8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my civic in 06 at around May. About 5 months later someone hit me head on at around 45 - 50 @ the front driver side. (Was at a stop sign) Repairs were in the upper 10ks. The second time around someone took a turn without looking around and I hit them on the same spot on my car going 30ish. Repairs were in the 7k range; however the tech told me that the frame was damaged but repairable. Could not get a total; he told me it was harder to get a total on newer cars. Both times the driver side airbags deployed. (apparently they are expensive and time consuming to obtain)

I had just finished paying for the car by the second accident. I'm currently looking at 08 models but they all look the same. If I do switch, I'm switching over to manual instead of auto; and been salivating... I mean looking at the SI Sedan model. I know I'm going to take a depreciation hit and an accident hit. I'm worried about cost and reliability (value & save my hide ability).

I have a decent job but am hoping to get into graduate school next year. I've been saving but don't have much due to me paying off my car. I do have a budget and can save around 10k by the time school comes around for next year. I feel that my car's compromised but...

At a loss and would like advice. ^^;

Too much coffee at Halloween party and not enough alcohol.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
it doesnt matter what you do with your car. if you sell it privately you might be able to get more money than a trade in, but either will be signifigantly reduced due to the accidents. if your car is drivable and repaired corectly it should drive good and no need to get a new car. since no matter what you do you will loose money, you mind as well just use it for a while.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you are paranoid about being hit and the frame not holding out. Get a new car.

You will lose money getting a new car. Also, as Nighhawk said with that level of damage the resell value has declined.

How much value will decline if you hold on to the car for another year or two?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
It's paid off! If it was repaired, you have absolutely no worries about it's strength. These cars are designed to crumble and be repaired like brand new. Keep the car for a little bit and see what the next generation Civics look like and in the meantime, enjoy the paid off car.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
radiocontrolhead said:
It's paid off! If it was repaired, you have absolutely no worries about it's strength. These cars are designed to crumble and be repaired like brand new. Keep the car for a little bit and see what the next generation Civics look like and in the meantime, enjoy the paid off car.

true

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you're anything like me, once its damaged its not new any longer. Its a 1 year old car, almost 2. To me that's still new but like I said, once its been damaged like that I wouldn't want it back. Fender benders, dings and dent is not a problem but 10K and 7k of repairs would be for me.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
radiocontrolhead said:

exactly what he said..I agree 100%

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Lol, I'm surprised you guys didn't ask anything about my hydrolock :)

how much can I expect to lose due to the 2 accidents?
Like %%??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Having been to grad school, I don't recommend a new car while you're still in school. Money will be tight, even with a stipend and TA/RA job (as I had). I'd just keep your current car or sell it and buy a good, used car. By the time you graduate and get that big salary, there'll be even better cars available.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
LOL i had 11k in damage to mine and my suspension is acting up i need to take it back to fix this BS !

A 18 wheeler owned me and i was found at 0 Fault.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Seemund said:

Like %%??
I did, just in another thread.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Seemund said:

Like %%??

Man if i looked at your CarFax and saw two major accidents - I wouldn't even consider it. Just hope the buyer doesn't do their homework.

Do you have to disclose if the car has been in an accident?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts