8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever have their cat scanned? I have to go today at 3 and i had a few questions that i forgot to ask the doctor. How long does it usually take? they asked me if i am clostrophobic (sp?) and i really haven't been put in a situation to know. Is it that bad?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
sure i can help u out

cat scans usually take about 20 - 30 minutes depending on what region their scanning. if its the head its about 15 minutes. if its the abdomen, pelvis,chest then about 30 mins.

claustrophobic means if ur afraid of tight spaces, usually we dont ask that for patients because its only the MRI that has the impact. the CT machine is VERY open machine its like a HUGE donut shaped machine. basically its like being scanned through a hullahoop but laying down.

if they give u an injection which will contain iodine u will need to be fasting before hand. meaning no food or water 6 hrs before. because if u do eat before hand it will make u extremely nauseaus and therefore void the exam.

pm me if u have anymore questions i will gladly answer them for u, otherwise u should be just fine.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
cypress said:
if they give u an injection which will contain iodine u will need to be fasting before hand. meaning no food or water 6 hrs before. because if u do eat before hand it will make u extremely nauseaus and therefore void the exam.
That iodine injection feels very, very strange. When I got mine it felt exactly like I was slowly putting my arm into a bucket of ice cold water, then, when it hit my shoulder it gave me a very ill feeling. Didn't throw up, but it was very uncomfortable. The feeling was 'neat' up til it hit the shoulder though.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is for my head, do i still get the iodine? and the machine is more open for the head right? i asked them if i needed to do anything for prep and they sai no just show up

·
Registered
769 Posts
iodine is used as an intravenous contrast agent for vascular structures - veins/arteries...but can also be used for looking at vessels in the heart, lung, kidneys, and liver. If they're looking at vessels in the brain, likely they'll use it. Think of a CT as a bunch of x-ray slices - good for bone and contrast studies. MRI is better for looking at softer structures like organs, spinal cord, brain...

Hope that helps! I have done these for animals (which are under anesthesia) so I can't help with what it feels like however....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i had one lk 2 weeks ago, yeah that iodine or whatever feels sooo weird....i had a hot ass nurse shes lk you will feel a warming sensation going threw your body....and i was lk well what if i already do...she just laughed

anyway there not bad at all u wont be clostrophobic, but that stuff will make u feel warm for a couple minutes

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
what symptoms were u having? headaches, dizziness, did u fall?

if its like headtrauma or headaches the protocol is usually without contrast. which means without the injection so u can eat and u dont have to fast.

when its with contrast it allows them to see more inside the head/ brain. it can also look for tumors and help rule that out if the doctor feels u dont have that.

like sometimes when the diagnosis is headaches and their doing it with and without contrast then they are trying to see if everything is okay and it's not a possible tumor.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
oh ok lol

then that would be a different type of injection and u wouldnt have to fast if u had it anyway.

though now its out in the news that if ur over 60 and u have that injection for the MRI u need to have bloodwork within the last 30 days. because it has been known to cause kidney failure if ur blood levels are too high.

hope everything was ok with u tho.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow I feel responsible for your visit to the hospital since you had complaints about feeling dumber after reading my thread. Truly sorry, I hope everything works out OK for you. I could never forgive myself if somehow my thread was responsible for something bad happening to you...J/k :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
HONDACARE said:
Anyone here ever have their cat scanned? I have to go today at 3 and i had a few questions that i forgot to ask the doctor. How long does it usually take? they asked me if i am clostrophobic (sp?) and i really haven't been put in a situation to know. Is it that bad?
the cat is gettin a CAT scan??...lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts