8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished my oil change and as the oil sat in the pan, I looked at it and it was a little different looking than usual. I don't really know how to describe the color as anything other than normal. I used to own a turbo DSM and the oil looked very similar to a small amount of coolant leaking into my oil, a problem with those cars at high mileage. I checked the coolant level, and it was waaaay low in the reservoir. Any ideas why? The engine temperature seems like its staying in the normal band, not going high or anything.

Car is an '09 Si with 17k (I take long trips frequently) with intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Aghh former Dsm man.

Coolant + Oil = Milkshake

Milkshake usually means head gasket failure.

Also do you have a CAI installed? If so check the coolant hose to the throttle body that was replaced for leaks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A little low in your reservoir is not a big deal. Just top it off with some coolant.

As far as what you are seeing in the oil pan, a picture would help. As 11secDsM stated if it is a consistency of a milkshake, that is bad...or was the oil pan contaminated with something else in it? You did not state if the pan was clean before your drained your oil into it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Very true. As digger1978 said about contaminating the pan, i too have a tendency of putting oil/antifreeze/brake fluids in the same changing pan. So sometimes what you see is not really what it is.

Pic would help.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
coolant level in the reservoir changes. was the engine hot or cold when you checked?
when its hot there will be more coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.