8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I'm looking into piecing together a kit around the Garrett GT2554R turbo and had a couple quick questions for those who are more savvy with Turbo setups in this fashion.

I was wondering why most of the setups here are externally wasted on the intake pipe instead of using the internal wastegate on the actual turbo that pulls from the header. It seems like this could have a pretty big effect on airflow (less disruption in airflow the better). Was this just an option because it looks cool or because most of the kits out there just have one, or is it necessary in the application? It seems like a couple hundred dollars could be cut if I could use the internal wastegate.

The second question. I live in CA and am not looking to eliminate the catalytic converter on the car with this setup, I would like to fully loop in the turbo where the head outlet is, however with the setup of the Cat in current R18s and the setup of the turbo it seems like it would be difficult to get the outlet from the turbo to the cat without dropping the cat way down or having the turbo near the top of the car. Has anyone had luck with this or know of an adapter that would allow me to mount the turbo and the cat safely?

You guys help on this is really appreciated.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Most people with turbo setup's do not have a waste gate on their intake pipe, in fact no one does. The thing on the intercooler piping is your Blow Off Valve. There is a huge difference with internal waste gate and external waste gates. One being you can make way more power with an external waste gate vs internal. We all don't mind helping out, but you have 7 posts and probably haven't done any research. There is a Turbo R18 thread with info in there. I don't know much about how stuff fits on an R18, sorry.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most people with turbo setup's do not have a waste gate on their intake pipe, in fact no one does. The thing on the intercooler piping is your Blow Off Valve. There is a huge difference with internal waste gate and external waste gates. One being you can make way more power with an external waste gate vs internal. We all don't mind helping out, but you have 7 posts and probably haven't done any research. There is a Turbo R18 thread with info in there. I don't know much about how stuff fits on an R18, sorry.
I apologize if my thread post count on a forum assumes that I haven't done any research. I also understand the blow-off valve and how they work thanks for clearing that one up.

I've done a lot of research into turbo systems and how they can be applied and used and improved upon which is why I don't want to go with a crappy TSI kit or anything like that.

I would like to piece together a good kit with a garrett intercooler and the smaller turbo.

I've actually seen a good setup with the blowoff valve actually used on the intake piping (instead of on the silicone hose /facepalm).

I'm not a silly 16 year old pretending to be a boost head or anything like that, which is why I'm going with a smaller more economical (hah!) turbo, which should spool up faster and give me gains a bit earlier. I don't need 300+ HP in an R18. :p

I'm even looking into trying for a synchronous turbo setup using an even smaller turbo to help spool the larger turbo, which I believe would require a larger external wastegate on the smaller turbo. This should help to completely alleviate turbo lag.

Or like you said I could have not researched anything properly and am just talking out of my ass. But rest assured that I am trying.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

I haven't seen a BOV on a silicone hose ever or intake pipe seeing as the intake pipe doesn't see boost. (maybe you meant intake manifold?)

The BOV has to be somewhere between the turbo compressor housing and intercooler (or on intercooler), or intercooler to intake manifold.

You really shouldn't have turbo lag on a small turbo like a gt25, and using an even smaller turbo to spool up a gt25 is nonsense.

I agree the TSI kit isn't the best, you should wait for the HBAR kit to be released. There is a thread on it from 08whitecivic and it looks like a promising kit.

Your post count just means you are new, I based my assumption about you not doing research off your first post.

Talking out of your ass would be a superhuman ability. We all have to start somewhere, I'm not trying to be hard on you, but there is a ton and ton of research you can do. I don't claim I am an expert on turbos either, I learn something new everday.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I haven't seen a BOV on a silicone hose ever or intake pipe seeing as the intake pipe doesn't see boost. (maybe you meant intake manifold?)

The BOV has to be somewhere between the turbo compressor housing and intercooler (or on intercooler), or intercooler to intake manifold.

You really shouldn't have turbo lag on a small turbo like a gt25, and using an even smaller turbo to spool up a gt25 is nonsense.

I agree the TSI kit isn't the best, you should wait for the HBAR kit to be released. There is a thread on it from 08whitecivic and it looks like a promising kit.

Your post count just means you are new, I based my assumption about you not doing research off your first post.

Talking out of your ass would be a superhuman ability. We all have to start somewhere, I'm not trying to be hard on you, but there is a ton and ton of research you can do. I don't claim I am an expert on turbos either, I learn something new everday.
It's quite alright, I don't want to be one of those guys that frustrates everyone with the same question that's been posed 200 times.

The main concern with the setup I am trying to run is trying to keep the stock CAT intact, which is going to be very difficult given how restrictive it is, and may require some type of custom back to back bypass from the actual head outlet to the turbo, back up to the custom head piece and into the CAT (almost like a very squished "U" shape). I've searched the forums quite extensively and no one seems to have a solution for this currently.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts

TSI uses a rubber t coupler for there bov FTL! Dude your first had several uneducated comments that would lead one of us to assume you have done next to zero researching.

fathom is absolutely right, unless you are fairly knowledgable with turbos and the platform your going to boost a custom kit might be a bit over your head. now if someone were to give you a complete parts list on a excellent setup then by all means. that new hbar kit looks like its going to be a solid kit.

there is abolutely no need to TT a R18 with a gt25. :facepalm: there is no lag with that turbo. turbo systems don't have headers either. :facepalm:

do yourself a favor and research, go online, read all the stickies. most on here is geared toward the Si but overall most of it is the same principle.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TSI uses a rubber t coupler for there bov FTL! Dude your first had several uneducated comments that would lead one of us to assume you have done next to zero researching.

fathom is absolutely right, unless you are fairly knowledgable with turbos and the platform your going to boost a custom kit might be a bit over your head. now if someone were to give you a complete parts list on a excellent setup then by all means. that new hbar kit looks like its going to be a solid kit.

there is abolutely no need to TT a R18 with a gt25. :facepalm: there is no lag with that turbo. turbo systems don't have headers either. :facepalm:

do yourself a favor and research, go online, read all the stickies. most on here is geared toward the Si but overall most of it is the same principle.
I wasn't talking about the turbo system having a header...at all...but the turbo application needs the exhaust from the header that's built into the R18 block already (since we don't actually have after market headers in the same sense that an SI does) to spool the turbo and compress the air before expelling the exhaust again into the CAT (hopefully). I think maybe you're assuming too much from the earlier post.

But basically R18s exhaust header is build into the block and comes together in this nice little oval shape with a 6 bolt setup on the block. That little oval is where all of the exhaust comes from. I need to intercept that exhaust to spool the turbo, then expel it back out the exhaust port on the turbo to the CAT.

I was researching the TSI kit before they went to the GT25, and folks were saying they had pretty terrible turbo lag, I suppose since they upgraded from the old Journal Bearing turbo to the Ball Bearing it's been fixed?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ball Bearing turbos spool a lot faster, that could have been the issue. Yea R18's are weird, not the normal headers like we have. I think what he is saying is that a turbo manifold bolts to the internal header of the R18 or something like that... not sure. Wrong car to go boos on imo, no offense KT.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Wow that is so horrible... who would even run a kit with a rubber coupler for the bov lol...
you look at it wrong and the damn thing will tear plus it leaked like crazy too. Thats just one thing of many thats wrong with that kit, hence why i'm always bashing that company. my 6 year old nephew can make a better kit then what they thtow together.

noob-i am well aware how the exhaust is setup on the r18. Its still called a turbo manifold, ok. the exhaust exits the head goes through the built in header then into the turbo manifold into the inlet on the turbine housing. then it exits the the outlet of the turbine housing into a downpipe(i know r18's like to call their na exhaust manifolds downpipes and headers and all kinds of bull jive)everywhere in the world its a downpipe from the turbo outlet to the cat.

I know your trying to save a buck by doing it yourself but save your money and do it right and get the hbar kit. your not ready to dabble with doing a full custom turbo kit on this engine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you look at it wrong and the damn thing will tear plus it leaked like crazy too. Thats just one thing of many thats wrong with that kit, hence why i'm always bashing that company. my 6 year old nephew can make a better kit then what they thtow together.

noob-i am well aware how the exhaust is setup on the r18. Its still called a turbo manifold, ok. the exhaust exits the head goes through the built in header then into the turbo manifold into the inlet on the turbine housing. then it exits the the outlet of the turbine housing into a downpipe(i know r18's like to call their na exhaust manifolds downpipes and headers and all kinds of bull jive)everywhere in the world its a downpipe from the turbo outlet to the cat.

I know your trying to save a buck by doing it yourself but save your money and do it right and get the hbar kit. your not ready to dabble with doing a full custom turbo kit on this engine.
Fact of the matter is that the HBAR kit isn't going to help me at all with the application and goal I am trying to achieve which is not eliminating the stock CAT.

So you simply restated what I was saying about the turbo, but used the actual terms for the specific turbo's parts in a long winded explanation, congrats, if I was concerned with this I would have gone into more detail on the specific turbo. However, since its not the details of the actual turbo in the question I am trying to pose it's irrelevant to spend time explaining all of them and what they do.

My question is simply, does someone have a solution for intercepting the exhaust from the head and delivering back into the CAT? If not, that's fine, I can get a custom pipe made and grab a few flanges to do so, but before I go to all the trouble I figured I would ask and see if there is already a solution for this.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
My question is simply, does someone have a solution for intercepting the exhaust from the head and delivering back into the CAT? If not, that's fine, I can get a custom pipe made and grab a few flanges to do so, but before I go to all the trouble I figured I would ask and see if there is already a solution for this.
yeah it's called welding the cat up down stream of the turbo

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yeah it's called welding the cat up down stream of the turbo
So basically going with the original concept of going ahead and doing the custom aluminum piping, grabbing the flanges and to keep the CAT at the same level in the engine bay hopefully I can get the piping down to 4 inches out from the head to the cat.

I see then. :facepalm: Question answered.

I feel like I would have been better off just lurking more, instead of asking.

Thanks Davis.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
So basically going with the original concept of going ahead and doing the custom aluminum piping, grabbing the flanges and to keep the CAT at the same level in the engine bay hopefully I can get the piping down to 4 inches out from the head to the cat.

I see then. :facepalm: Question answered.

I feel like I would have been better off just lurking more, instead of asking.

Thanks Davis.
don't use aluminum

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
your not going to pass smog emissions with or without the cat. best bet is to find a shop that you can "grease the palms" of and do it that way.

Cali really sucks. you can also just weld the heat shield from the cat to the piping and it will at least look like you have a cat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts