8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hybrid vehicles are considered a risky long-term purchase by some, with unknown reliability of hybrid batteries and worries of possible replacement costs. While those fears may be exaggerated, Consumer Reports has found some damning evidence on one particular model: the Honda Civic Hybrid. For Consumer Reports’ April 2013 issue, the magazine finds that while other hybrid vehicles have an excellent reliability report, the Civic Hybrid has been plagued with serious problems. “The Civic Hybrid, which has been a reliable car overall in most years, has a big problem with its drive battery,” the report starts. ”The 2009 model was the worst: Almost one in five owners needed a replacement hybrid battery in our 12-month survey period.” The issues aren’t limited to just the 2009 model either. “But more than 10 percent of owners of the 2003, 2004, and 2010 models also needed one.”
Read more about the Honda Civic Hybrid at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Not surprising since there was already a class action suit on this.

Owners got a lovely $100, or a credit towards another Honda (that they are already mad at).

Lawyers got $$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
141 Posts
The batteries and all the rest of the hybird parts are under warranty for more than 150k miles. The battery will get replaced before that so it's a good deal. What's the problem ? Oh Yea. Lawyers !

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
yep and HOnda is not covering the batteries. Thats what u get for being a tree hugger lmao. They used to cover it but all they saying to do is do a update for it... also they say if u dont drive it , it wont charge which is reasonable.

i wouldnt cover it if i was a manufacturer bc soo many variables can cause the IMA battery to be low and deteriorate. There is atleast at a minimum 1 hybrid that comes in ever other day in a week.

new warranty for factory warranty is 8 yrs/80k.. extended warranty i gotta look it up

·
Registered
141 Posts
Honda is covering the batteries.8 years/80k was the old warranty that they started with. They are 150k now. I installed one last week with 125k on it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just checked with Honda and the IMA battery has up to a 11 year/ 170k warranty. Honda stands behind there cars.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Then why do you own one ? Name another company that stands behind them better than Honda and Toyota. Can't wait for your reply .

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Honda is covering the batteries.8 years/80k was the old warranty that they started with. They are 150k now. I installed one last week with 125k on it.
yeah and its back to the old warranty. the longer warranty is for honda care . Only way to know for sure is Vin status inquiry and check IMA warranty thru there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No it's not Honda care. I work at a Honda dealer and re-checked the warranty on the IMA battery. I thought it was 150k and found out they just raised it to 11/ 170 on 06 to 08 cars and 150k on the rest. I have full access to Honda warranty online. If you work at a dealer look it up ! Don't guess

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
yes i work at a honda dealership as a tech , was too lazy to look on isis. but now i have it says this:

To determine
the vehicle’s IMA battery warranty, go to the iN.
• Under SERVICE, select Vehicle Information.
• Select Powertrain & Emissions Inquiry.
• Select the Customer State, and enter the VIN.
• Enter the failed P/N 1D010-RMX-A01ZA under Part, then click Submit.

Year/Model Original Warranty Extended Warranty Warranty Claim Information
2003–05 Civic Hybrid 8 years/ 80,000 miles 9 years/ 96,600 miles Warranty Claim Information A
10 years/150,000 miles 11 years/170,100 miles Warranty Claim Information B
2006 Civic Hybrid 8 years/ 80,000 miles 9 years/ 96,600 miles Warranty Claim Information C
10 years/150,000 miles 11 years/170,100 miles Warranty Claim Information C
2007–08 Civic Hybrid 8 years/ 80,000 miles 9 years/ 92,000 miles Warranty Claim Information C
10 years/150,000 miles 11 years/162,000 miles Warranty Claim Information C

which i was saying to go on here and look for the emissions warranty on the battery. They say if it has a IMA battery DTC to do an update FIRST and not to replace the IMA battery

·
Registered
141 Posts
Correct . They want you to do the update first if it needs it. We have found that after the update the light comes right back on. So if the light comes back on that day we have them call us and we order a battery. If it needs no update we order the battery. Most people on this site can't look this info up.So the statement that the batteries have over a 8/80 warranty was true. Just trying to put proper info out on this site.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Didnt know u was a honda tech too. Yeah update is just a bunch of croc , its obvious that the IMA is junk. Ive seen the MCM fail and or having a mismatched update for the wrong IMA that will cause it to come on and throw the IMA deterioration code. Or when a customer doesnt drive the car and it just sits there and not being charged, a bunch of factors come into play with why the hybrid reliability is throwing a red flag. But i agree i dont think any other automaker has the hybrid warranty like Honda but then again no other manufacturer hybrid system fails like Honda LOL.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was a Honda tech for 13 years but after a bad car crash I had to stop working on them. I work for a great dealer and they brought me back as dispatcher / shop foreman. I do miss working on them. I spend more time dealing with customers & paperwork and work many more hours than I did as a tech.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I am happy with my cars IMA system, despite it failing at 100,000 miles Honda replaced teh battery free of charge, I got the system update each and everytime they sent out a message to do so.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
This Hybrid should have been an Acura....for its cost alone. Maybe honda should have released a turbo civic/accord instead...

·
Registered
56 Posts
After seeing this i wanted to sell my 2009 Civic Hybrid on the spot. I did more research and they make it seem worse than it really is imo. Yeah Honda charges around 3k. But you get like 800.00 back for core charge. Companies already make batteries for our cars for around 1,500.00. and with all these new hybrids on the road now prices are just gonna get cheaper.

I am lucky I have had 0 Problems so far and hope to stay like that. I bought my Honda 2 years ago and have put 20,000 miles. Honda gave my 10 year 100,000 warranty on the powertrain and 10 year 150,000 on the hybrid side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts