8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here replace this when they change their oil?

From Honda:

What's a "crush washer" and why is it important to my Honda?

As a Honda owner, the crush washer you should be most concerned with is the one that must be replaced every time you change your motor oil. This crush washer fits between your oil pan and the drain plug. It is a one-time-use washer. Discard the old washer at each oil change and replace with a new one. If you have your oil changed at any service outlet other than a Honda dealer, remind them of the importance to use a new crush washer.

When a new washer is installed and the drain plug is tightened, this washer "crushes" to form a very tight seal, thereby preventing motor oil leaks without overstressing the oil pan threads.

Oil changers who are not aware of its importance may think it's OK to re-use this washer. Since it has already been crushed, it will not collapse further. As a result, the installer may overtighten the drain plug to get a tight fit. This can eventually lead to stripped threads in the oil pan -- a very expensive repair.

This is another example of why your Honda dealer is the easy choice for your service needs. Honda dealers know your Honda best.

·
Registered
322 Posts
all it is a washer that is between the pain and drain plug. Its all BS you dont need to change this everytime you do oil change, another way of the dealership raping your wallet.

Its all to scare you. Kinda like fox news.

·
Registered
158 Posts
all it is a washer that is between the pain and drain plug. Its all BS you dont need to change this everytime you do oil change, another way of the dealership raping your wallet.

Its all to scare you. Kinda like fox news.
Ummm.....The dealership gives them to me....as in FREE. It's not just a washer, it's a CRUSH washer, hence the name. And yes, replace it every time you change your oil. Why not? Even if they do charge you, a whole bag of like 25 of them is only a few bucks.

...Unless of course, you're too cheap. Then maybe you ought to reconsider driving a car that requires 93 octane gas...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I dont doubt the washers are free or cheap. The manual states that you would have to bring to to the dealership to change the oil.

IMO the washers are not worth changing all the time, I've changed oil so many times in old type-S and not once changed the washer. Never leaked on the driveway.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I dont doubt the washers are free or cheap. The manual states that you would have to bring to to the dealership to change the oil.

IMO the washers are not worth changing all the time, I've changed oil so many times in old type-S and not once changed the washer. Never leaked on the driveway.
What does that have to do with anything? I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. I don't let the dealership change my oil, I just go and ask for crush washers, and they give them to me.

I get my washers for free. So do several of my friends. So how can they not be worth changing? They don't cost anything! They don't even cost time, really, other than stopping by the dealership once or twice to get a handful of the things.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I always use a new one when I change my oil. Just go to HONDA and pick up like 20 of them for a couple bucks. I did this like 2 years ago and i'm down to my last 4. It's just peice of mind. Don't be cheap and deny this tiny little object from your oil change. Unless you're a brokeass Mo Fo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is funny.

I frequent a Honda GL1800 forum and they are always going back and fourth about changing the crush washer. People who don't swear they've never had a problem after re-using it many times so it may be a bunch of crap.

But I change mine just because they only cost a few penny's so why not.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've only changed mine once since the courtesy oil change as Factory probably overtighten it anyways. Been using the same one for the last 2 years. No drip or leaks. I think the trick is to evaluate the washer and tighten only until it is snug (or torque it). The aluminum washer will expand when heat is applied to it.

·
Premium Member
101,191 Posts
go to the dealer and buy like a dozen of them. Then you'll have them when you need. i think they were like $0.14 or something. Not a huge deal. Keeps the seal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get a fumuto valve if you don't want to buy crush washers.

Sometimes you can find crush washers on 02 sensors too.. dealerships raping you .14cents a time.... lol

·
Administrator
71,988 Posts
they are like 50-60 cents at the dealerships......the guy at my local one gives me a couple for free every time i ask.

you don't need to use a new one each time. as long as you torque the bolt to the right spec you are good. might be a good idea to change it every other one just to be safe. but i have reused them more than once.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I might have a valve cover leak. I've been wiping oil residue from the frame of my car here and there after I've driven the car and can't understand where it's comming from cause I can't see it from the oil filter or drain plug. I searched on the 8th for oil leaks and got alot of "it might be the valve cover" threads and posts. So I reached to the back of my valve covers corner and felt some oil back there that was still wet. It's not alot from there but I think that I found out why my car is leaking or dripping oil when i've done 4 oil changes on it and this 4th oil change was no different. I didn't do anything different. I know it's not my work. It had to be something else. I'ma keep an eye on it. My oil level is still the same thats the thing, it's weird. I don't ever leave a puddle in my garage or anywhere. I don't know, maybe it's just some residual oil I accidentally spilled when I did this 4th recent oil change. It's not dripping badly. I'm kinda bummed. This seems to be kinda common with the Si's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts