8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
Is it me but did Porsche not state the differences between their Crossdrilled over blanks?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
its a good read, but i have to wonder why Mercedes Benz S class sedans on the early 1990s sometimes came with cross drilled rotors when their wheels look like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Mercedes-Benz_S-Class_W140.jpg
i mean, if its just for looks. there has to be something else, right?
Old post, but I'll answer with what Porsche used to have on their website about their drilled rotors, which is that they help wet braking by allowing water/water vapor a place to go besides out between the pad and rotor when the calipers clamp.

·
Registered
207 Posts
yeah cross drilled rotors are stupid. The OP doesn't seem to understand what radiative heat transfer is though. picky I know....it bothers me when people throw around terms they don't understand

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am sorry for bringing this article back from the dead but it really helped me decide the brakes for my car. I think it is an excellent read and would help everyone is making a decision before they buy there new set of brakes.

I nominate sticky for a great read

·
Registered
963 Posts
This article and your cliff notes are incorrect sir. Cross-Drilled and slotted do provide a performance benefit.

A slotted rotor lets a brake pad vent. I can get my pads to vent. Without that in a high speed braking lets say 100-0 your pad is going to vent. Without a way for it to escape its going to put space between your pad and rotor and well....its a scary situation!! Used to happen in my Prelude, I drove it til 2008 and was using current technology pads. Until we went with the slotted rotor the braking system was too scary to attempt high speed braking.

A slotted rotor also cleans and bites into the pad. Also good for performance. The only downfall of a slotted rotor is it will wear a pad more. Other than that its the solution to go for. Cross drilled is just more liable to crack and yes its good in the wet.

StopTech provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications slotted is the preferred choice. Slotting helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the "bite" characteristics of the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage. Many customers prefer the look of a drilled rotor and for street and occasional light duty track use they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors.
You then go and say its still bad? I dont think you have any idea what a slotted rotor will do and your article starts off with a cliff note that no one needs it. Thats absolutely wrong!

Also hfp rotors are slotted. This is Honda designing a rotor for performance aspects of our cars.......

I also have tested both and I 100% think slotted are the preferred choice for performance. This article seems like the garbage I saw posted on HT. If you drive hard, slotted is not just the option its a must otherwise your posing a danger. If you never think youll brake hard from even 60-0. Then perhaps. I on the other hand no matter what like staying safe and have a slotted rotor, this also gives you more initial bite. When its time to replace my rotors im going slotted. No reason not to...you cant find one reason not to other than more pad wear and even then its probably minimal.

Check out this article.

HondaMIX Honda Acura Discussion Forum Social Network - What rotor is the best | Cross Drilled Vs Slotted Rotors

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran blanks on mine when I'm on the track and daily. I'm not really concern about overheating, not like I'm gonna do 10+ lap non-stop or on sorta competition.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Very informative! So blanks or slotted...............my car is a DD and my track/quarter mile racing is minimal to none. I'm thinking my best bet might just be blanks with better pads, fluid and ss brake lines but that better bite with slotted is needed at times as well...

21 - 40 of 76 Posts