8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then 2nd gear grinds and sometimes i feel like i hit it perfect and it doesn't go into 2nd cause a miss shift. Please, don't give me the driver error crap. I have been driving manual tranny for over 7 years. I just need to know WTF is wrong with my tranny. My car only has 700 miles on it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
81,069 Posts
Yes..

because its already hard to shift into 2nd without grinding without the short shifter. It will make it easier to grind with the short shifter installed.

The car can't keep up and basically by shortening the shift.. you are making the shift even faster making it more susceptible to grinding.

You can still shift fairly fast with the STS installed, you just have to get the timing down thats all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes..

because its already hard to shift into 2nd without grinding without the short shifter. It will make it easier to grind with the short shifter installed.

The car can't keep up and basically by shortening the shift.. you are making the shift even faster making it more susceptible to grinding.

You can still shift fairly fast with the STS installed, you just have to get the timing down thats all.
So the cable bushing really shouldn't have an effect just the sts??? Is there a sts that works better or should i take it off and go back to stock "Truck Throws" Also would amsoil mtf make any difference?

·
Premium Member
81,069 Posts
So the cable bushing really shouldn't have an effect just the sts??? Is there a sts that works better or should i take it off and go back to stock "Truck Throws"
the cable bushing tightens up the shifts. It does not decrease the throw. How long have you had the STS on?

You just have to get used to shifting fast with it. Don't shift like you normally would shift up from any other gear.

The gears can't keep up, thats why you grind, EVEN IF YOUr FOOT IS FLOORED ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL. You just have to take it thru a little slower.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cable bushing tightens up the shifts. It does not decrease the throw. How long have you had the STS on?

You just have to get used to shifting fast with it. Don't shift like you normally would shift up from any other gear.

The gears can't keep up, thats why you grind, EVEN IF YOUr FOOT IS FLOORED ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL. You just have to take it thru a little slower.
Would base bushing help? I was told they don't really do much. I have had for about 300 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
81,069 Posts
Would base bushing help? I was told they don't really do much. I have had for about 300 miles or so.
Base bushings just make the shifts feel more mechanical. Theres less spongy feeling when shifting. Thats all that does.

But yeah, you'll get used to the STS eventually. Try not to grind often :eek:hnoes:

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
Get rid of the crappy Honda MTF asap. I Had the same problem and I had about 1200 miles on it. I put Royal Purple 10w30 Motor oil in it and I haven't had 1 single tranny problem since. I have 11000 miles now and It's smooth as silk. I also have the Corsport SS and bushings. Alot of people say it's only a temporary fix but I think if you catch it early enough you won't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
81,069 Posts
also the only bad part about shifting slower is the fact that you can't possibly stay in vtec then of course it lags again. :banghead:
??? You don't have to shift slow.. just shift carefully. I shift fine and stay in vtec

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you guys have to realize i am a former sti owner so this is way different. I keep trying to find torque. lol. Its a fun car to drive just having alot of little irritations so far.

·
Premium Member
81,069 Posts
you guys have to realize i am a former sti owner so this is way different. I keep trying to find torque. lol. Its a fun car to drive just having alot of little irritations so far.
oh.. lmao...

Yeah.. 1st gear does run thru the tach pretty fast... it makes you want to shift extremely fast as well right? I say just practice and practice. Eventually the timing and speed will come second nature. You can bang thru the rest of the gears at the speed of light if you want :D just 1-2 you have to be cautious, but yes, you can stay in vtec the entire time.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My 2nd gear just crapped out on me today. It goes in 1/10 times. It sounds so harsh hearing it grind letting out on the clutch then seeing it pop out. It's gonna go to the dealer after new years and I put my stock intake back in. If I get denied and get shot down fighting I'll do a fluid change. If that fails I'll see if I can do a change/select lever check externally(which I doubt). If all else fails, I guess it's time for a rebuild =/. Few people have said that with the same problem, they changed with clutch/flywheel and the problem dissappeared. But if I see shavings of metal/brass when I drain the fluid... I guess its time for a rebuild AND a new clutch and flywheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.