8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:shrug: I will keep this very simple. :shrug:

What, if any…Does anyone know about these products (that pertains to the 06+ Civics)?

Mugen Fan Switch
Mugen Thermostat
Mishimoto Thermo Fan Switch
Mishimoto Thermostat
Mishimoto aluminum fan shroud kit

I would like some info (any that pertains to the 2006+ Civics) on oil coolers.

The questions:
Who makes them (Besides the companies listed above)?
Has anyone used any of these products before on their 06+ Civics (sedan or coupe)?
What were the results when it (any of the above) was used?
What really fits?
What really works?
Why did you use it (I know for cooling/safety purposes)?
What did you notice overall after/during/before the use of one of these products?
Where you N/A?
Where you supercharged?
Where you turbo?
What do you guys know about radiator cooling additives?
Has anyone ever used them and bad effects from them?
Do the products do what they are advertised to do?

Yes, I know this thread is going to get some dumb responses and replies.
Yes, I know there are a ton of questions.

But, I hope to learn some valuable info here and put it to good use. :hiding:

Thanks to all who reply.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
I have been giving some thought to this too. Dont quote me but i read in either HOnda tuning or modified magazine that the mugen thermostat was installed on a car. They tested it compared to the factory and the factory one kept the engine cooler. With that said this test was done prior to flashpro and adjusting the fan kick on switch or what not. The radiator cap which i want to invest in supposed to make your radiator more effecient in cooling the coolant.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
While we are on this topic of cooling .What do you guys feel about radiator cooling additives like mishimotos liquid cool stuff. Anyone use it and bad effects from it. does it do what its advertised to do? Im definitly interested in keeping my engine cool and longevity.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
While we are on this topic of cooling .What do you guys feel about radiator cooling additives like mishimotos liquid cool stuff. Anyone use it and bad effects from it. does it do what its advertised to do? Im definitly interested in keeping my engine cool and longevity.
Now that sir, is another good question. I am gonna add that to my post if you do not mind. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
go right ahead as im curious about all this stuff. Which route will give the coolest temps? Standard Honda coolant or aftermarket radiator cap thermo,switch and fluids??

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To clarify more.

Nothing at all is wrong with the/my stock cooling system. I just would like to know some ways to improve it. Make it perform better.

I am trying to keep my motor and supercharger cool. I have a CTE supercharger set-up, two of my friends are turbo’ed, and I also have multiple N/A guys I am friends with. The amount of room we all have depends on our set-up, obviously…But I posted this as a general discussion about cooling.

This discussion has come up multiple times whenever we all get together at the track or to just plain talk about our cars (we are all Honda guys). The main reason we talk about it so much is, we are in south Florida. It gets really hot down here, and the humidity here in the air can be cut with a knife.

I can only assume other people in Florida, Texas, California, Arizona, Nevada to name a few…Have either wondered this or thought about this at some point. Hence why I posted this thread.

But if you want me to be specific…I have a 09 Civic SI with a “tweaked” CTE blower. I have serious concerns about its reliability at the track, and as a daily driver. I want to improve whatever/wherever/however I can.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
you spend all that money on all that mugen crap or as my tuner (bugermass) suggested get a couple of SPAL extreme straight blade fans and use relays(they draw some massive current).

·
Registered
17,071 Posts
this are some good questions :scratches:

i am wondering also, i would like to track my car again. :waiting: on tips also

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
you don't need the fan switch since its controlled by the ECU, you can adjust the turn on turn off temps, i moved mine down 5F. don't go too low or you'll possibily burn up your fans.

i also asked bugermass about mishimoto radiators and he said its a crap shoot with them, and not worth it.

as far as oil cooling, I have no idea what my oil temps are nor do i know if the pressure drop from a cooling system will affect VTC since its operated by oil pressure.

I PM'd bugermass so hopefully he will put his two cents in.

my last dyno session saw some redonkoulous hi IATs and ECTs so he recommended relocating the battery and getting my intake out of the radiators airflow. he also recommended venting the hood or getting a vented hood, and/or the SPAL fans.

·
Banned
53 Posts
For water cooling, just look into a nice Koyo aluminum radiator, should be more than enough to handle what you need. Add some Flex-A-Lite fans into the mix and you are G2G on even the hottest days.

For oil cooling, which I highly recommend, I haven't seen any specific for the K20Z3, but the K20A has several options. Your best bet would be to buy a used Trust/Greddy kit designed for another car, or just the radiator if you can find it, and fab up custom mounts and put together the braided stainless lines yourself, it's really quite simple.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great info "Supa Ninja" and "K20Z34567"....

Thank you

·
Banned
53 Posts
I would normally say function over form, but I agree with Supa Ninja, the hood spacers are about the worst thing you can do to a Si, they look terrible.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
ok i would love to do the oil cooling lines n stuff but is there any bad effects for oil cooling in very cold weather? i live here n nebraska n we get both VERY VERY hot days where it could be in the 100s n then we have very very cold days where is could get in the -'s

1 - 20 of 137 Posts