8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 ex coupe. Starts only using starter fluid for 4-5 seconds then it stalls. Today I had the injectors tested. All of them work fine when cranking. Now I don't understand. I though I wouldn't have fuel pression since the car starts with starter fluid only. No check engine light, no codes. Any help will welcome. Thank you all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you MisterBek. I'm not sure. The imjectors' firing sequence was ok, they would spray strong. I had them dismantled today 'cause I had the same question. I do have a fuel pressure tester but I don't have the special connector to use it and unfortunately our civics don't have a Schrader valve. May be you or someone else can give me a tip about connecting the pressure tester please.
But why the car starts only with starter fluid if the injectors work ok. What is it that is missing?
And then what is that weird noise on the video coming from under dash. Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
You've got a relay dithering (turning on and off quickly) what is your battery voltage? If it's strong you'll have to do some other work. Low battery could be your root culprit even without that relay, the engine won't send fuel (spark? Pretty sure it's fuel) until your oil pressure gets high enough, which is dependent on the rpm your starter can spin everything

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Battery is 1.5 year old and I do make sure it's fully charged every time before working on the car. Fuel pump relay (the blue one under dash)is brand new. Starter and spark plugs are one year old. May be its another relay I haven't checked yet?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe, if you (or a friend) hold a finger on it you should be able to feel that particular relay kick more than the others

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Unfortunately all three relays kick even, no difference. Today I had my 4 ignition coils tested. They spark ok.
Can the camshaft position sensor prevent the car to start?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh ok. Its 12.8 V without cranking. Tomorrow morning will be checking my voltage while cranking. Thanks
Screenshot_2020-03-12-20-17-19.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
This may seem a strange suggestion but do your back-up lights work?
My 2012 Honda Accord Euro (K24) has the back-up light fuse also connected to the staring circuit and when the fuse is burnt, these is no starting, just cranking. Error code is for Failure of communication between ECU and instrument cluster. Quite a surprising feature and not documented, as far as I know..

·
Registered
9 Posts
2008 ex coupe. Starts only using starter fluid for 4-5 seconds then it stalls. Today I had the injectors tested. All of them work fine when cranking. Now I don't understand. I though I wouldn't have fuel pression since the car starts with starter fluid only. No check engine light, no codes. Any help will welcome. Thank you all.
I can't guarantee this is Your issue but I had a Acura Vigor GS that when it acted as You describe the main relay was bad, the main relay under the dash primes the fuel pump when starting so if You don't hear the pump priming for a few seconds when You turn the key it's the main relay that's bad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you aquasurf
Thank you 94Vig06Civ
Thank you Mister Bek
I have checked all my underhood and under dash fuse and relays. They all work ok.
My backup lights work ok too. And I do hear the fuel pump priming for a few seconds.
😕😞

·
Registered
9 Posts
My next guess would be to push and hold the brake pedal and if You Don't see brake lights the car is Not Allowing You to start it as there is an issue with the Brake Lights. I had an issue 1 day that turned out to be a believe it or not "loose" Mounting Nut on the Brake Switch up under the dash where the pedal rests on it ...You know the thin nut.. I said believe it or not because I reached up and checked it when My car wouldn't start knowing that anything to do with the Brake Lamps will keep it from starting and I Had Already checked all fuses both under dash and under hood and they were all good.. and the Brake Switch looked fine until I was able to turn it by hand,,,,turned when I tested it's tightness... apparently the Brake Switch acts as a Ground in the brake circuit ..loose nut loss of ground

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get hold of an OBDII scanner (or buy the cheapest one) and check for any stored engine error codes. I understand you have no MIL (check engine light) but there may still be an error code/s stored in the ECU memory.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Drain tank and put fresh fuel in it. If you have a squirt bottle you can hold open throttle blade and squirt in some gas. If it runs for a few seconds then likely fuel pressure. The pumps are notorious for burning the wires back at the tank if it’s dragging. I had to replace my pump after that occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello everybody and thanks for your replying to my SOS. I was you of town so I was not able to follow your suggestions.
My stop lights work just fine and I don't have any loose nut on the brake pedal. I think I don't have any issue with my brakes.
Since the car did started first time I used starting fluid tomorrow I will be checking fuel pressure (fuel pump). Thanks everybody.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts