8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one off of a 8th civic member yesterday used. Installing it wasn't too bad, but that blue cap is a pain in the ass.

Now that I am diving with it, I notice a somewhat shorter shift, but I also notice that gears 2, 4, 6 and Reverse all seem more notchy and rough than usual. Everything seems to take a bit more effort to shift, which I like. Much more solid feeling. Just wondering about the notchyness. Is that normal? Almost seems like it is rubbing, or bumping against something.

·
Premium Member
112,534 Posts
I bought one off of a 8th civic member yesterday used. Installing it wasn't too bad, but that blue cap is a pain in the ass.

Now that I am diving with it, I notice a somewhat shorter shift, but I also notice that gears 2, 4, 6 and Reverse all seem more notchy and rough than usual. Everything seems to take a bit more effort to shift, which I like. Much more solid feeling. Just wondering about the notchyness. Is that normal? Almost seems like it is rubbing, or bumping against something.
It is rubbing. shouldnt be a problem. itll rub through the plastic eventually and itlll be smoother. My car had that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the cap got scratched up a bit, but nothing too bad.

The short shifter sits in the cap, and rotates within the cap, so any scratches on the outside of the cap shouldn't make a difference.

Why did they design a ss that rubs? Wouldn't that be something they would have seen in the design phase?

I'll have to make sure it is on there tight.

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
the cap got scratched up a bit, but nothing too bad.

The short shifter sits in the cap, and rotates within the cap, so any scratches on the outside of the cap shouldn't make a difference.

Why did they design a ss that rubs? Wouldn't that be something they would have seen in the design phase?

I'll have to make sure it is on there tight.
make sure its pushed all the way up. mine has never rubbed:thumb:

I have heard that the 09 Si's are different not sure if this claim is true or not though.. So guy was selling his based on this asumption but i cannot claify the validity of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, it doesn't rub much anymore, just drove it around a bit. Noticed it smoothing out a bit as I drove. Opened it up to look and see what the deal was, and it had rubbed a nice grove in the shifter housing.

problem fixed...kinda. It is on there as good as it can be. Not sure why it was rubbing, but I guess it isn't a problem anymore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i'm sure you have it on all the way. they just don't fit properly without some "trimming" as they say. i have an 09 si and i just tried to install a s2 shift adapter and it's not even close to fitting. i don't know why the 09's are so much different, but i would've had to shave a lot off the shift base to make it work. and i'm not going to hack up my car because people can't make a properly designed piece. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
If I were you I'd cut/trim the black plastic off alittle to get into those gears without rubbing it. I had to or else those gears you mentions wouldn't even go in. A little customize should be needed to get it to work correctly. Some models don't need to, my model needed to. It is an aftermarket part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.