8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my radiator coolant fluid was kinda low viewing through the overflow tank...I wanted to top it off just to be ontop of things....

So is it safe to top off with a different brand of fluid? I see the car has some blue stuff init, probably hondas fluid...

Any trusted brands that work in conjunction with an si (fg2)??? I'm a coolant newb

·
Registered
674 Posts
There are two base flavors of coolant; propylene and ethylene based. Propylene is more environmentally safe but costs more money. Then you have the standard life, an extended life, and a mix of the two. The extended life is prefered because the manufacturers claim it can last up to 300k miles as long as you test it every 100k and charge it as required. Typically you test it with a refractometer and if the freezing/boiling point isn't what you want, you add more to bring it to the blend you need. I believe the Honda manual states to change every 100k miles which most people do.

The rule of thumb is to not mix colors. As long as you add coolant which is the same color you are fine. As a side note, there are two coolant manufacturers in north America (I think they are mobil and shell). There are many different brands though but they are bought from the same two refineries and distributed accordingly.Beware though that if you put into the tank the same color of a different brand there may be differences in the detergents and additives.

Its best to go by what the manual states though as some automobile manufacturers put extensive testing into which coolant is right for their engine. Different types of coolant have different pH levels which can actually harm engine seals.

The blue stuff you mentioned is an extended life coolant. If it were my car i would top it off with what Honda has to offer or any blue extended life coolant available at the auto parts store. Although there may be differences between the blue stuff in your car and what you are adding as long as you arent adding too much, it shouldnt make a difference or cause harm to the engine.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I agree about the "not mixing colors" concept; that's about the only place you can go wrong with coolant. Aside from the obvious pointers, often overlooked -- be sure you're putting either a pre-mixed 50/50 solution in, or making the 50/50 mix yourself from antifreeze concentrate (with bottled water.) Also, be sure it is aluminum-friendly!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:thumbsup: thanx alot bro... I might head on over to autozone to look for some "blue stuff" lol for my car... Don't feel like buying a jug from Honda for a markup...

"I want my blue drank"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts