8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I've been troubleshooting smelly white exhaust and am afraid I may have a blown head gasket. When I inspected the engine I see a few things and wonder if they can in any way be related.

The engine mount rubber thing is cracked and I think I read that these are oil-filled. You see I have some oily residue on the passenger side of the engine block but then I also see the power steering fluid seems to be leaking.

Does this oil leak indicate a possible blown head gasket? My coolant reservoir was almost empty and I had just filled it at the last oil change 4-5 months ago. The exhaust is very smelly, but I can't really tell if it's fuel smell or coolant smell. My oil cap had a bit of the milky color, but I'm not so sure it's a strong clue.

2007 Honda Civic LX, 250k miles... engine replaced for the warranted cracked engine block issue 100k ago. Both upper and lower, so I think I would have gotten a new head gasket at that time... anyway, it's still 100k miles on this build.

thanks for any advice... my next step was to get the exhaust gas tester with the blue => yellow fluid to see if I have a leak. If so, would anyway recommend any of the sealers or should I replace the gasket? I can't afford (nor would afford) 1k+ for a repair, but I think I could pull it off.. replacing the coils on a 2005 Mazda MPV was about the same workload, and I was able to do that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't think the oil from the mount would cause the exhaust smoke to turn white but it could be. I would go ahead and compression test all 4 cylinders to see what results you would get from that. if the results come out fine then I would probably chase the oil leaks if it has any severe one.

If the head gasket turns out to be good and you were able to solve the issue, the motor mount will still need to be replaced either way due to the huge crack on the rubber plus from the mount being very close to the stop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts