same thing but definitely more often. I hope mine was a one time deal. I have the rattling too. We thought when we got the windows tinted the guy may have taken the back off. He didn't so we weren't really sure. Mine doesn't do it that often, thankfully. Just gotta get the quirks worked out. My first Honda, the stupid CD player was broken. I guess all new cars have to do something weird.

Kim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
SRSchang said:
1 - First took it in because the oil pan, filter, & my garage floor were covered in oil. First visit they put dye in the oil. Second visit they replaced the oil pan & gasket. Third visit they replaced the oil pan gasket & put some sealant on it. It's still leaking, waiting for them to hear from the Honda Rep.

Have them check the Valve cover gasket. Mine was rolled when installed and cased my oil leak.
 

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
Joined
·
1,630 Posts
SRSchang said:
I also have the airbag light problem. Sometimes it comes on at startup & shuts off like it should, other times it stays on for the entire trip. Doesn't seem to be any pattern. It happens when the passenger seat is empty or occupied.

Well, I'll let them work on that next week when I take it in for the 4th time for the oil leak they can't figure out. So far this, car has been a real disappointment. I have 2200 miles so far, and here is the problem list:

1 - First took it in because the oil pan, filter, & my garage floor were covered in oil. First visit they put dye in the oil. Second visit they replaced the oil pan & gasket. Third visit they replaced the oil pan gasket & put some sealant on it. It's still leaking, waiting for them to hear from the Honda Rep.

2 - The rear deck wasn't installed properly from the factory. They ordered a new one. On backorder.

3 - The trim piece around the emergency brake handle wasn't installed properly / broken from the factory. They ordered a new one.

4 - Power steering leaking. They replaced o-rings.

5 - Air bag light comes on & stays on at random.

Other than that, it's a fun car to drive, just don't have it to drive very often.

Scott

Check out the sticked common problems thread, the oil leak is from the bolts on the valva cover, Honda even wrote a memo on this. The rear deck rattle is from an imporperly installed clip that costs $0.50 or so. The rest are somewhat uncommon problems for this car. click here for a link to that thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Benzboy429 said:
ok so i got the 06 coupe navi auto, loving it, but not loving the airbag light going on 1 out of every 5 times i start the car and it annoys me i feel like if i get into an accident the bags wont deploy. number 2 an awful sound from the left windshield wiper blade which btw it poured in ny for the first time since i got the car and the blades move way to slow, number 3 no matter how much i lower the bass and shut the woofer off i still get bass rattles in my rear when i blast the music
Dude. i have the exact same problems as you. Wiper noise, sub rattle, airbag lights. i am also in NY. I bought mine at millenium honda in hempstead. I am going to take my car back to the dealer very soon. I will let you know what they say. Let me know if they tell you anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Benzboy429 said:
the one that comes on and stays on is by the tachometer its red its a person sitting down with an inflated airbag infront of them, its not the yellow side airbag light and its not the yellow passenger light, nothing under any seats
Mine does this as well. I have to shut the car off and on to get the light to go off. It is not the passenger airbag light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
weighty subject

C17chief said:
Are you riding around with stuff on the front seat? I've noticed that when I put something on the passenger seat, like say a gym bag or something, the pass airbag is off with the light on. Must be a weight sensor in the seat and the car thinks a child/child seat is on it thus turns it off. who knows.
Yes, there are 4 weight sensors under the passenger seat to verify whether or not the passenger weighs enough (thus is big enough) to safely deploy the air bag. If they aren't heavy enough (thus too small) the bag shuts off. There's a plethora of fascinating tidbits in the owner's manual. I highly advocate your reading it. :) (Page 21 of the 06 Coupe Manual shows where the sensors are)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Ok, I finally went in and talked to my friend at the dealer. And heres what I found out about the airbag light.

When you start up your car, it will detect your weight, seatbelt, passenger weight, etc. Anyways, if your carrying a cell phone with you, the signals that it constantly recieving interfer with the cars system and so the airbag system shuts off.

He said that honda knows about this and it has been a problem for about five years now but they do not know how to correct it. So the temp solution if it comes on is to shut the car back off. Turn your phone off then crank it back up, then you can turn your phone back on. But im thinkin that you can just toss you phone in the back seat, so that it if far away from the cars system, then crank your car up.

Next the rattling rear deck, Honda also knows about this. They are currently working on recall for this. It is going to be a type of sound deading system installed on the underside of the deck. They have had many complaints on this item. But Im thinking, the more they get the faster the recall will come out. So if this is bothering you, go complain, it will help us all.

He told me that he has not heard any problems like mine with the C pillars rattling though. Ill probably get an answer about it later this week.

Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well the airbag light still comes on, cell phone or no cell phone in car, wipers are still making the weird sound and the speakers and still making noises like i own a 1980 honda del la sol or whatever the hell it is lol, and igotsoul4u, i brought my car at hillside honda which doesnt give loaners i think where you brought yours they do, so i'm without a car for a whole day or 2 so i'm about 1k more miles from an oil change i'll have them fix or attempt to when i bring it in for that
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top