8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i posted a topic about my router and my ps3 here

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52041

well i think i figured it out. but im still confused about my network security. i found this and did this and it worked fantastic:dancing: no more random ps3 loggin outs

So now you know: if you came here via Google for “Linksys router WRT54G crash network playstation 3 ps3″ the answer is, go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser and look for the DMZ option (it’s hidden under a menu, and location varies depending on your router firmware version). Pick one IP in your range (which is probably 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.110, and not one of the low ones since that’s your computer probably). Put it in the DMZ field. Then do the PS3 network setup manually. You will need to know your DNS servers, your subnet mask, and whatever IP you picked. Leave everything else the default, probably.

so i think i enabled my dmz. my concern is my network safe and is my computer that is hard wired to my router safe???:eek:hnoes: thanks for readin.

questions, comments and concerns please:popcorn:

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I don't have a PS3, but you're referencing the PS3's IP address in the DMZ option. Theoretically you are at a larger risk because DMZ forwards all ports on the specified IP address. Meaning, you won't need to specify which ports need to be forwarded because everything is out there in the open. The more tedious way of doing it is figuring out exactly which ports need to be forwarded and adding them to that page.

I also have a WRT54G and it's a great router. Well, I have the GS version.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yodums said:
I don't have a PS3, but you're referencing the PS3's IP address in the DMZ option. Theoretically you are at a larger risk because DMZ forwards all ports on the specified IP address. Meaning, you won't need to specify which ports need to be forwarded because everything is out there in the open. The more tedious way of doing it is figuring out exactly which ports need to be forwarded and adding them to that page.

I also have a WRT54G and it's a great router. Well, I have the GS version.
it is a great router. have had no problems with it with my computer, or my xbox360. but this damn ps3 is garbage. how would i know what ports to open and how do i open them

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
You'd have to find out which ports need to be opened. Your best bet would be a PS3 forum or waiting till someone who has a PS3 chimes in. As for how, there is a port forwarding page. I'm not using the factory firmware for these boxes, but the idea is still the same:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can they get at the computer with all the ports open or just get at my ps3? cause whats to hack in a ps3. and i dont do much on my computer but email, surf the intrawebs, and some online bankin(not alot) am i riskin alot here? sorry but i dont know much about networking or security. kinda learnin as i go

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
this all sounds so difficult, why didnt they just make it the same way they made the psp. all you do is search for a signal and thats it

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
organiz3d_chaos said:
sounds like you put the PS3 in the DMZ, shouldnt be a problem, Most could happen is someone could hax0r your PS3
thats what i wanted to know and thought... thanks a ton man

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
The fact that you are nat'd leaves you fairly secure in the first place. Just change your password on the router and make sure you dont leave any services running overnight like Bittorrent and no one is gonna take the time to crack you. There are easier targets out there.

Just dont piss of a |_337 with your online gamer trash talk. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts