8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering column creaks when I make slow turns. Honda said it was a cable reel and the covers...I dunno..they said they replaced the cable reel, but the sound came back. I'm out of ideas:xyxnervou

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine did the same thing, kinda a low creaking noise when I'd take a slow turn. They told me the same thing, something with the cable reel assembly was bad. I got it fixed about a month ago and haven't heard it since.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave said:
Mine did the same thing, kinda a low creaking noise when I'd take a slow turn. They told me the same thing, something with the cable reel assembly was bad. I got it fixed about a month ago and haven't heard it since.
they replaced mine too. It fixed the problem, but now it's getting worse...so I'm not sure if they actually did the work. Going on the 8th to get it checked out again.

av911 said:
Does it sound like a frog croaking??? I know mine does. (41,xxx+ miles)
It's more like a creaky door sound than anything else.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
WD-40.

Never had that problem. :T

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Like I said, I never had that problem, so I wouldn't need it :p.

Why don't any of you people listen to the radio or something?
Or is the creaking too loud.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
drnknbndr said:
Like I said, I never had that problem, so I wouldn't need it :p.

Why don't any of you people listen to the radio or something?
Or is the creaking too loud.
We're probably concerned about the saftey of the car, rather than the annoyance of it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's pretty loud too, when my stereo is set to 14, which is as loud as I want it when I'm trying to drive you can still hear it over the music...

and AV911 is right, the sound its getting worse...and I'm not sure what the cable reel does, but if it affects the safety I'm gonna get it checked out

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Mine too its when you back out right or left? i dont know where its coming from either.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
This is unacceptable...looks like ill have to take it in to dealer ill check later to see if it is indeed coming from the steering column or the front steering column/rack. Mine makes a similar noise but its coming from the front end area i think.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
....so what in God's name does the SRS cable reel even do? Because mine is probably past failing since the steering creaks in both directions with any rate of turn now. so it's getting worrisome. I'm getting it taken care of on the 8th...hopefully my 8th Gen with last another week...:xyxnervou

·
Registered
100 Posts
HondaFREAK said:
....so what in God's name does the SRS cable reel even do? Because mine is probably past failing since the steering creaks in both directions with any rate of turn now. so it's getting worrisome. I'm getting it taken care of on the 8th...hopefully my 8th Gen with last another week...:xyxnervou

i'm taking mine in tomorrow and going to ask them to take a look at this also

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7147&d=1184782916

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had the same issue 3 months ago. I got it fixed. They replaced the steering rack. Kept my car for 2 weeks because it was on backorder?? Oh well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Alright...I've been having this exact same problem so I took it in to the dealer yesterday. They call me today and tell me it's my front right strut. I have Tein s-tech's on it, but the ride doesn't feel like the strut is blown. I just didn't think the strut would be the source of the problem. When I took it in I told them I thought it was the steering rack but they never really said anything about it. They've ordered a new strut and it's covered by warranty, but I'm not sure if it's going to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
strut? wow...mine was a faulty SRS Cable Reel in the steering column. Had it break like twice...so they used a different manufacturer so now everything is gravy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It sounds like I'm having the same problem you did so I guess we'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow if its fixed. If not, I'll try to explain to them again what I think it is, and if they don't listen, I'll just take it to another dealer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts