8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've all heard a lot of heresay about this amazing swap k24 block to k20(Z3) head. whats the truth about this swap? A TSX block will work and so will the crv block? ive heard.... how difficult, how much, is it a direct bolt in...no, but what about the wiring? what parts are better left in the k20 head, I hear the TSX cams are more aggressive??....i also hear that the oil pump will need to be modified to make it work??? when searching for a doner block what year is best??? can someone please enlighten us, lift the vale of assumption and get some clear answers, cause the way I see it, 2.4 with high compression pistons is a much safer way to put down power then turbo or super, last longer too.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
What are you trying to do? Put a k24 block in an SI? If so, I would suggest waiting for some tuning options. As for the high comp 2.4 being "safer," it all depends on the tune and with what's available now, seems like that would be the least reliable/safe way to go about things right now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Check out k20a.org....lots of info on there...

ephatch had some guys do this swap too i think...give that a try as well

hope that helps

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I'm by no means the most mechanicly inclined person on this site, but from what I understand there isn't a way to make it work with our car. Unless you want to get a RSX-S engine, and switch your Si over to a cable drive system, but then what would you do about tuning, ECU, and wiring?

·
Registered
330 Posts
it's totally do-able....one of the first articles i saw on the new si was in sport compact car i think

a habby pearl si with c/f hood and tinted headlights...i'm virtually positive it had a 2.4 in it...and on top of that it was supercharged...i dunno if the motor mounts are readily available for order from hasport...but it proved that it could be done...and I think it was converted to cable and had KPRO to boot....pretty sweet actually. More streetable power than just about anything else currently available

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
yeaa i kno the one ur talkin ab...shouldnt be hard IMO. id use the k20 head and intake mani. on it tho... im wanting to supercharge mine. then later on go k24/2.6 stroker :) lol

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
if u put a k24 block in the si it would be just like a normal k24 cuz the Si head is the same as the k24 head.

·
Registered
636 Posts
jsb03f said:
So we've all heard a lot of heresay about this amazing swap k24 block to k20(Z3) head. whats the truth about this swap? A TSX block will work and so will the crv block? ive heard.... how difficult, how much, is it a direct bolt in...no, but what about the wiring? what parts are better left in the k20 head, I hear the TSX cams are more aggressive??....i also hear that the oil pump will need to be modified to make it work??? when searching for a doner block what year is best??? can someone please enlighten us, lift the vale of assumption and get some clear answers, cause the way I see it, 2.4 with high compression pistons is a much safer way to put down power then turbo or super, last longer too.

It's difficult enough to have a shop do it for you if you need it done fast and right, basically if its your dd. Anyone with the right tools and enough time could do it.

As far as the directness of the bolting I am not sure if you use your stock tranny than prolly so, email hasport if you are serious they can fill you in about mounting. A lot of web gurus will tell you one thing or the other but I would go to the source if it were my project but do as you like.

Yes modded oil pump needed once again if it were my project I would contact john at hytech exhaust for the modified s2000 pump which you will need, a accord pump works to but the s2000 pump is better.

keep your stock head, please don't tell me you are planing on swapping the block only to run a stock head. The tsx and si heads are similar enough to be able to run each others cams so just get some blueprint engineering cams and the entire ib spec package of retainers springs ect.

any other questions?:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, not know. A guy named Hector in tampa has this swap in his car, but he wont tell anyone heads or tails about it..*******. He did wamp a 400hp datsun*(pardon spelling) with drags on the highway from a 40 role. I mean this ***** is BAMF!!! he even has the ex wheels on the car. But again he wont say **** other than I got a k24 inthe car.... so it can be done..he said $7000 SHOULD COVER IT!!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
k20beast said:
k20 head allows for better flow and higher revving :) but maybe im wrong
youre a 100% wrong. thats like saying the element has the same cylinder head as the Si. completely wrong. rather than doing a whole new block i would get a k24 crankshaft and have it razoredged with new pistons to put out more displacment. like a stroker kit.

·
Registered
958 Posts
so the best thing to do if your going to do the k24 swap, use the crv motor and the k20 head for the better air flow at higher rpms n then is you wanna turbo you would be putting down some serious numbers!!!!! lol dam

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ummm ... it’s a k series motor ... and our cars come with a k series motor, so...yeah. The k24 makes that extra torque because its stroke is 13mm longer the bore and piston size is the same 86mm as any other k engine so a k24 is no larger/heavier than a k20. This is why k24's don’t rev so high the longer the stroke the sharper the angle the rod has at the bottom of its stroke. This angle literally pushes on the sides of the cylinder this is called side load, longer the stroke means more side load. This is why the revs on
K24s are lower the slower the piston moves the less force is generated. The k24 has a 86mm bore and a 99mm stroke and a 6500 to 7100 rpm redline (depending on the particular engine) the k20 has a 86mm bore and a 86 mm stroke the is called a square design. The shorter stoke of the k20 is what allows for our 8k+ redline. Just to complete the circle the f20 and f22 engines from the S2000 have a shorter stroke than piston size, 87 mm bore and stroke is 84 mm this is what allows them to be revved to 9krpms.

Also look at the diffrence between regular k24 rods compared to the tsx's rods. This is what allows the tsx to be rev higher than the regular k24s.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts