8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I've had the CT-Engineering shorty header and the Random Tech High Flow Cat installed by a local shop for a while now. Now, for some reason, when I drive it, it rattles like crazy. It idles fine, but the moment I step on the gas the car starts to shake. I checked the header and cat and the is adequate clearance all around. It is really evident in gears 1-3, but by fourth gear it goes away. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S: I already reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes, reconnected the battery, then letting the car idle for another 15.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I also have a greddy extender for my exhaust. This is positioned where the CAT connects to the exhaust. Unfortunately, the back end of the extender is right up against the bottom of the car. It is actually rubbing against the bottom of my car... I think that is what is causing the rattling.

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,754 Posts
I actually just started getting a rattle/noise of some sort as of a week ago. Will put it on jack stands this weekend and see what I find.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I took it a shop with a lift so I could really get under it. Turns out, the high flow cat is for the FG2 (I have a FA5). The metal heat shield above the midpipe on the FG kinks sooner than the heat shield on the FA. Since I have the Greedy Extension piece on my exhaust, it was causing my exhaust to rub up against the underside of my car. The rattle was from my midpipe hitting the underneath. I took the RT cat out and put the stock one back in. No more rattle. On a side note, the RT cat will be going on the FS forum shortly. Kinda sad to let it go since when it was on, it made my civic sound beautiful. Need to get home from work and take pics.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I thought too. But if you compare the FG's midpipes to the FA's there is a difference. Starting from the part that connects to the cat, the first bend in the piping occurs later than on the FA's. It isn't that pipe is just 2 inches longer from the flange that connects to the catalytic converter on the sedan, the bend is slightly later too. It really isn't that noticeable and probably doesn't make that much of a difference, but when you use the Greddy Extender, it will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.