8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the story:
I work for GE, and they have a parking garage, where all the employees are allowed to park. So, I'm leaving around 5pm, get into my car and slowly back out of the spot. I figured since there was no car to the right of me, I could turn the wheel all the way to the left instead of moving straight back. The problem with that was the knee high stone pillar stone pillar waiting for my back bumper. That scraping sound, is one thats going to haunt me for the rest of my life :xyxnervou

Normally when I backup I look over my shoulder out the back window, so from this view, there was no way I could see that pillar. Even from my side mirror you barely see the top of it. But I still blame myself for not paying more attention to my surroundings.

Heres some pics:
*sorry for the quality. I took them this morning with my camera phone, and the sun was coming up and shining on the back bumper.*

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Oh man! I've done that before where I backed into a parking spot and didnt realize there was a thigh high concrete cylinder holding up a lamppost. Did the exact same thing in my Stang and scraped it a tiny bit. Worst sound ever! Sorry to hear and hope you can get it fixed!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Depending on what they do, I'd say a few hundred. I'd assume they will wet sand it, but that one area might be a little much. Hopefully they won't have to repaint or anything. Not too much experience with it, but when my Stang got keyed pretty deeply, my dad's friend wetsanded back to new looking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
LOL I did the same with my 02' civic EX. Hit a brick wall about knee high while backing up. Nearly took off my rear bumper! I didn't think anyone else could be as dumb as me at the time until i found out that 5-6 other people have also backed up onto the same brick wall.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Let me start off by saying I used to write estimates- Most shops write there estimate off one of two estimating systems- Mitchell or CCC. Both will write an estimated based off your Vin#

ballpark figures here:

remove and reinstall bumper 1.5 hours
repair bumper 2.0 hours
refinish bumper 2.5 hours
add for clear coat 1.0 hours

7.0 hours times $45 an hour=$315

plus materials

paint materials 3.5 hours times $26=$91

$406 grand total-you may find some places that will "spot" in the paint(for a cheaper price)- but if you want the job to last you need a partial refinish with a full clear coat! and you may need a full refinish depending on how much filler is used.........

go get some estmates at a good shop- i bet i am preety close

good luck
matt

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
That is not even that bad.

·
Registered
518 Posts
nice!!! my bro did that too and it was 2 x worse.
i would fix it becasue im anal about how the car looks but if all you care about is driving you dont have to!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Body Shop...i did the same thing......just get it done and over with it....it'll look good again and you'll fell good again.....approx $500 = 100$/month for 5 months......or $50 for 10 months........hehe......anyways you want to look at it

·
Registered
65 Posts
That sounds cheap??? I have two different scratches that the Paint shop want's to charge me $500 for one and $700 for the another one. $1200 for both....:SHOCKED:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts