8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know you prob thinking that I should use the "search" function given my thread title. But I am asking a more uncommon question or at least one that is harder to find.

I want to know when shifting, do you guys strictly follow the "H" pattern or do you just push the shifter to the gear you want.

More specifically, when up shifting from 4th to 5th, do you go "up, right and then up," or do you just push diagonally to 5th. I find pushing it diagonally makes the shift quicker, while following the"H" pattern requires more wrist action and more time(although not by much).

I am not sure but I feel that maybe pushing it diagonally will put some type or wear or strain on the cables or syncros. Please inform me.

Same question when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. I can heel-toe smoothly with all gears except from 3rd to 2nd because of 2nd's position. It takes a little longer, but I usually pull down, left and then down. I guess I can go diagonally down, but this doesnt feel as precise and I've gone into 4th once.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Normally when at a stop I like to reset my gears by going to 3rd than 1rst. When downshifting at 5th or 6th, I usually go into gear without going into the "H" pattern. It all depends on your speed, like I'd sometime be on 5th and engine brake to 2nd coming from an intersection to use less brakes.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Okay, I know you prob thinking that I should use the "search" function given my thread title. But I am asking a more uncommon question or at least one that is harder to find.

I want to know when shifting, do you guys strictly follow the "H" pattern or do you just push the shifter to the gear you want.

More specifically, when up shifting from 4th to 5th, do you go "up, right and then up," or do you just push diagonally to 5th. I find pushing it diagonally makes the shift quicker, while following the"H" pattern requires more wrist action and more time(although not by much).

I am not sure but I feel that maybe pushing it diagonally will put some type or wear or strain on the cables or syncros. Please inform me.

Same question when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. I can heel-toe smoothly with all gears except from 3rd to 2nd because of 2nd's position. It takes a little longer, but I usually pull down, left and then down. I guess I can go diagonally down, but this doesnt feel as precise and I've gone into 4th once.

Thanks in advance.
you aren't hurting anything by shifting into gears diagonally, as long as it is done gently (the same applies for shifting in straight lines through the "H" pattern.) you're correct, it can provide quicker rowing through gears if done properly. practice a lot and don't try to do it too quickly at first, as no shift is fast enough to be worth misshifting into 3rd instead of 5th, etc.

i suppose in some communities, strictly following the "H" pattern is known as "granny shifting" :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your replies guys. 8thcivic is the best auto forums that I have been apart of since I began driving at 17.

I do want to clarify that my question though. I am not talking about skipping gears. I mean, when upshifting or downshifting sequentially, do you move your gear selector according to the diagram on the knob|-|-|, or in this fashion |/|/|. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I knew exactly what you meant, no worries. There's absolutely no negative side-effects of shifting in that fashion. It should just be saved for when you are entirely familiar with the geometry of your gearbox.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Normally when at a stop I like to reset my gears by going to 3rd than 1rst. When downshifting at 5th or 6th, I usually go into gear without going into the "H" pattern. It all depends on your speed, like I'd sometime be on 5th and engine brake to 2nd coming from an intersection to use less brakes.
:yeahthat: when i was learning to drive stick i used to get yelled at for using brakes and not downshifting, lol.

·
Registered
661 Posts
As stated above, the only reason NOT to shift |/|/| is if you are not familiar enough with the gearbox.

Following the |-|-| will make certain that you don't accidentally downshift when you are trying to upshift, so it is safer for new drivers to use that pattern.

If you're familiar with the geometry and confident with your gear changes, then there is absolutely no mechanical reason to follow the |-|-|.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.