8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
What ballast? Their slim or the Xtreme? If it's the slim, you shouldn't have any problem putting it directly underneath the headlight housing.

If it's the Xtreme ballast, think about putting in on the support for the bumper, or underneath the flat part, where the bottom screw for the headlight is. You'll probably have to zip tie it down there though.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Did you take your bumper off or are you trying to install the ballast through the wheel? Honestly its so much easier if you just take your bumper off - takes like 20-30mins at most and then you can install the ballasts with ease in convenient spots, run your wiring and then slap the bumper back on and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What ballast? Their slim or the Xtreme? If it's the slim, you shouldn't have any problem putting it directly underneath the headlight housing.

If it's the Xtreme ballast, think about putting in on the support for the bumper, or underneath the flat part, where the bottom screw for the headlight is. You'll probably have to zip tie it down there though.
Xtreme. I am trying not to zip tie but looks like i will have to.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you take your bumper off or are you trying to install the ballast through the wheel? Honestly its so much easier if you just take your bumper off - takes like 20-30mins at most and then you can install the ballasts with ease in convenient spots, run your wiring and then slap the bumper back on and call it a day.
Bumpers still on. Might take it off.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
read orient express's sticky up top... he gives good locations to mount ballasts

i dont think the relay is necessary, its a well debated topic... no definitive answer... but i didnt use one and ive no problems yet

i would recommend not ziptieing your ballast... it needs a good electrical grounding with a nut and bolt

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
read orient express's sticky up top... he gives good locations to mount ballasts

i dont think the relay is necessary, its a well debated topic... no definitive answer... but i didnt use one and ive no problems yet

i would recommend not ziptieing your ballast... it needs a good electrical grounding with a nut and bolt
As far as relay I could not find anyone that had problems. I used a sheet metal screw to secure my ballasts. Still looking on a spot for the passenger side. The pic that orient posted has a bracket in the pic. My si does not have it. :iorun: I am thinking of installing it up top in the engine bay and routing wires down below. Would heat be an issue?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I don't know for sure but i've heard that putting your ballast in the engine bay is a nono. If anything, the heat from the engine has a chance to damage your ballast.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know for sure but i've heard that putting your ballast in the engine bay is a nono. If anything, the heat from the engine has a chance to damage your ballast.
Well it is there for now until i get my retros next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts