8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be interesting to see where the block crack issue shakes out in the next couple of years. I have an '07 EX Coupe with 18K miles, so will be under warranty for another 3 years approximately.....I wonder if Honda will have some kind of plan of action or formula to deal with this. I'm just hoping that once my warranty expires, I won't have to worry about this issue because Honda will step up to the plate and be proactive.......

Wishful thinking, right? HA!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
uh, when you crack your block under warranty they should be willing to fix it unless the computer says you beat the hell out of your car.

and blocsk dont crack unless you beat the hell out of your motor, esp in 18k miles

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
If it is due to some part of the engine failing than due to a manufacturer defect than it should be covered under warranty. If you don't put coolant in the car and your block cracks than you will probably be SOL.

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
I had a block crack in my old honda accord with a JDM H22A swap. The reason why it cracked was because the cooling fan was grounding out somewhere and the fan fuse kept popping. I didn't catch it in time and the car overheated really bad on a road trip. I ended up getting a huge crack in the back of the block.

·
Registered
159 Posts
man... thats one of the most expensive components to manufature.. and OE's dont cut corners in casting a investment cast block..

one of two think happened: 1) air was trapped in the virgin aluminum and when cast wasnt shaken enough to expell it.. when it heated, the air expanded and forced a hole... likely. 2) you simply overheated the hell out of your motor (whether you knew it or not) and we all know what happens then. Either way, the captured data on the PCM will dictate whether you get a new bullet or not.

good luck, that does blow.

·
Registered
665 Posts
cracked blocks..? lol.. its a honda. their powerplants are extremely robust. if you keep up on your maintenance that will never happen.

to crack a block you either have to be burning or losing oil, drop an oil filter or plug, run it while its overheating, or something along those lines. i cracked a block on my old D16Z motor in my old crx.. and consequently, that motor was heavily modified(and probably not tuned very well. i was young, dumb, and too trusting of the people who tuned it), burned crazy amounts of oil, and i suspect i was getting some blowby. i shouldve taken hints at all the white smoke that was puffin out of my tail pipe.. but hey.. you live and learn i guess :eek: the B16A1 motor i stuffed in it later never had those problems and it was just as heavily modded :smile:

so yeah, bottom line, take care of it and this is the last of your worries

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.