8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont see a lot of people using a oil catch can with the k20 really at all.

Is it need or really really needed? I dont hear much about it, My friend just got a genesis coupe 2.0t and he bought a ram air intake and he was fooling around today and took if off to measure something and he looked inside to find a lot of oil residue. I will be takin mine off tomorrow to check, But i dont want my supercharger to look like his intake and mine had been on for almost a year, and his intake was only on for about 3 weeks.

So really my question is, Should i buy a catch can?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hey Nick, I would look into the catch can. Before removing my blower I wasnt a real big fan of catch cans. After pulling my blower off I found oil in the bottom of the manifold just sitting there about 1/4" deep. With the CT setup there really isnt any way for the oil to make its way into the combustion chamber and burn off. A catch can would definitely prevent any of this oil build up in the base of the manifold. Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
It would be great if some one would come up with a DIY for one.
I had one running from the valve cover to the CIA intake but never got any oil in it so I took it off.

I have been told there is a better place to hook it up but no one has been able to show were and how like in a DIY that would help ALOT :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can actually make a small one for around $12 from Home Depot, I did this on my old nissan. You just get a water catch from an air compressor, and two barbs. Ill see if i can find pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hey Nick, I would look into the catch can. Before removing my blower I wasnt a real big fan of catch cans. After pulling my blower off I found oil in the bottom of the manifold just sitting there about 1/4" deep.
Same here. Last night, I removed blower and there was a little amount of oil sitting on the bottom of manifold as well. I made catch can as it shows in DIY links. Its pretty simple. It usually fills up half way in about a month or so. I can snap some pics if anyone wants.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
The secret to doing the CC's on our cars is to make it so its a breather style as opposed to a inline one.
1. remove the pcv, either drill the guts out or punch and hammer them out, reinstall it.
2. cap off the 1/4" port on the left side of the IM(or whatever you whiney guys use on your blowers)
3. run a 5/16 hose from the pcv to the catch can
4. run a 5/8 hose from the VC to the CC.
5. either use a baffled CC or stuff it with steel wool
6. your all done, too easy

you can make a CC out of almost anything, be creative.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
if it's catching oil, does that mean i have to change/top off my oil sooner than usual once i have the blower on? these are things that n00bs to boosting need to know :)

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
its catching what would normally get burned/collect in the manifold. oil top off intervals remain the same. also keep in mind with boost your going to have more blowby past the rings.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
gotcha. even though i have no idea what 'blowby past the rings' means...
is there like a 'supercharger maintenance bible' around here?
like oil change/top off intervals? belt change/tighten intervals? etc? haha
and i thin im gonna ghetto fab a can like you ninja : )
i just need to figure out where/how to install it : (

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
just keep an eye on all the levels/belts and you'll figure it all out. You'll have to be creative with the location, mines in the driver fenderwell. oh ya boost will blow more fuel/air past the rings then a NA will, my CC catches crazy amounts of ethanol.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
All the girls do too. :giggle:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Btw, my catch can is a Carbing. I got it because it came with a nice mount and it's fairly small and I had a good place to mount it. There's also a drain bolt on the bottom and a clear oil level tube on the side. However, it's an inline setup with no breather....so it's not exactly like Supa's setup.

From Carbing (you can tell it's JDM from the horrible Engrish, lol):

The item will allow for the release/blowby of gas and oil and will return it to the combustion area of the engine. In turn, the engine will remain cleaner and performance will remain optimal in addition to a great engine bay dress-up piece!

Carbing oil tank is compact body (75mm x 300mm) easy to fit design. Both 10mm or 15mm bracket hole size models are available. Carbing Oil tank interior design has oil separator. Longer inlet pipe improves oil-gas separation. Drain bolt for easy oil dumping is one of the standard features for Carbing oil tank. Its also equipped with oil level gauge. Hoses are tough heat resistant, oil resistant and bend resistant bladed hose to accommodate use in high temperature Engine room.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah i am goin to buy a greddy 1 and install it, I will throw up some pics soon. I am gettin the 9 MM 1.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.