8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I'm not quite comprehending a few things. I have the OEM switches and plugs that pretty much went to the heating elements...will this OEM harness not work with aftermarket heating pads?

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
I forgot I had asked this question oh so so long ago lol But thank you for the response. So I'm not quite comprehending a few things. I have the OEM switches and plugs that pretty much went to the heating elements...will this OEM harness not work with aftermarket heating pads?
It sure will as long as your aftermarket heated seat kit has a Hi and Low settings. The Rostra kit mentioned (I purchased about 2 weeks ago) will work with the OEM switches, however, you have to have the schematics of the switch (already provided on this thread) and of the kit (not mentioned). My Rostra is still in the box it came, maybe there is mention of it. This is the next project for my civic, so I'll update this thread (I might just start my own thread) with pictures and pin-outs and whatnot.

Hope this answers your question

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow you're 2 for 2 so far helping me Ed! thanks again. Are you going to end up going with a leather re-upholstery?

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Wow you're 2 for 2 so far helping me Ed! thanks again. Are you going to end up going with a leather re-upholstery?
Yup, that's what I'm doing now, but at a snails pace. I have all the headrests done, next are rear side bolsters and lower seat. Pics to come!

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
LOL, don't git yer knickers in a bind.

It is recommended by Honda to NOT cover those sensors with a heating element.

There are several reasons why Honda chose NOT to include the passenger seat back heated element but the #1 reason, IMO, had to be liability.

Many people, including some auto upholsterers, forgo Honda's recommendation and install a heated seat element there anyways. I am one of those people. I have a PTFE (Teflon) sheet as a shield between the heating element and the seat back sensors.

In regards to cutting the heating elements, check to see what the manufacturer of your particular kit states is the minimum length.
Where did you get your telfon sheets? I've gone to A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, etc and the people there didn't know what I was talking about. I searched on Amazon and found some (https://www.amazon.com/1000-Use-3-Pack-Transfers-Resistant-Protects/dp/B01KN5J4YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473005079&sr=8-1&keywords=telfon+sheet ). Will that do?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Where did you get your telfon sheets? I've gone to A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, etc and the people there didn't know what I was talking about. I searched on Amazon and found some (https://www.amazon.com/1000-Use-3-Pack-Transfers-Resistant-Protects/dp/B01KN5J4YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473005079&sr=8-1&keywords=telfon+sheet ). Will that do?

Thanks
Yep, that'll one from Amazon will work. The price isn't bad either.

I'd be willing to bet your Hobby Lobby has them. Sometimes, we as consumers have to do the legwork so the employees can do their job. It's SKU 606202.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Yep, that'll one from Amazon will work. The price isn't bad either.

I'd be willing to bet your Hobby Lobby has them. Sometimes, we as consumers have to do the legwork so the employees can do their job. It's SKU 606202.
Thanks! Will order today. As far as employers, I dunno, maybe I'm getting old, but it seems they are less competent as time goes by. This goes for any field. Yes, nevermind, I'm going old and grumpy.........

LOL, happy Labor Day!

I'll post updates and pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yup, that's what I'm doing now, but at a snails pace. I have all the headrests done, next are rear side bolsters and lower seat. Pics to come!
Ed: Nice man Definitely post pics when your done. BTW if you know anyone needing the EX-L seat switches with the holder, let me know. I won't be doing this project so no need for the parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Sub harness ordered! So, really no use for the pin-outs previously mentioned, although it's GREAT info.

Does anyone have the pinout for the subharness?

As you can see, the harness joins the 2 OEM switches and joins them to be connected to (?????). I'm assuming we don't have the "other end" of this connector or an a harness that isn't being used.

I have a Haynes manual, I'll look there and post here if I find something. Any help would be cool!

EDIT: I went through the Haynes and all I found were schematics that illustrate the illumination of these switches. Meh.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Update: here is what I found. To be honest, doesn't tell anything. Any help would be appreciated.
The picture of the subharness you got, appears to go between the two switches in the console and the floor harness.

The floor harness in turn plugs into a connector at each seat, with four wires - red and black for +12v and ground, and grn/red and blu/yellow for high and low. These go to two relays that do the heavy switching and in turn feed power to the individual heating elements.

Do you have the cord/relay assemblies? They're:

81133-SNR-C01 CORD, R FRONT SEAT CUSHION HEATER
81533-SNR-C01 CORD, L FRONT SEAT CUSHION HEATER

Electrically, they're identical, they probably differ just in how they physically fit under the respective seats. The detail pictures of these aren't very clear, but I believe two relays plug straight into these, and there are individual plugs for the individual heaters to plug into.

The relays are:
39794-SDA-A03
39794-SNB-E01

One has four prongs, the other five, so it should be apparent from the harness which each one plugs in where. You of course need two of each.

Beyond that, it'd just be a matter of following the wiring colours in the figure you shared.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Thanks for the part numbers, but I was trying to figure out the pin outs of the end of the harness were, then solder their respective points to the ROSTRA heated seat elements. The kit comes with relays and I planned on using them. I just have to "connect" the OEM switches to the Rostra kit. I'm thinking of just bypassing the harness I got and use Honda pigtails (part number: 04320-SP0-V10) to do the connections.

Or I can do a continuity test to figure out the pins of the harness (don't have a voltmeter that does that), LOL.

So I have the pin-outs of the switches AND the Rostra kit, I just thought it would be easier to use the harness, but it just might be more work. (can't you tell I'm an electrical noobie?). I've had the front seat out for a while now and HAVE to get everything installed (even if I don't do the electrical connections........... I HATE working in the cold. ).

I'll post updates.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for the part numbers, but I was trying to figure out the pin outs of the end of the harness were, then solder their respective points to the ROSTRA heated seat elements. The kit comes with relays and I planned on using them. I just have to "connect" the OEM switches to the Rostra kit. I'm thinking of just bypassing the harness I got and use Honda pigtails (part number: 04320-SP0-V10) to do the connections.

Or I can do a continuity test to figure out the pins of the harness (don't have a voltmeter that does that), LOL.

So I have the pin-outs of the switches AND the Rostra kit, I just thought it would be easier to use the harness, but it just might be more work. (can't you tell I'm an electrical noobie?). I've had the front seat out for a while now and HAVE to get everything installed (even if I don't do the electrical connections........... I HATE working in the cold. ).

You have the harness right? Look at the wire colour going to each pin of the switches, and look for the same wire colour at the floor harness connector. That together with knowing the switch pinouts ought to already tell you everything you need to know about the harness.

Then compare against the wiring diagram. If you're lucky, it'll even agree with the harness. If it does, splice the gray and light blue in to some dash light - the gear shifter light is handy. The pin that has two light green wires (hopefully they both go to the pin instead of forking in the middle of the harness, if not you'll need a multimeter to identify it) would be 12v, the black wire ground, and the other four would be hi/lo for driver/passenger.

The only place I can imagine having trouble depends on how rostra switches their relay coils. Honda switches provide +12v to whichever relay is to be activated, and the other terminal of the relay coil is grounded. It's possible that rostra provides an always hot 12v to their relays and switches the ground instead. If that's the case, you'll either have to modify the rostra harness to change that, or maybe you can get away with the switch lighting not working quite right.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
We all know I suck at explaining things since I had my stroke so I'll keep this simple as possible....

Using the Fit sub harness keeps us from searching for the female switch connectors and added wiring to a minimum.

You MUST add a SPST relay to use the OEM switches properly with the Rostra kit.

Not using an additional SPST relay will cause 2 problems.

1) the elements won't heat as quickly as they should.

2) when Low is selected, both LEDs of the OEM switches will be lit.

Follow the factory seat heating schematics but only use the Rostra relay and the additional SPST relay for both seats.

Ed, because you have an automatic transmission, 2 of the wires needed for the switch LEDs at the shifter. These wires supply power and dimming of the switches back lighting when the lights are on. Those that are doing this with a manual transmission need to get these wires at the climate control, radio or other suitable place.

Get power for the Hi/Low LEDs at the heater control panel pin 23. Or, if you're super anal, run a new wire from the back side of the interior fuse block connector Q pin 16.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
We all know I suck at explaining things since I had my stroke so I'll keep this simple as possible....

Honesty, I've seen many posts you participate in and your explanations are very clear. Thanks for keeping it simple.....

Using the Fit sub harness keeps us from searching for the female switch connectors and added wiring to a minimum.

I understand. This is why I got it as well.

Did not know this. Interesting......

Follow the factory seat heating schematics but only use the Rostra relay and the additional SPST relay for both seats.

Ok, so for powering the seats, use the ROSTRA supplied relays (individual seats) and connect both of them to one SPST relay. This SPST relay will then be connected to the car's power. I'll be looking up how to properly do this.

Ed, because you have an automatic transmission, 2 of the wires needed for the switch LEDs at the shifter. These wires supply power and dimming of the switches back lighting when the lights are on. Those that are doing this with a manual transmission need to get these wires at the climate control, radio or other suitable place.

Get power for the Hi/Low LEDs at the heater control panel pin 23. Or, if you're super anal, run a new wire from the back side of the interior fuse block connector Q pin 16.

Heater Control panel? You mean the "soon to be installed CSX panel you sent me a while back?" LOL. I think about doing that mod EVERYDAY. Anyway, great to know, I'll do that and tap that wire to power the small LEDs in the factory switch. Thanks for the tip!
Zimmer, Luns, if you guys are ever in the Philadelphia area, let me know! I owe you guys dinner or something, LOL.

I'll post updates to the progress of this. I have family coming for the holidays so I need to finish up on my leather/HeatedSeat install ASAP. Even if it means not finishing up the electrical connections. Having that said, it is getting cold.................. I'm rambling on............ coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Thanks Zimmer!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

Honesty, I've seen many posts you participate in and your explanations are very clear. Thanks for keeping it simple.....

I understand. This is why I got it as well.

Did not know this. Interesting......

Ok, so for powering the seats, use the ROSTRA supplied relays (individual seats) and connect both of them to one SPST relay. This SPST relay will then be connected to the car's power. I'll be looking up how to properly do this.

Heater Control panel? You mean the "soon to be installed CSX panel you sent me a while back?" LOL. I think about doing that mod EVERYDAY. Anyway, great to know, I'll do that and tap that wire to power the small LEDs in the factory switch. Thanks for the tip!
Zimmer, Luns, if you guys are ever in the Philadelphia area, let me know! I owe you guys dinner or something, LOL.

I'll post updates to the progress of this. I have family coming for the holidays so I need to finish up on my leather/HeatedSeat install ASAP. Even if it means not finishing up the electrical connections. Having that said, it is getting cold.................. I'm rambling on............ coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Thanks Zimmer!
You need 1 Rostra relay and 1 SPST relay per seat.

Look at how the relays are wired in the schematic. This is what I've used for all the heated seats I've installed.

http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/00/SNB6E00J46170400000EAAT00.html

Heater control panel = manual ac/heat controls (what you have now)

When you install the ACC panel, pin 23 of heater control panel will become pin 3 of the ACC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bookmarked this for later. Who knew what a hassle these aftermarket heating units could be. I get so jealous every time I ride in a car w seat heaters tho. It's on my long to do list...

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Actually, it's less of a hassle if you just use what the aftermarket kit comes with. I'm trying to use factory switches which complicates everything, LOL.

Just so happens I'm diagramming everything I need to make this work in my car.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts