8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...my car recently died on the freeway. I got it towed to a Goodyear by my house. Basically they explained saying that my time chain came off and messed up the pistons...and all in all I need a valve job. Total cost is anywhere from $1500 to $2000. Problem is they couldn't do it there and said that I had to take it to a dealership which I am assuming that it will be more...anyone have any suggestions b/c I sure as heck don't have that much money. (I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier that is paid off) Anyone have any suggestions or do I just need to pull out the credit card and deal with it later?:eek:hsnap:

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
Do you trust these people? If not, find someone you trust to either confirm or deny this is your problem. Make sure you don't get scammed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have been going there for years and my dad is friends with the manager. I mean unless I am being an complete idiot...I don't really know what else would be wrong with my car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had an 89 Nissian sentra years ago that did the same thing. The plastic timing chain guide was broken and the valves were bent. It took my dad and I months to fix it.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
SIdechick said:
So...my car recently died on the freeway. I got it towed to a Goodyear by my house. Basically they explained saying that my time chain came off and messed up the pistons...and all in all I need a valve job. Total cost is anywhere from $1500 to $2000. Problem is they couldn't do it there and said that I had to take it to a dealership which I am assuming that it will be more...anyone have any suggestions b/c I sure as heck don't have that much money. (I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier that is paid off) Anyone have any suggestions or do I just need to pull out the credit card and deal with it later?:eek:hsnap:
so this problem is on ur nissan frontier or ur Si?

there's no way u have 145k miles on a 8th gen civic already unless u drove around the world a few times.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
SI or frontier?

·
Premium Member
81,069 Posts
SIdechick said:
Looks like it's going to cost me $3000...should I just trade it in and use the $3000 for a new car?
With that many miles I probably would especially after what happened.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
The truck has an interferance engine so unless they mis diagnosed it then you should just sell it stating that the timing belt broke and it needs work. You may be able to get away with just a junkyard cylinder head if the pistons are ok and the connecting rods did not bend, used to be that way with Volvo, the valves would just hit a little.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts